Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-03-2023, 10:09 PM

Default Vacuum Pump, pull from Valve Cover or valley pan?

I was considering welding an aluminum bung in the center of my valley pan so I can pull from there but is there any inherent problems doing so when the valley is mostly closed due to using a mega brace or aftermarket block?

Let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-04-2023, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think pulling from the valve cover is the best. That is what I have done with three engines and has worked problem free. I would say the highest point to try stay away from the oil also. And to come out at the front of the valve cover as during acceleration the oil migrates to the back of the valve cover. I did valve cover on our IA2 with great success.

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used these from GZ and had my son weld them to the valve cover. They also work as a place to put oil in the engine.
https://www.gzmotorsports.com/VCB100-breather.html
https://www.gzmotorsports.com/VCB101-oil-fill-cap.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	624371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	624372  

68 Firebird. IA2 block, 505 cu in, E-head, Solid roller 3650 weight. Reid TH400 4:11 gear. 29" slick.
Best so far 10.12@133 mph. 1.43 60 ft.
76 Trans am, TKX .81 o/d, 3.73 Moser rearend,
468 with KRE D-ports, Doug headers, 3" Exh.
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckies76ta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I pull from the intake side of the valve cover as recommended by GZ. I'll post a picture later.

The Following User Says Thank You to gman005 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 08:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hopefully the valve cover;that's where Moroso put the fitting when they made my valve covers.

Ken French Built Chassis

Carlquist Competition Engines IA2 505
Competition CNC Ported Super Chiefs
CCE Ported Gustram
Twin Dominators from Shaker 455
963 HP

`09 Electra Glide Standard.

`03 F-350 7.3 6-speed 4x4 Crew Cab Dually.
The Following User Says Thank You to BDHABT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We originally had our vacuum fitting in the valley pan area on a stock style 2-layer pan. That did not work well for us on the drag strip. We would fill and overflow a 1 quart breather tank in 1 run. Sealed that area off and moved a -10 bung and hose to the very top and front of a valve cover. Made an internal box baffle to keep liquid oil from splashing directly into the fitting. Pulled 12-14" of vacuum with a wet sump 80 lb. pump. That set-up put about 1-2 tablespoons of oil in the breather tank. Worked well.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 01:08 PM
Senior Chief

I had mine at the front of the valve cover and it would fill my catch can and spray all over the engine coming out the filter on top on a short trip. So a nice fellow told me to come from the center of the valve cover at the top, worked great plus I went with the Motion catch can a little expensive but worth it. I went on a 200 plus mile trip to Phoenix and back and got 2 table spoons out of the catch can.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTO JONES For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 01:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
-10 bung and hose to the very top and front of a valve cover. Made an internal box baffle to keep liquid oil from splashing directly into the fitting. Pulled 12-14" of vacuum with a wet sump 80 lb. pump. That set-up put about 1-2 tablespoons of oil in the breather tank. Worked well.
This is exactly what I did after every baffle out there sucked oil. I get very little to no oil at all. I do run a -12 line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00656.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	624384   Click image for larger version

Name:	vc inside.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	624385  

Old 12-04-2023, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polichena View Post
This is exactly what I did after every baffle out there sucked oil. I get very little to no oil at all. I do run a -12 line.
Now that I think about it more, the inlet hose from the valve cover to the pump may have been a -12. I just can't be sure. If you have room for a -12, I would use one.

Old 12-04-2023, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have any air leak in the motor, it will pull oil into your overflow tank. If you do not have good ring seal, it will pull oil into your oil tank. You can pull vacuum from where ever you want. If your motor is sealed properly, you will have no oil in the tank. Most pull from the valve cover because it is easy to do. You need to baffle your pickup location or you will pull oil into your overflow tank.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Langer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2023, 08:51 PM

I do have a motion raceworks oil tank that I’ll use.

John, do you pull from both valve covers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-04-2023, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nick, I bought these cheap valve covers on Amazon and put a #12 bung fitting here and welded in a baffle like in Dave's photo of his.
I do not get any oil in the catch can, pull lots of vacuum and no leaks.
But, these valve covers are fabricated and oil will sit in the lip on the bottom rail. I had to put some Permatex #2 on the bottom of the valve cover gasket or it would weep a little oil.
Right now the driver side has a Erson stamped steel valve cover and it does not have that lip and never leaked.
Its on there temporarily until I can get my smaller brake booster installed. The fabricated one just hit mt stock booster.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1390.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	624409  

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2023, 01:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some may pull to much to begin with. Start out with a really small vent hole in back of valve cover.

Old 12-05-2023, 05:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is where I pull from with no oil in my catch can.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210807_073748.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	624428  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gman005 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2023, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
We originally had our vacuum fitting in the valley pan area on a stock style 2-layer pan. That did not work well for us on the drag strip. We would fill and overflow a 1 quart breather tank in 1 run. Sealed that area off and moved a -10 bung and hose to the very top and front of a valve cover. Made an internal box baffle to keep liquid oil from splashing directly into the fitting. Pulled 12-14" of vacuum with a wet sump 80 lb. pump. That set-up put about 1-2 tablespoons of oil in the breather tank. Worked well.
Just to add a little emphasis to Mike's story, this was a true back-to-back comparison. When we moved the pickup location to the valve cover (with baffle), there were no other changes.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2023, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Single pickup off 1 valve cover. You can not pull too much vacuum. Use a -12 line. If it is set up properly, you will not get any oil in the overflow tank.

Old 12-07-2023, 03:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When you say "you can not pull to much vacuum", can you explain a little bit ?
This is my first V pump and it pulls at least 10 in foot-braking it at 2000RPM. I do not know how high it goes down the track because its only been down the track twice and I did not have a gauge on the cowl where I can see it. I do now.
I do not have a regulator on my pump and the Moroso tech told me you do not want anymore than 12-15 in. going down the track. He says you can pull oil away from your pins.
The good regulator is kind of expensive and if I did not have to buy it that would be great.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
When you say "you can not pull to much vacuum", can you explain a little bit ?
This is my first V pump and it pulls at least 10 in foot-braking it at 2000RPM. I do not know how high it goes down the track because its only been down the track twice and I did not have a gauge on the cowl where I can see it. I do now.
I do not have a regulator on my pump and the Moroso tech told me you do not want anymore than 12-15 in. going down the track. He says you can pull oil away from your pins.
The good regulator is kind of expensive and if I did not have to buy it that would be great.
In a drag race application, you want to pull as much vacuum as possible. This not only helps with reduction of crankcase windage but also stabilizes the rings sealing the cylinder. I have seen as high as 22" on a 5-stage sump pontiac with a vacuum pump. I'm working on engineering a system that will pull around 22-23" with out the vacuum pump. The vacuum pump draws around a 3hp reduction.

The Following User Says Thank You to John Langer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2023, 01:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I run an external pump, on the dyno when we got to 15 inches there was a drop in Oil Pressure, reducing back to 12 it came back up. Don't know the why, so 12 it is for me. I'm running 9qts in my Moroso pan.

Last edited by Dave Polichena; 12-07-2023 at 01:42 PM. Reason: spe
Old 12-07-2023, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polichena View Post
I run an external pump, on the dyno when we got to 15 inches there was a drop in Oil Pressure, reducing back to 12 it came back up. Don't know the why, so 12 it is for me. I'm running 9qts in my Moroso pan.
Atmospheric pressure is what pushes the oil from your sump into the pickups intake tube. Pontiacs are kinda small at .609.
Bill Miller did a test on such things and found where cavitation starts in his tests.
I enlarged the dia of my pickup to .818 because I was going to run a V pump and the pressure difference was going to be less.
Trying to avoid cavitation.

A thread on it.
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=858492

And another one in the Street Section that got closed by you know who.
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=849800