Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 06-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Senior Chief

Default Carter AFB ID

I have a '64 Grand Prix that from what I can tell is very original. I'm working on the resto now, but I'm trying to ID the Carter AFB that was on the car.

The carb didn't come with the metal tag (I'm sure many of this age don't), but I'm not able to find any other markings that confirm this is the original carb to the car. I've read that the carb should have a stamping on one of the mounting ears with a code that will show the date of manufacturer and the model. I've looked at all of the ears of the carb and there are no stampings shown on the ears.

Does that mean that the carb is a replacement of some kind? Without that stamping on the mounting ear or the metal tag, is it possible to determine the originality and age of the carb? Is there a way to tell if it's a Pontiac Carter AFB and not one off of a Chevrolet, Buick, etc.?

The carb is in great shape, but I'm trying to keep the car as original as possible. If it has an AFB of another era or make of car, I'll probably start looking for a correct one.

Thank you!

Old 06-23-2019, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Jon "Mr. AFB" Hardgrove (user name Carbking)can surely help you, if he reads this post.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of the pontiac AFBs only had the tag and not stamped.Maybe Jon will jump on this and help.Tom

Old 06-23-2019, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here is a list of the kits Jon sells and it gives the correct carb number for the applications.Tom
http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Kpontiac2.htm

Old 06-23-2019, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Post a picture of the carb from a driver's side front angle and any number of people will be able to tell you if it is a Pontiac application AFB. No Pontiac AFB that I am aware of has #s stamped onto the passenger side front foot as did almost all other AFBs. If the tag is missing and it is a Pontiac AFB the original installation(s) for it can still be identified by the casting #s on the boosters. More than likely three or four applications apply however since in most cases several carbs shared the same boosters. If the boosters indicate a carb that was original to your car then more than likely you have the original carb that came on your car. Look down into the airhorn with a magnifying glass and see if you can read the #'s stamped on the boosters and if you can then post them as well as the picture of the carb. If Carbking is interested in doing it he will then be able to tell you what you have.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you call, have the following available:

(1) the carburetor
(2) a small straight-bladed screwdriver
(3) a wire brush
(4) a lead pencil with a GOOD eraser on the end
(5) a strong magnifying glass
(6) a strong light
(7) and MOST IMPORTANT, a PAIR OF "YOUNG EYES"

573-392-7378 (9-12, 1-4 Mon-Tues central time).

EDIT: John (61-63) has the right idea, but there is more to it than just the boosters. Posting the numbers/pictures won't do me any good, as the data is on my shop computers that are NOT connected to the internet. Do internet posting from home. If my computer is not connected, then it won't be hacked! Will try to help if you call.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.

Last edited by carbking; 06-23-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
When you call, have the following available:

(1) the carburetor
(2) a small straight-bladed screwdriver
(3) a wire brush
(4) a lead pencil with a GOOD eraser on the end
(5) a strong magnifying glass
(6) a strong light
(7) and MOST IMPORTANT, a PAIR OF "YOUNG EYES"

573-392-7378 (9-12, 1-4 Mon-Tues central time).

EDIT: John (61-63) has the right idea, but there is more to it than just the boosters. Posting the numbers/pictures won't do me any good, as the data is on my shop computers that are NOT connected to the internet. Do internet posting from home. If my computer is not connected, then it won't be hacked! Will try to help if you call.

Jon.
Thank you for the reply and the help, Jon! Thank you to the others who replied as well. I work long hours during the week away from home, and I'm not available to call Mondays or Tuesdays. If you are available with your computer on a Friday or I will call you when I have off of work on a Monday/Tuesday. Thanks again.

Chris

Old 06-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I was wondering if Jon can make you a new tag or label for your carb, once it is identified???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-24-2019, 10:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I was wondering if Jon can make you a new tag or label for your carb, once it is identified???

I don't know if Jon can, but that's a good idea. I've seen a store on Ebay that makes replicas. you tell them what the codes are you want on the tag and they make a replacement.