Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-08-2021, 11:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default E 85 tester results with quick fuel tester

Hey everybody,
I'm using the E85 quick fuel tester.
I'm getting one result as 85% ethanol from mixing the tester GENTLY as prescribed in the directions.
I'm getting another result from the same sample by mixing HARSHLY as 74%.

I'm trying to understand this as what is the best technique and what is the quality of the fuel that I'm trying to run in a 12 1/2 to 13 to 1 car.

Thank you so much for your careful consideration of this question as I've attempted to research this several times on different sources on the Internet.

Craig

Old 08-09-2021, 08:21 PM

Interesting question. I mix it hard, and sometimes have to wait awhile for it to stabilize.
I feel it would mix more thoroughly shaken fast, and may not mix well gently. I will have to check both ways and report back

Old 08-09-2021, 10:29 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigG. View Post
Hey everybody,
I'm using the E85 quick fuel tester.
I'm getting one result as 85% ethanol from mixing the tester GENTLY as prescribed in the directions.
I'm getting another result from the same sample by mixing HARSHLY as 74%.

I'm trying to understand this as what is the best technique and what is the quality of the fuel that I'm trying to run in a 12 1/2 to 13 to 1 car.

Thank you so much for your careful consideration of this question as I've attempted to research this several times on different sources on the Internet.

Craig
A few questions:

1) You go to a gas station and pump out a small amount of "E-85" fuel into a container. How big is the container you pump the "E-85" fuel into prior to putting some into the actual E-85 Tester.

2) Once the E-85 is in the E-85 Tester, how long do you wait prior to taking a reading?

3) Do you fill the vehicle with "E-85" fuel at the pump or wait until you get home to add the fuel?

Last Question:

4) When you buy the "E85" tested fuel do you buy a couple of fuel cans full or buy a 55 gallon drum full of the tested "E-85" fuel?

There is a reason why I am asking these questions.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I normally shake it real good to get an accurate reading on my QF E85 tester.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have absolutely zero knowledge of the process, but here's the question that crosses my mind.....

Is it possible that violent shaking entrains some air or moisture into the liquid (much like a can of coke with CO2 dissolved in it), that throws off the measurement?

If you shake gently measuring 85%, then shake violently and read 74%......what happens if you let the mix rest for awhile and measure again? Does it stay at 74% or gradually return to 85%?

Questions without answers....FWIW

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-10-2021, 08:30 AM

The test tube has a measuring line that you fill with water to(approximately 25%) then fill e85 to higher line(approximately 75%) shake to mix. It doesn’t really measure the ethanol, but the gas in tube. Then separation of 2 meniscus and read on scale.
I assumed op was reading same sample.
I mix in batches so I know what’s going in car. I will try to test my batch today

Old 08-10-2021, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The main reason of the water is to 'connect' to the alcohol in the sample.
The alcohol/water then separate from the gasoline leaving a definite 'line' or separation. I'd say if mixed vigorously, the sample would have to settle for a while. The never shaken sample I would think may not be accurate until all the water attaches to all the alcohol it can. Either way, I'd let it sit for awhile.

Dragracertoo, does the instructions for yours give a time for reading it?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-10-2021, 01:05 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
I have absolutely zero knowledge of the process, but here's the question that crosses my mind.....

Is it possible that violent shaking entrains some air or moisture into the liquid (much like a can of coke with CO2 dissolved in it), that throws off the measurement?

If you shake gently measuring 85%, then shake violently and read 74%......what happens if you let the mix rest for awhile and measure again? Does it stay at 74% or gradually return to 85%?

Questions without answers....FWIW

Eric
My point exactly, Eric.

If the directions say do the reading gently, WHY DO PEOPLE DEVIATE FROM THE PRINTED INSTRUCTION, (ON EVERYTHING).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My method is as follows. I have two testers, they are cheap. The decal on each is in a different location, one was more accurately placed when it was installed, compared to the other tester. I did mention that they are cheap? Probably made in China…lol

By running two tests at the same time, there is less room for error in my opinion, but your results may vary. I like to stand each tester adjacent to the other, so I can verify I am filling each accurately compared to the other. Be careful to read the meniscus carefully and consistently, for better results.

Always agitate the E85 prior to testing it. I lay my drum down and roll it back & forth several times, before standing the drum back up, and opening the cap. I pump some E85, back into the drum to assure I am drawing freshly agitated E85 out of the drum and into my plastic cup, that I will use to fill the testers. Always reinstall the cap tightly when finished, and not in use.

Fill each tester with the water from the same source to the appropriate line. I keep a bottle of water in my cabinet for testing E85.

Top off each tester with E85 to the appropriate line, and install each cap.

Shake both vigorously, and place them both in the plastic cup and place cup in the cabinet where I store my test equipment.

Wait about ten minutes for the mixture to separate, the longer the better, but ten minutes should do it. The separation line will be crispy clear if you wait.

I always buy about 52 gallons at a time in my plastic 55 gallon drum.

I test it after I get home. If it tests above 85% I water it down with some 87 octane pump gas. It it is below by a considerable amount, I re-jet my tune for the new mix. I only had to do this once. My engine actually liked it better after I got the Jetting right. The is because gas burns easier than ethanol, so it liked it.

Once you have tested it, it will not change as long as you keep the caps on the drum tight, out of direct sunlight and on a couple 2x4’s to keep it off the concrete.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 08-10-2021, 01:36 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455firebird1969 View Post

KEY POINT.

Wait about ten minutes for the mixture to separate, the longer the better, but ten minutes should do it. The separation line will be crispy clear if you wait.

I always buy about 52 gallons at a time in my plastic 55 gallon drum.

Once you have tested it, it will not change as long as you keep the caps on the drum tight, out of direct sunlight and on a couple 2x4’s to keep it off the concrete.
The shaking just gives you a common starting point for the testing.
The 10 minute wait process above tells the actual story

Tom V.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
If you shake gently measuring 85%, then shake violently and read 74%......what happens if you let the mix rest for awhile and measure again? Does it stay at 74% or gradually return to 85%

Eric
It will read the actual percentage if you give it about ten minutes or so, regardless of how much you shook it, whether gently or vigorously.

My theory is to mix it vigorously to assure a good mix, and then allow plenty of time to allow for full separation.

1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 455firebird1969 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 08:10 PM

I tested my E85 today, Gently mixed test tube end over end let settle and read. Shook same mix fast and let settle and read. Mixed new sample fast and let settle and read.
All reading read the same. I agree on settle time for full separation. Directions most times are vague, it should have addressed the separation time more thoroughly.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What I consider vigorously, you may not, so it’s a subjective definition.

Shake it up, let it sit until separation, and read your percentage.

It’s not that hard.

Craig, you can PM me if you want., or you can call me at 912 667-4232….Axel

Old 08-11-2021, 04:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey everybody,
I want to thank everyone for all their good comments, ideas willingness to support figuring this out and for me to learn.

In addition to what people have said, I have re-learned the old scientific principles of measuring away from established standards and repeatability.

What I noticed is that with mild shaking of the test device I could duplicate a false reading of a high-level of ethanol content and with more significant agitation and allowing for a five minute or longer wait time I could get an accurate reading. I also noticed that with strong to severe agitation that the overall amount of liquid would reduce as I assumed that the alcohol absorbed more of the volume of the water – thus giving even a lower and inaccurate level of alcohol – although just a few points lower.

Again thanks everybody for all your help and willingness to reach out and allow me to call you and talk to you – I’m sure I’ll take you up on that favor sometime soon.

I’ll let you know when I’m getting to the track and have found some good fuel one way or another.
Thanks, Craig