Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2022, 05:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Antiroll Bar Captive Nuts

So.. Continuing the pain in the arse theme..

On a second gen there are two brackets on the front subframe that hold the central part of the front antiroll bar. This last weekend I finally went to replace the bushings. Well, one of the three bolts never came out. It loosened for a bit then just spun. I continued and got the bushings changed but, of course, that one doesn’t stay in now. Probably because it is impossible to fully tighten the bolt that just spins. Mine is a 71 and the bolts fit a 8mm Allen key (maybe it’s 5/16 or whatever but 8mm is a good fit).

So I am sure I am not the first. I guess I have to try to get ahold of the captive nut inside the subframe. It’s on the steering box side also of course. What’s my path to getting to that nut without taking half the front end off? Also, if you remember, what’s the nut? 9/16?

I can’t leave it. There are no straight roads here and speeds are somewhat high. I really can’t afford for the front handling to suddenly change dramatically without my knowledge.

Sam

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod