Old 08-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was there that weekend at Atlanta!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I remember at the 1988 POCI Nationals in Wichita, Milt had the red car there. He was struggling with ET's in the 12.70 range. He said it fell on its face at the top of every gear. We looked at the plugs and saw only white porcelain. I had some .073" jets with me, so we changed the end carb jets and he ran consistent 12-teens that day. I have 8 mm video from those runs, but can't put it on Youtube until it's digitized.

I thought the car had Super Duty "980" heads on the 421 then, but that was 30 years ago and I may not be remembering it right. I do remember it sounded a lot different than my '64 GTO!!
I can believe the "Sounded Different" Dick on Milt's engine.

Stroker crank (He was always worried about the engine rpm he was turning).
Today 4.5" cranks run 8000+ rpm.

The Lunati Camshafts he was running at the time were "Cheater" Camshafts that had the basic 744 camshaft .006" checking specs but had MUCH GREATER .050" and .200" lift and duration numbers. I still have one of his used "744 Camshafts" under the bench. Came out of the "421" engine.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.