Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 08-05-2011, 03:02 PM

Default Tri-Power Carb Kits?

Hey Guys,

Anyone know where to get quality 2bbl kits? The chain parts store kits I have been getting are junk.

Thanks, boway

Old 08-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We get Borg Warner from Blackstone Auto Parts, Blackstone, VA. A REAL LIVE old fashioned parts store, with a manager that KNOWS the biz! Stuart knows the part numbers to go after. They keep brass floats in stock, too. Ask around your area for who sells BW.

NAPA has Echlin. They're still pretty decent. I prefer the BW. They have brass floats as well.

Jim

Old 08-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Senior Chief

http://www.pontiactripower.com

Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ditto Pontiactripower.com I have known Mike for 15 years and he is a straight shooter and puts together the best of the best when it comes to parts and kits. Also, I know Jon at the carb shop in Eldon MO puts good kits together as well. As far as I can tell, Jon is the only source for the original style leather accel pumps. Never used these, but it sounds like a good idea.

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. P-Body View Post
We get Borg Warner from Blackstone Auto Parts, Blackstone, VA. A REAL LIVE old fashioned parts store, with a manager that KNOWS the biz! Stuart knows the part numbers to go after. They keep brass floats in stock, too. Ask around your area for who sells BW.

NAPA has Echlin. They're still pretty decent. I prefer the BW. They have brass floats as well.

Jim
Its always been my understanding that BW is,or at least was the best and NAPA Echlin a close second.

Most chain type stores here sell whatever they can get cheap,they are not worried about quality.
And never seem to carry a brand for very long.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do these come with base plates?

I see a guy on Ebay selling rebuild kit with new base plates....$300.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...52272813312072

Old 08-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That kit comes with base plates, but they are the small ones.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Senior Chief

very impressed with the kits I received from Jon at the Carburetor Shop, http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wolf, what was included, and what did it run $$?
If you dont mind

Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugratman View Post
Wolf, what was included, and what did it run $$?
If you dont mind
I honestly can't remember the costs, but I'm guessing around $60. As for what's included, it's just about everything you can imagine, right down to new jets, idle screws, power valve, correct vacuum hose for choke pulloff, springs, clips, check balls, gaskets, needle/seat, etc. etc. The only additional thing I would have liked in the kit is a new brass float, but that too may be available now, since it's been a while since I ordered my kits. What impressed me most was the kit included exactly the parts you need for that carburetor PN, and nothing more. i.e. it's not like a typical carb kit that has 100 gaskets you won't need (Jon's kits are specific to individual carb PNs).

Old 08-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
very impressed with the kits I received from Jon at the Carburetor Shop, http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/
Ditto....

I am about to order another set for mine.......

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 08-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Its always been my understanding that BW is,or at least was the best and NAPA Echlin a close second."

None of that is true at this time.

With the economy taking a nose dive and carburetors falling into the "sinking ship" catagory, the parts suppliers have all went out of business or been bought out. All the parts come from the same basic source at this time, so you aren't getting better stuff from one source vs another.

The NAPA Echlin line used to have the good stuff, now they have the same parts you'll find in a kit from Pep Boys. Same with BW, Highgrade Standard, Delco, etc.

You will also find a LOT of kits becoming not available for the 4GC and 2GC carburetors, as many have been in the slow moving catagory for so long, they are being dropped from the catalogs.

We're seeing some of that with Q-jet kits and parts as well. Many choke pull-offs are NLA, and more disappearing from the catalogs all the time.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 08-11-2011, 05:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Guess its time to i stock up on a few kits for my trips.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Today, there are basically two manufacturers of the carb kits found in the parts houses, Walker and Weatherill. These are purchased wholesale from the two manufacturers, and reboxed into whatever brand your FLAPS sells.

There are at least 3 independents that offer a fairly comprehensive line of carburetor rebuilding kits to the hobby. These are:

Daytona Carburetor Company in Florida
AFLA in St. Louis
The Carburetor Shop, located in the beautiful Missouri Ozarks.

There are also a number of specialized independents that offer kits for a few applications. Cliff Ruggles (Q-Jets) and Mike Wasson (tripower) are good examples of these.

I would like to suggest those from The Carburetor Shop

From a historical standpoint, in the 1930's, the top of the aftermarket line was Standard Hygrade. This continued until approximately 1955 when Standard Hygrade discontinued their line of Fingertip kits and converted to the Jiffy kit. At this time, Hygrade, Ecklin, BW, etc. were a little better than the kits found in the catalogs and the cutrate auto parts stores. By 1956, the only GOOD kits available were those from the original car manufacturers, and even these continued to go down hill, as the general public DEMANDED cheaper prices and a total disregard for quality. For a time, the auto manufacturers offered two lines of kits (good, and same quality as the FLAPS); but that fizzled out in the late 1960's. Up until about 1955, Carter, Holley, Rochester, and Zenith ALL offered really good kits; but again, the public's demand for cheap prices caused the discontinuance of the good stuff in favor of the cheap stuff. Those that can remember the Carter red and black boxes, the Holley 85R- kits that preceded the 3- kits, and the old Rochester 7 digit kits (preceded the T series, the VT series, and the power series) will know the difference.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.

Last edited by carbking; 08-14-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If anybody makes one with a good accelerator pump(60-65),it would be worth any price.The parts store kits are JUNK!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A little more information on the FLAPS carburetor repair kits.

These kits basically contain the fuel valve(s), accelerator pump (or cup), check balls, pin springs, gaskets, a plastic float gauge that is about as accurate as a hand grenade, and a set of generic instructions that are probably not correct for any specific carburetor.

The two expensive items in these kits are the fuel valve and the accelerator pump. Thus the manufacturers do a "spreadsheet" to determine ALL of the carburetors that use a specific fuel valve and accelerator pump; and then add all of the pin springs, check balls, and gaskets that might be used in any of the carbs using the fuel valve and pump. The correct application of gaskets is left to the owner/rebuilder. Actually the preceding isn't totally true, as the fuel valves in these kits often ignore the original carburetor manufacturer's orifice size (a good application of the "one size fits none").

The instructions are the same. The exploded view is for a generic carburetor of the type. Often there is a tiny line in print too small for me to read without a glass "parts in your carburetor may vary". This, by the way, is the reason we DON'T put these instructions in any of our kits. We recommend the purchase and use of the manufacturer's shop manual for the vehicle.

Finally, these kit manufacturers have a minimum sale policy. If they don't sell an average of 1000 of each kit annually at the wholesale level, the kit is discontinued. LOTS of these kits get discontinued annually. Cliff touched on this issue in his last post.

Jon.

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J GLASGO View Post
If anybody makes one with a good accelerator pump(60-65),it would be worth any price.The parts store kits are JUNK!
We offer MOST conventional pumps (not diaphragms) in leather rather than neopreme. We also offer the conventional neopreme pumps in kits at a reduced price.

Jon.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:44 PM

Jon, are your customers still required to purchase the kits for ALL THREE Tripower carbs from you as a set ($$$), or is it possible to purchase the kits with the leather accelerator pumps for the 65 and 66 center carbs individually?

1965 GTO (Black) TRIPOWR
464CI TriPower 4-Speed

1965 GTO (Blue) 3X24SPD
464CI TriPower 4-Speed
Old 08-14-2011, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X24SPD View Post
Jon, are your customers still required to purchase the kits for ALL THREE Tripower carbs from you as a set ($$$), or is it possible to purchase the kits with the leather accelerator pumps for the 65 and 66 center carbs individually?
Set only. This is true of all multiple carb setups (2x1, 3x1, 2x2, 3x2, 2x4). We always package them as a set.

Jon.