Old 12-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Senior Chief

Here is a picture of mine....there are no stickers on them but they could have been removed.... I did a search for Canada pontiac hub caps and the ones from the cars from Canada all say Pontiac pontiac on them none say PMD on them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	346117  

Old 12-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry, you provided a good write up here.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=619742

Also, I do not believe either of these caps (9774609 or 5738083) was used on any Canadian Pontiac model. The marking on the cap reverse would have been to identify that the cap was produced in Canada, nothing more.

"Pontiac Motor Division" was generally included on wheel covers and hubcaps designed in the late '50s thru the mid '60s. This is true of 9774609, as it originated in '64. It was unusual in that it remained the std hubcap for several more model years. Most wheel cover and hubcap designs were short-lived.

Wheel covers designed for '66 were generally devoid of any Pontiac identifier.

Wheel covers designed for '67 thru '69 tended to say "PMD" on the center cap. One exception was the '71-'72 Custom wheel cover, it showed "Pontiac Motor Division". AFAIK, it was a new design for '71, not a reprise of an earlier wheel cover, so it was an exception to the general convention.

New designs from about '72 up began to generally show the Arrowhead in the center.

I think the Canadian Pontiacs had their own distinct hubcaps and wheel covers. But it is possible that PMD enlisted the Canadian vendor to produce the 5738083 as a cheaper alternative to the 9774609 stainless cap and the "Pontiac Pontiac" identifier might have been same as used on caps produced at the time by that vendor for Canadian Pontiacs and the "Pontiac Pontiac" may have helped to minimize the tooling requirements.

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
The artwork kicked out by the advertising studios, many months before the cars were introduced has been proven over & over to be just that... artwork. Close but often with errors when it comes to details. Ck out the '71 Pontiac brochures, there is a '71 GTO convert in the brochure with a chrome button AM-FM radio/stereo. The artwork is somewhat dark of this "car", & the chrome buttons created contrast in the shadows, that's it. Some owners, for over 30 years, have used that artwork as license to install chrome button AM-FM stereo's out of GP's into their Pontiac A-bodys & show them as original restored... that is not how those A-bodys were were built. Started pulling original AM-FM's out of '69-72 Pontiac A-bodys over 3 decades ago & yet to run across such a deal.

Being printed many months before the actual models release, the service manuals also have errors in them when it comes to certain parts. I noticed several glaring errors flipping through my well worn '71 service manual looking for wheel cover representation for the OP.

...Going by artwork & black & white often generic multi-year usage " stock pictures" opens one up to making false assumptions. Hope this helps.
This is absolutely true.

In my previous assignment one of my tasks was to go through all the product literature (advertisements, brochures, owner manuals, service manuals) and make sure it was accurate and that any adverstising claims were substantiable. I had to sign a document on behalf of the Vehicle Chief Engineer stating such.

So - I say all this to say: you know there's a possiblity for mistakes to slip though in those!

(lol)

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post: