THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-18-2023, 01:10 PM

Default eye cataract

I hope this topic fits okay in the Lobby, maybe there are other's who could benefit.

I had my yearly eye appointment a couple days ago. I've had correction since high school and normally eye checkups are just confirmation things are good and do you want new glasses? This year is quite a bit different. Now I have no intention to sound whining. My problem is NOTHING to what so many people have to deal with everyday. I was just set back with the report and have all of a sudden have to start thinking about something new to me. The tech was unable to correct my left eye in that I now am seeing two and sometimes three images of the one letter. As the tech went on with trying and asking questions the tone changed and she said excuse me and left the room. Within a minute my Dr. came in and went through the collected data as we talked. (this is besides the point but she has been my doctor for into three decades now and she of course knows my wife and has watched my kids from birth to the last one going to college now). Anyway, asked my if I had hit my head or had a concussion recently. Well yes I had, my feet slipped out from underneath me walking on ice and I fell straight backward and landed the back of my head at the base of my skull and remember the craaaack. I was alone and I don't think I was out for more than 3 seconds. I was headed to my car after visiting mom in memory and hospice care but turned around and got back to her room and sat it out for awhile in the rocking chair. So it hurt and I was kind of figuring out what to do. I'm not trying to complain, just some background here.

So she asked me that and she wasn't surprised because it confirmed what she saw. Now I'm just a mechanical engineer so I can't describe what she knows but basically the "eye fluid elasticity system" was unable to absorb the impact and thus caused an impaction in the lens which is now causing light dispersion and the multiple imagines. The retina is fine thank God. So I have a cataract in the left eye and the beginning of one in my right eye. There came an "onslaught" of data and information which was kind of a blur so I was to adjust and wife and I will come in later for further consultation. One piece of the info was it is illegal for me to drive at night and I don't remember if it was because of one eye or both. Anyway, I qualify for insurance coverage for left but the right eye not yet. I don't want to be perceived as complaining, my problem is NOTHING compared to others.

Basically I have three options: 1) don't do a thing, 2) get a new lens for left eye, 3) when getting left eye done just do the right at the same time. Other people do not have this opportunity to have their eyesight corrected or restored so I am very lucky.

The tech started talking about the procedure and honestly it freaked me out to no end. I've had other other operations such as appendix and prostate cancer surgery and that body cutting thing is okay but when she talked about making incisions across the top of the eye to remove and replace the lens made me nauseous. She said too much at the time, it's not like we're replacing a cam here.

So in one way it is kind of exciting to think about waking up in elk camp and not having to deal with glasses or contacts in wall tent accommodations but I'm freaked out a bit. I'm very lucky to have the option.

I'm sorry for the long background but this gets to my question. I'm sure there are some of you who have had this experience. Is there anything you might share of your thoughts and experience in this surgery?

thank you guys,
-dale

Old 08-18-2023, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had cataract surgery on both my eyes about 10 years ago. They also put Toric (spelling?) lenses in my eyes. It was life changing! I went from 20/200 vision WITH glasses, to 20/20.
Yes it scary to think about letting your eye get cut into, but it was literally painless. They put Valium in my IV for the operation, so I didn’t really care what the doc was doing.
Go for it! You’ll be glad you did.
Oh! And do you have problems driving at night with oncoming traffics headlights? That will disappear too!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad is 75, and lives in South America now. He came back to the States to visit a few months ago. He had not driven for 2 years, since his last visit. I toss him the keys to my wife's car, and goes out for a bit.

He comes back, and his face is contorted - "what's wrong dad?"

He tells me that he couldn't see. He kept thinking his glasses were dirty, but after cleaning 6 or 7 times, he realized that his vision was WAY off. I took him to the VA, and they confirmed he had cataracts AND glaucoma.

VA could not get him in for surgery before he was supposed to return to SA. When dad got back to his home, he arranged to see a local eye doctor. A few weeks later they performed surgery on both of his eyes.

For the first time since he was 12, dad can now see perfectly without wearing glasses. He had paintings that were "fading", and he now realizes the paintings are fine, it was his eyesight that had faded. He is SUPER happy with the surgery he got!

Good luck!

