Old 05-15-2016, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Post #11 is the best picture I could find.

Old 05-15-2016, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are the best pictures I can find of my mirror, driver's side. As I previously said, the same mirror will be mounted in the same location on the passenger side.

The only problem I foresee is limited adjustment of the mirror swivel itself, not interference with the side window or vent window.

I will report results as soon as it is mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bergstrom All-Pontiac Show 001.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	428492   Click image for larger version

Name:	DOYOC Todd Zimmermann's 015.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	428493   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO Front Fenders, etc 002.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	428494  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-15-2016, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am pretty sure an original mirror should have a date code on the glass. "Bill"!

Old 05-15-2016, 11:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wink mirrors on a '65

I just installed dual mirrors on my '65 GTO. I am using identical (looking) mirrors. They are each mounted 3-1/4-inches from the front edge of the door, and in the middle of the scalloped portion of the door. I can adjust it to see the side of the car with the passenger side mirror. Originally, with only a driver's side mirror, it was mounted outside of the vent wing vertical chrome pillar. I am not even thinking about concours stuff, just having 'functional' mirrors This is working for me.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put both drivers and passenger on my 64 Lemans and I will either need to move them or remove the passenger side.

I placed the passenger side where the drivers side is located and the passenger side is pretty much useless. To far forward to see most of the mirror and adjusting is as Jim describes.

If I do move them, I imagine I will set the passenger side then the drivers side to match.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Question $1750.00 Mirror

As I recall, the restoration manual mentioned that if a remote (operated) mirror was installed on the driver's door, an identical looking but NOT remote adjustable mirror was available for the passenger side. Could this be this super expensive mirror being mentioned earlier??

Old 05-16-2016, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescratch View Post
As I recall, the restoration manual mentioned that if a remote (operated) mirror was installed on the driver's door, an identical looking but NOT remote adjustable mirror was available for the passenger side. Could this be this super expensive mirror being mentioned earlier??
Yes.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALFWAY View Post
I put both drivers and passenger on my 64 Lemans and I will either need to move them or remove the passenger side.

I placed the passenger side where the drivers side is located and the passenger side is pretty much useless. To far forward to see most of the mirror and adjusting is as Jim describes.

If I do move them, I imagine I will set the passenger side then the drivers side to match.
We moved the passenger side mirror all over the place, and nothing worked. It's going back together without a passenger side mirror.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just finished installing the mirror on my wife's '64 GTO passenger side. This "standard" style mirror does work for this application. You can see the door handle and side of the car.

As a further point of information--many of you know this already--please don't think I'm trying to preach!! Try adjusting both driver's side and passenger side mirrors so you can JUST BARELY see the side of the car or even a little further out than that. You will find that driving in traffic, especially changing lanes, is much safer than the "conventional" adjustment. The inside mirror will give you a good view behind you, whereas the side mirrors show you the lanes next to you. Once you get used to this adjustment, you'll likely not go back to what we learned when we began driving. This also applies to your daily driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	428714   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2541.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	428715  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-19-2016, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you going to be able to see it with the vent windows installed?

Old 05-25-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescratch View Post
You are correct. My convertible has both the fender mounted remote drivers side and the passengers side matching dummy mirror. It is worthless from a usability standpoint but it looks nice because it matches the drivers side.

On another note I'm also a victim of the passengers side standard mirror. My wagon had none so I added them to both sides at the stock location only to find out you don't have enough adjustment on the passengers side.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thought: '64 GTO's often had the rear view mirror mounted on the front fender....I wonder if you would get the range of adjustment you need if you went with fender mounted mirrors? The look is different, for sure. Just a thought...