Old 09-16-2018, 04:58 PM
Senior Chief

Default '64 GP Fender Search

I'm getting ready to start the bodywork on my '64 GP. The passenger side fender suffered some fender bender damage probably long before I bought the car. I might be able to save it, but I think buying another in decent shape might be a better idea. I've been on the auction sites, craigslist, called various junkyards throughout the western US and spoke to Steve with Pontiac Heaven. I've also posted an ad on this forum in the Wanted section.

There seem to be several yards that have Bonneville or Catalina fenders, but finding a '64 GP is like finding hen's teeth. I'd rather not buy a Catalina or Bonneville fender and then have to fill the trim holes and make new ones to make it match a GP, along with make whatever repairs the fender may need. Is there a junkyard that has full size Pontiacs that maybe isn't well known or another source that maybe I'm missing that could help me find a fender?

Thank you!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You might try Facebook there are a bunch on Pontiac folks on there. Or put an ad in Smoke Signals.

A competent body man can fill the wrong holes and drill new ones and you will never see it when he is done.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:29 AM
Suspended

Finding GP specific is going to be like finding a unicorn. I had a rough pair I guy in Michigan bought 2 years ago and those were the only ones I have seen in years. Filling in nameplate and/or trim holes is a hell of a lot easier than fixing rot. You back up the hole to be filled with brass or copper spoon and MIG in the hole. Grind and done. There is a lot of shady people and deals on Facebook.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:15 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the replies! I'm not on Facebook so I can't post anything and I don't belong to the Pontiac club to receive Smoke Signals. I need to join the club anyways and using the magazine is a good suggestion.

I may also just buck up and buy a Catalina fender and fix the holes. I didn't realize a GP fender would be this difficult to find, but hearing it from someone else too on this forum confirms it.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:45 PM
Senior Chief

Dis you try French Lake Auto Parts?

Old 09-17-2018, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

French Lake is in Minnesota: http://www.frenchlakeautoparts.com I assume you've checked with DVAP since they're in your area? https://www.dvap.com Their website indicates they have several Bonnevilles and Catalinas in their yard, but maybe the fenders are already gone off those cars.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default GP fender

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Pontia...lbjTwK&vxp=mtr Fender

Old 09-18-2018, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8LUG View Post
Unfortunately, only local pickup on that auction.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8LUG View Post
Interesting (to me) is he has his phone number listed in the ad. Over here, if I tried that, eBay would can my ad immediately, I'd cop a warning from them and if I repeated the "offence", I'd be banned.

Ian

Old 09-19-2018, 09:58 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
Interesting (to me) is he has his phone number listed in the ad. Over here, if I tried that, eBay would can my ad immediately, I'd cop a warning from them and if I repeated the "offence", I'd be banned.

Ian
He got lucky. The rule regarding listing a phone number is the same here.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:08 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks everyone for the replies! I did see that Ebay auction. I've been checking Ebay daily for an auction. I was excited at first to see it, but it looks like the lower front of the fender is bent in, as well as it is local pick up only. Being in AZ I can't do that.

I looked at the salvage yard in MN, but they did have a GP listed. I checked DVAP since they're local to me. They do appear to have some Catalinas which would be close to what I'm looking for. I need to call them and confirm they have a clean Catalina fender. That is probably my best option now.