Old 12-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default what clear varnish for dash?

fixing up my dash, and have the new aluminum backed walnut insert. Although the finish looks a little on the light side, it is supposed to be "correct" so says the literature.

The instructions say to use a "sealer", but what is best? I was thinking of something like Spar Urethane in satin, which puts a nice looking finish on my house window trim and holds up to sunlight, etc. But will that be too much shine for the dash?

In an earlier thread, I see people are using "special walnut" stain for their steering wheels and unstained dash inserts. Again, what type of sealer or urethane could be used on the steering wheel?

By the way, the SEM Landau Black looks really good on the plastic dash. I used the SEM plastic primer first, which adheres well to the plastic. I am ready to try my $50 can of Killer Chrome next. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 12-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let us know how that "Killer Chrome" works out. I like to use polyurethane on my woodworking projects with a satin finish. When I redo my dash insert again, this time with the aluminum backing, I believe that I would use the Min-wax satin urethane.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Prev post I used satin poly in the spray can on both the dash and wheel fine steel wool in-between coats and then finish off with minwax.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen the Killer Chrome on Old Goat 67's GTO. For what it is it looks pretty good. Yes you can tell the difference, but it's not all that bad.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Considering I have spent $100 on sem paint and killer chrome, I am thinking the $350 new repro dash is looking better every minute... of course I will have extra paint for the next project.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only repo dashboard made is the 67.... no 66 repos made that I know of. The 66 dash pad will not work with a 67 dash.... they are different. You'd be better off finding a restored or a rechromed 66 dashboard. Or better yet, restoring your original.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 12-29-2013, 02:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I know this is one of those areas where everyone has an opinion of what looks best as far as wood finishes go. I like the wood to look like real wood & not like it has a coating of plastic over it. When I have the dash stained the way I want it, I just wipe it with old english lemon furniture oil. I wipe it down every once in a while, especially before a car show & it looks great & like real wood.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brand new reproduction plastic dash bezels are now available for both '64-5 and '66. They all come pre-painted as if you have either an all black interior or a car with parchment interior. (The car's with white seats all had black dashes and black carpet.) If you have a red, blue, gold or aqua interior then you would have to paint the bezel to match.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
Brand new reproduction plastic dash bezels are now available for both '64-5 and '66. They all come pre-painted as if you have either an all black interior or a car with parchment interior. (The car's with white seats all had black dashes and black carpet.) If you have a red, blue, gold or aqua interior then you would have to paint the bezel to match.
Who's selling the bezel?

Old 12-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Who's selling the bezel?
Xs 2. Us 66ers need to know so the info can be passed on.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 12-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is a repo dash from the Parts place pd 349 for it make sure to check the a/c cutout if you have a/c it has a template stamped in the back but mine was off almost a 16th of an inch overall fit was very good I think Ames is selling them now. I used the Parts place wood veneer with the aluminum backer and re stained it with special walnut and 3 coats of spray poly and then wax same with the wheel someday I hope to get a real wood wheel but for now this will do this is also the rally set fro PY very happy with the finished product.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dash 102 (Small).JPG
Views:	93
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	347872

Name:	dash 103 (Small).JPG
Views:	97
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	347873

Name:	dash 104 (Small).JPG
Views:	72
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	347874

Old 12-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the look of Geeto's walnut insert, but is it a little darker than what was shipped from Pontiac? I do not have a concurs car, but try to keep things relatively close unless I have a strong personal like in another direction...

Here is a snapshot of my Killer Chrome job. I also bought the chrome trim rings which I set in place just for the picture. The killer chrome is decent, but not as good as some pictures I have seen. I may have put it down a little heavier than I should have. It will look good once all the stuff is back together.

With that said, I am now thinking if I could sell my current bezel for what I have into it ($100 in paint product), I may spend the $350 for a new bezel. Let me know if anyone is interested! For $100, this one is a great driver quality bezel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dash.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	347929  

Old 12-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMHO I say the color of his walnut veneer is about as close as you can get. Looks very nice... as does his Grant wheel.

And from what I can see you yours with the Killer Chrome, it looks pretty darn good too. Nothing there to be ashamed of Leellm.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 12-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Might want to check to see if our host sells the bezel. I bought one for my 68 dash and while it is/was reproduced by The Parts Place (name cast into back of bezel) I bought it from PY. It was the same cost or maybe lower IIRC than The Parts Place. Bought it at the 2012 PY open house event. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
Who's selling the bezel?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/350568489911?lpid=82

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrainer View Post
Might want to check to see if our host sells the bezel. I bought one for my 68 dash and while it is/was reproduced by The Parts Place (name cast into back of bezel) I bought it from PY. It was the same cost or maybe lower IIRC than The Parts Place. Bought it at the 2012 PY open house event. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Not yet I talked to them and they said possibly this year I would have purchased from them when I got my gauge set.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I tried 4 different stains this was the closest maybe if you wipe t off faster it will come up a lighter color it looks lighter than the pic was dark and rainy out.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Post another if you can taken on a brighter day. From the rainy day photo is looks very very close to my original insert.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 01-01-2014, 02:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I always thought the walnut veneer had a stain on it and then a shellac. The ones I remember from back in the day had a gloss to them if I recall correctly.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, but more of a semi-gloss. At least it was like that in my 1st 66 GTO, that was only 4 years old when I bought it. The original in one I have now is on the low semi-glossy side... not the greatest of shape but still useable.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"