'67 Firebird [sold], ; 11.27 @ 119.61, 7.167 @ 96.07, with UD 280/280 (108LSA/ 109 ICL)solid cam. [1.537, 7.233 @93.61, 11.46 @ 115.4 w/ old UD 288/296 108 hydraulic cam] Feb '05 HPP, home-ported "16" D-ports, dished pistons (pump gas only), 3.42 gears, 275/60 DR's, 750DP, T2, full exhaust

My webpage http://lnlpd.com/home
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2023, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of people I know have had cataract surgery. And the reports are what 67Drake said. I also have had Lasik in the past.(similar but not exactly the same) The cornea heals quickly.

As mentioned, the results are a life-changer, in a good way.

george

Old 08-18-2023, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes it is scary to think about but it is nothing to have it done. The lenses in both of my eyes were replaced three or four years ago and it took about ten minutes actual operating time for the doctor to do each one. Mine were done a month apart and I suspect they will do yours the same way. I was scared to death before he did the first (left) eye but after he did it had no fear at all about going in for the right eye. I'm 20/20 now.

Old 08-18-2023, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have cataracts, and in 2020 I had to drive out to Phoenix, from Ohio as my mom was sick. I literally had to find a motel before the sun set because my vision was so bad after the sun went down with oncoing headlights glare. I hadn't tried to drive at night time for awhile, so I was surprised how much the glare was affecting my night vision.

It turned out that my mother was terminally ill, and after she passed, I had to clean out the apartment in the assisted living community she stayed at. While I was doing the cleanout I came across some eye vitamins she had in her medications. Just for the heck of it I started taking them, and although it's not a cure for my cataracts, the difference was surprising after taking them for a week.

Since that time I've been taking the eye vitamins, and I'm able to drive without being blinded by oncoming cars, or at dusk, or dawn when the sun is low in the sky. I realize it hasn't been a cure, but it sure has made a big difference in my ability to adjust to glare. The vitamins that have presser vitamins is what helped my vision. My mother had macular degeneration, and she was taking the eye vitamins to slow the progression of that.

This reminds me that I do need to get into an eye doctor, since my last appointment was during Covid when they cancelled it. I'm also diabetic, so I really have pushed way past my time for checkups.

Both of my parents had cataract surgery, and I discussed it with them before their passing. Both told me it was a quick procedure that has good outcames as far as their vision improving. I'm also not thrilled at having it done, but it's inevitable that I have to do it at some point.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-18-2023, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The people I know who have had cataract surgery in recent years have had good experiences - like others said, it's a pretty simple procedure and you recover quickly. The technology has come a long way.

Old 08-18-2023, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad you found out what is wrong and your retinas are good.

I wouldn't over-worry about cataract surgery. Ask your doctor for the statistics. My guess is bad outcomes are very unusual.

For me, it was painless and healed quickly. I call it a weird experience to be aware of what was happening and not care... but I'd choose to repeat this procedure over any other surgery I've had.

Life-changing improvement applies to me too.

I had lenses implanted in 2008 and they still work well.

My bionic lenses correct a 7 diopter nearsighted mess with astigmatism (worse than 20/500). After the surgery, I woke up for the first time since 3rd grade being able to see without glasses. I could not stop smiling for days.

I was warned I might need a laser zap in a few years if a membrane clouded and I did. Again, nothing to worry about. This was 1 minute in a chair and done. Just don't do it with hearing aids in your ears, as the laser discharge EM pulse will couple and you'll think you got shot. Ask me how I know this...

The only down side is my bionic lenses are so rigid they cannot compensate for distance. I need reading glasses for anything less than about 3 feet away, but still see 20/30 or better beyond that. I had reading glasses before the surgery and that would have continued to get worse anyway so I am not upset. I had an option to choose "flexible" implants but they had other risks I chose to avoid. This technology has probably improved since 2008!

Good luck with your decisions.

Mike

Old 08-18-2023, 08:34 PM

Very routine anymore and as stated quick and painless. Both my eyes done going on a year ago. I'd worn glasses since 3rd or 4th grade (going on 72 yrs. old now). Now have 20/20 vision. Need reading glasses now which is a reversal from before. Floaters that I've had for a long time are my only vision problem along with some astigmatism that this surgery doesn't correct. Some astigmatism correction is dialed into my reading glasses which helps for night driving.
There are options for vision correction for extra $$$$.

Old 08-18-2023, 09:10 PM

Thank YOU everyone. You are providing peace of mind with this. I appreciate it, I don't know what else to say, thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to DaleO For This Useful Post: