Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-09-2021, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Mineshaft air?

What is it and how much more performance can 1 expect? I ran Friday and Saturday morning at Norwalk and thought it was good but was told it was not by many who said they slowed down from home tracks. If you ran at Norwalk this year did you run your best ET ever or was it down?

Old 08-09-2021, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Goat1 View Post
What is it and how much more performance can 1 expect? I ran Friday and Saturday morning at Norwalk and thought it was good but was told it was not by many who said they slowed down from home tracks. If you ran at Norwalk this year did you run your best ET ever or was it down?
In NHRA terms it is when 1 more than 1/2 of the field runs (I believe it is) -0.8 or more below their index.

What was the station BP, temperature, and either RH% or Vapor Pressure when you made your runs.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 08-09-2021, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a totally subjective answer; but we were so used to racing in the Midwest at DA's above 2500' that we were really excited the few times that the DA was down approaching 1000'.

FWIW:

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-09-2021, 11:29 AM
Suspended

Friday was decent.....I was hooking like a MoFo, Saturday and Sunday I was running slower then Friday but i also wasn't hooking (Saturday was really bad for hook). Yes the weather was better then MOST years, normally its 85-90+.
Sunday i was getting 2,300'.

GTO George

Old 08-09-2021, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Friday was decent.....I was hooking like a MoFo, Saturday and Sunday I was running slower then Friday but i also wasn't hooking (Saturday was really bad for hook). Yes the weather was better then MOST years, normally its 85-90+.
Sunday i was getting 2,300'.

GTO George

On Saturday every run I made was faster than anything I ran on Friday and my 60 foot on Friday was 2/100 quicker on Friday than Saturday...

Comparing between Norwalk on those dates and my home track those same dates...

Friday in Norwalk

Tulsa same date...

Saturday in Norwalk

Tulsa same date...

Norwalk is physically 257 feet higher than Tulsa...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 08-09-2021, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
In NHRA terms it is when 1 more than 1/2 of the field runs (I believe it is) -0.8 or more below their index.

What was the station BP, temperature, and either RH% or Vapor Pressure when you made your runs.

Stan
See above

Old 08-09-2021, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked up a few historical dates and I see some pretty good DA on a few days in November and December in Tulsa...what should I pick up going from around 4,000’ DA to say -150’ DA?

Old 08-09-2021, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NMCA St Louis (weekend of 5/13/21): DA was -500 ft to +900 ft; ran mid 9.80's

NMCA Martin Michigan (weekend of 7/23/21): DA was 2600 to 3200 ft and 90% humidity (120 to 130 grains of water); ran high 10.20s to low 10.30's.

No other changes.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 08-09-2021, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
NMCA St Louis (weekend of 5/13/21): DA was -500 ft to +900 ft; ran 9.80's

NMCA Martin Michigan (weekend of 7/23/21): DA was 2600 to 3200 ft and 90% humidity (120 to 130 grains of water); ran high 10.20s to low 10.30's.

No other changes.

K
That’s exactly the type of info I was looking for! It looks like you made up almost 1/2 second! Outstanding! No jet changes?

Old 08-09-2021, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Mineshaft ?

Quote:
What is it...
I think it means different things to different people.

Here's what somebody on the Class Racer site posted.

" Mineshaft determination

The rule states.

"To decrease the potential for horsepower/index adjustments when favorable atmospheric (i.e. “mineshaft”) and/or track conditions may have contributed to extraordinary performance the NHRA has developed a system to protect the racers’ horsepower/indexes. If at the conclusion of qualifying the first competitor in the bottom half of the field is -.850 seconds or faster under the class index."..."

As mentioned, this is for class cars which have a horsepower rating given them by NHRA.

For drag cars that don't have a rating, the word mineshaft would obviously have a different meaning.

I assume different people would have a different opinion as to exactly what conditions could be considered mineshaft, at a particular track, on a particular day.

My guess is that it is a very elusive number, which would probably seldom be agreed upon by all participants at any track.

I remember that we always had to dial about a tenth quicker at night, as compared to our daytime dial-in, especially in hot weather.

We saw a few guys checking weather conditions with instruments, each round. But, we usually ran the same tracks every week, therefore knew about how much our cars would pick up.

Would sometimes get free time trials because of bye runs or an opponents red light. Would make a full pass to get a better idea of the ET difference, from the earlier, warmer temps.

This is probably WAY more info than anybody wanted to read. If this is you, please accept my apology.

The Following User Says Thank You to ponyakr For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2021, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Going from DA 4000 to DA Zero will be almost a 9% HP increase. There is no way to tell what a give car will do. Will you now have problems hooking, etc?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 08-09-2021, 12:22 PM
Suspended

Every car is different, rarely 2 cars are the same............ a car making A LOT more HP will possible not hook on the same surface a LESSER HP car will. Alcohol is different from gas, lots of factors to consider. Also some cars don't run the 1/4 mile at their home track so they have their car set up for an 1/8 mile track.

GTO George

Old 08-09-2021, 12:31 PM
Suspended

The air was no where near mineshaft!

GTO George

Old 08-09-2021, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

George I am one of those 1/8th mile guys...I never set my car up for 1/4 mile but it just so happens it will run it. Our bracket class at Tulsa is 1/8th mile and I like to run some 6.0 index stuff as well. I am suspecting I will pick up this late fall which is cool so I can get me one of those cool signature lines at the bottom of my post...

I agree it was nowhere near mineshaft at Norwalk but it was a lot further down the mountainside than Tulsa...

Old 08-09-2021, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd call below sea level mineshaft conditions.

Norwalk looked like it had some excellent conditions for their track.
Don't know anything about Tulsa track, but I'd say they were in the heat wave there, not real good conditions.

One reason to know what the weather conditions are when you run.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-09-2021, 01:30 PM
Suspended

Quote:
George I am one of those 1/8th mile guys...I never set my car up for 1/4 mile but it just so happens it will run it. Our bracket class at Tulsa is 1/8th mile and I like to run some 6.0 index stuff as well. I am suspecting I will pick up this late fall which is cool so I can get me one of those cool signature lines at the bottom of my post...

I agree it was nowhere near mineshaft at Norwalk but it was a lot further down the mountainside than Tulsa...
Who cares what tulsa weather compared to Norwalk...why was it even mentioned..? Is there a point?

GTO George

Old 08-09-2021, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
I'd call below sea level mineshaft conditions.

Norwalk looked like it had some excellent conditions for their track.
Don't know anything about Tulsa track, but I'd say they were in the heat wave there, not real good conditions.

One reason to know what the weather conditions are when you run.

That’s all we have here is summer heat and humidity...it’s not a heat wave when it’s the norm...

Old 08-09-2021, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Who cares what tulsa weather compared to Norwalk...why was it even mentioned..? Is there a point?

GTO George
It was mentioned because I want to know the difference would be having less DA and how Norwalk for me was like a power increase yet for some was a power killer... It’s my thread and I am sure there are much mor knowledgeable people on this forum who can help with my question than your close minded, my way or it’s stupid, self...

Old 08-09-2021, 02:30 PM
Suspended

Quote:
It was mentioned because I want to know the difference would be having less DA and how Norwalk for me was like a power increase yet for some was a power killer... It’s my thread and I am sure there are much mor knowledgeable people on this forum who can help with my question than your close minded, my way or it’s stupid, self...
Just was wondering where you were going with it.

GTO George

Old 08-09-2021, 02:31 PM
Boost Engineer

#1 The world does not revolve around Norwalk "air" conditions.

#2 The PY Race board does not limit a RACER from Posting the Atmospheric Conditions at his Track vs at Norwalk's track.

#3 Atmospheric Conditions are based on Sea Level conditions and rough corrections are made for other altitudes and temperatures for tuning purposes or comparing track conditions on a given day.

Keep posting 69Goat1 and ignore the "noise" in the thread.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post: