Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-16-2024, 03:42 PM

Default BOP Timing Belt Drive belt replacement

Anyone done this on an assembled engine? Any tricks?
looks like a good idea to fab something to mark then lock the 2 gears to each other before taking off the old one.
Any tension specs?

Old 01-17-2024, 06:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi: Not sure this will be of any help. But I just did a timing belt on our 2014 Acura RDX. I watched quite a few videos before doing the job. Anyhow, after turning engine over to TDC one guy said to mark the belt and the cogs at the crank and the cams before removing the belt. So I made a mark on the crank and both cams as it's a V6 with a cam for each head. I also transferred the marks to the new belt and even counted the cogs on the belt to make sure everything lined up on the new belt. When I installed the belt I ended up with one of the cams one tooth out. This is where I got a bit concerned. So I sat there looking at it and of course over thinking it. I took a wrench and put a bit of tension on one of the cam gears so I could line up the mark on the belt and sure enough, everything lined up. I had never done one of these before and I was pretty nervous. The dealership or should I say the stealer-ship wanted $1400 to change the belt. 4 hours later and a belt cost of $90 and I was done.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8STEVE View Post
Anyone done this on an assembled engine? Any tricks?
looks like a good idea to fab something to mark then lock the 2 gears to each other before taking off the old one.
Any tension specs?
won't be necessary for that, just line up your marks and "slide" the belt on/off.

Old 01-17-2024, 02:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Hi: Not sure this will be of any help. But I just did a timing belt on our 2014 Acura RDX. I watched quite a few videos before doing the job. Anyhow, after turning engine over to TDC one guy said to mark the belt and the cogs at the crank and the cams before removing the belt. So I made a mark on the crank and both cams as it's a V6 with a cam for each head. I also transferred the marks to the new belt and even counted the cogs on the belt to make sure everything lined up on the new belt. When I installed the belt I ended up with one of the cams one tooth out. This is where I got a bit concerned. So I sat there looking at it and of course over thinking it. I took a wrench and put a bit of tension on one of the cam gears so I could line up the mark on the belt and sure enough, everything lined up. I had never done one of these before and I was pretty nervous. The dealership or should I say the stealer-ship wanted $1400 to change the belt. 4 hours later and a belt cost of $90 and I was done.
I hope that they were quoting more than just the belt for that price, I change both belts, waterpump and hydraulic tensioner for that price.
The rear camshaft tends to move a little and can throw it off a tooth on those motors. One tooth off won't hurt anything just down on power, good that you caught it.

Old 01-17-2024, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya they said $1400 Canadian for the timing belt with parts. Another $900 to do the water pump. and check a few other things. So they were around $2500 to $3000 with our Tax of 5%. i Said to hell with that. I'll do it myself and save a ton of money. Plus once I got into the job it actually was so easy and I really enjoyed doing it. I also made myself an engine holder so I could remove the front motor mount. I was a bit worried about screwing things up because these engines as you know are interference engines. But I just took my time and keep thinking about what I was doing. Thanks for the reply.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post: