Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Suspended

That's just my luck finally got my new heads and now this.How can I explain this to my wife ( Honey these new heads are really,,,bahhhhha....

Old 01-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Polar, That is one, but not the only, reason that I don't have a wife!

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm wondering when is a Pontiac no longer a Pontiac. Don't get me wrong about this, I'm not casting my vote one way or the other right now, in fact I was a little excited at first. But then I started thinking, with the intake totally different, convertible exhaust, put them on an IA block, you can even get timing covers that utilize a sb Chevy water pump. How will anyone recognize it as a Pontiac? Just curious about other opinions on this.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCreech

Ditto!

'74 ventura, (Fired july 14/06) '74 462 4-bolt (9.5-1), SCAT, Ross, T-II w/850DP (shaker455), TH350, Conti 10'' 3800, Supercomps, Magnaflow, 3'' Pypes, 3.73's, 28x13.5-15 ET streets.

1970 Beismeyer 17' flatbottom vdrive, 11.8:1 455P, ported heads, dual Qjet tunnel ram.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1050goat
I'm wondering when is a Pontiac no longer a Pontiac. Don't get me wrong about this, I'm not casting my vote one way or the other right now, in fact I was a little excited at first. But then I started thinking, with the intake totally different, convertible exhaust, put them on an IA block, you can even get timing covers that utilize a sb Chevy water pump. How will anyone recognize it as a Pontiac? Just curious about other opinions on this.
A SB2 engine is still a chevy engine even though it looks quite a different than a traditional SBC.

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 01-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The other reason is you live in alaska and the only pussy there is attached to a polar bear

Rex

Old 01-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That is one of the things that has always turned me off of the hemi head deal for pontiacs. Now a nice set of RA-V heads using current technology would appeal to me (and I know there has been some talk/movement of some kind on this deal by lynn).

Still, anyone tooling up new parts for pontiacs is a cool deal in my book.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:03 AM

Sounds Like the Heads P-Dude is waiting on.....time to cash in that IRA ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE
I'm in the process of waiting on the first set of Canted Valve Pontiac heads. Using over the counter components and flowing in the 400 cfm range......... no offsets required. Using the RAIV or E-head exhaust system. And at an Affordable $2995.00 ready to bolt on!!!!! Will need a I.R. intake that is currently and over the counter available or one is in the works with Pontiac logo.
Same deal as Moroso has the covers. Will be working with StreakaBuilt too.

We will be the dealer for this exciting new Head.
First head core has been poured and I have the pics.

Now for the Same as Cheby and Ferd.................

Will be working on a 535 IA II block engine package in the 850hp pump gas, billet crank, hydraulic roller engine. Complete package from carb to pan. Dist and wires. Flexplate to balancer. Bolt in and go.

BBC in the same set up by the aftermarket engine builders run around $16,000.00

I will try and offer a Pontiac Crate 850hp Crate Engine In the SAME price range.

Depending on the Availability and testing before I get a set I have decided to work on my Street package deal. Those mid seven second DR stock suspension dudes are too bad for me. LOL.

If everything works out Ok and I get a set of the NEW heads..... in time. I plan on stepping up the street 9 second deal for Pontiacs.

My past 535 with 305 cfm cleaned up E-heads, Victor, 1050 Dominator with a hyd roller, 10.5-1 compression...... ran '4' 10.50 passes in a 3550lb 76 T/A with a glide & stock suspension. Then went to the chassis dyno to get some numbers. And it woulda went low 10's if I had changed from my nitrous drivetrain to a N/A set up.

Here's the deal depending on the designer and casting times:

1: Bolt on a set of Out of the Box Canted Valve heads with an untouched intake. Requires No shaft system. See what ir runs and head to the same Chassis dyno.

2: Then, pull the cam only, step up the the biggest hyd roller i can work with my specs and head back to the track & dyno.

3: Pull the heads and intake. Port em' and then........ head back to the track and Dyno.

4: Head to VMP in May with my mid 9 second street car on pump gas with a hydraulic roller. Oh........... and add a mild plate system. 8's?????

Another nice option with this design is the use of BBC rockers. Gives the choice of 1.6 to 1.8............ over the counter.

Stay Tuned

Formerly..... Dreambird72
Old 01-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is no way a real Pontiac engine will ever be built NEW again. If the new tech pieces can run quicker all out against the rest of the brands, people will start running Pontiac instead? Maybe? These aren't street 500 hp heads. No way an aftermarket piece can be a true Pontiac anyway.Not sure why there would be an arguement if the goal is all out performance. I am in awe at the available parts in the last 5 years. Pontimetamorphi !!

Old 01-08-2007, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ron, I don't think there's an arguement here, at least not from me. I just wanted other opinions on this. I'm glad there is so much interest in the aftermarket for performance parts for Pontiac. I'm just wondering at what point has it been redesigned so much that it's hard to call it a Pontiac. Again, I'm just thinking out loud. You might even see a set on my car someday.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote"

"That is one of the things that has always turned me off of the hemi head deal for pontiacs. Now a nice set of RA-V heads using current technology would appeal to me (and I know there has been some talk/movement of some kind on this deal by lynn)."

The Ram Air V is a stolen design from the Ford Tunnel Port engine, plain and simple. Ask Anyone.

Why would this "Ford" head on a Pontiac be ANY different from the other FORD head (Ram Air V)?

Personally I would like to see it built.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar-Pontiac
That's just my luck finally got my new heads and now this.How can I explain this to my wife ( Honey these new heads are really,,,bahhhhha....
LOL- tell her you now need new canted valve heads for the transmission to match the new heads you bought for the engine. she won't know the difference.......

Old 01-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

um, tom, yates heads are STILL very good.
3 years ago we made almost 900hp naturally aspirated on a 392 inch motor doing less then 8k rpm....

Old 01-08-2007, 12:44 AM
Suspended

Here's what you do; get a chevy chassised race car, put these new Pontiac more or less styled engine combo's in it, modify a Pontiac timing cover to go over the belt drive such as Ray Cox did, then make sure you parade with the hood off thru the pits at the next drag race. When you spank the chevy guys, they will be wanting to know what is THAT engine!?! It helps to have the saying on your back glass that says; Pontiac powered because chevy engines are too slow. Make sure the large Pontiac emblem is visible.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:49 AM
Suspended

Tom V., You are correct on the Tunnel port heads. And having built serveral Yates headed small block Fords, I can say that a traditional sbc can't compete. That's why the sb2.2 and sb2.5 's were designed. They are basicly nothing more than current Pro Stock heads down sized for the bore spacing of the race only sbc.
BTW, For those questioning where does it stop being Pontiac, look at how long the competition hasn't been remotely close to production style engines, but look what they call them anyway.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to NHRASuperStock455SD

If you like running close to Pure Pontiacs run NHRA stock or Super Stock with OEM castings. Of course that is probably changing too. It is called PROGRESS gentlemen. Otherwise we are all nostalgia racers!

Tom V.

So, Ford had the V-8's in the Duece Coupes! I suppose we all stole that too, but then Ford stole and is still using the revolutionary stamped steel rocker a patent from Pontiac Motors, and the OHV V-8 which was originally mass produced in the 1949 Olds and subsequently switched by Pontiac with the StratoStreak engine in 1955. Other divisions leaped onto the success of the OHV V-8 too. My father had one and he says all the Ford guys couldnt touch him. In fact, the rocket V-8 was also the Indy pace for 1949. It was way fast in its day and way cool.

Let's just say, they all stole from each other. I always like to say we let Ford do the prototype work, then Pontiac added a few improvements.

This head looks very nice and has some very nice features. It looks essentially like a Cleveland head with the valve order swapped on 4, 8, 3, and 7. The intake ports are moved away from siameze location like the Cleveland which is a novel approach. Improves CSA, but sacrifices, homgenious runner length. I think this a good move. It will be interesting to see how engine builders tune those runner lengths. Way better than choke to deal with on larger cubic inch engines.

I can also see some additional material added to the bottom of the casting which should help a bunch.

Lynn

Last edited by NHRASuperStock455SD; 01-08-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
"How will anyone recognize it as a Pontiac?"

Who cares? As long as I know that it's a Pontiac, and not a chebby, I'm happy!

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 01-08-2007, 01:35 AM
Suspended

Believe me, when that engine is what it should be, metalic blue, they know it's not a crapy chevy

Old 01-08-2007, 02:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught
Quote"

"That is one of the things that has always turned me off of the hemi head deal for pontiacs. Now a nice set of RA-V heads using current technology would appeal to me (and I know there has been some talk/movement of some kind on this deal by lynn)."

The Ram Air V is a stolen design from the Ford Tunnel Port engine, plain and simple. Ask Anyone.

Why would this "Ford" head on a Pontiac be ANY different from the other FORD head (Ram Air V)?

Personally I would like to see it built.

Tom V.
Yep, they were copied from ford's direction no doubt. But real, tangible, genuine PMD heads were created from this design, giving some credence to creating aftermarket heads with similar designs. Any aftermarket heads using this design could be claimed as an improvement on original PMD (yes, ford copied) heads.

To my knowledge PMD never produced any hemi heads. Seems kind of foreign to me when compared to RA-V heads.

Just seems to me that at least an aftermarket RA-V head would have a little more PMD lineage than a hemi head would. Maybe pontiac could have taken their RA-V research further if they had been allowed. We'll never know.

With that said i'm glad to see any kind of fresh thinking/design/products that are for pontiacs.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What ever happend to bulldog heads?