Old 12-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Senior Chief

Default Routing of Front Disc Brake Lines

I'm starting the install of my front disc brake conversion on my '64 GP and looking for some advice. The kit comes with a new booster, master cylinder and all in one proportioning valve, etc. I will be installing the proportioning valve directly under the master cylinder.

The proportioning valve has outlets for brake line to be run to each front wheel separately. The instructions say that I can run a brake line to each front wheel from the proportioning valve or plug one of the outlets, run one brake line from the valve to a distribution block (like my car came with originally) and then run brake line from the block to each wheel. The instructions say there is no braking performance difference between running separate lines or running one line to a distribution block.

What do you think I should do? Has anyone installed front disc brakes on a car before and done it one way or the other? I see both ways as having advantages and disadvantages. Using one line from the proportioning valve to a distribution block would be one less brake line to run from the valve (I don't know how much room I'll have since the engine, etc. isn't in place yet) which could interfere with something. For appearance purposes, it would look more stock as I would have the one brake line coming from the area of the master cylinder to a distribution block. Running two lines from the proportioning valve would be simpler (no need to tie everything into a distribution block) and maybe more safe as there will be two lines going from the proportioning valve to the front wheels (one line for each wheel).

Thank you!

Old 12-18-2017, 12:53 AM
Senior Chief

I take it this is a Master Power Brakes kit? I have one myself on my '64 Bonneville.

I ran a line direct from the proportioning valve to each wheel. I felt adding another distribution block into the mix was complexity the system didn't need, and I had heaps of space around my booster, engine, steering column, exhaust (long branch RARE manifolds). I found it easy to bleed my system, and I was able to make the lines nice and neatly. I actually ended up with 3 lines running from my proportioning valve as I had x2 front lines, plus the line to the rear brakes.

I'll take some pics of my set-up next time I'm with the car.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:23 AM
Senior Chief

Marv,

You are correct...I have the Master Power kit. Thank you for your reply! If you wouldn’t mind taking some photos of under the hood and anywhere you routed the brake lines from the proportioning valve, that would be a great help!

Old 12-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Senior Chief

No problem, will do.

FWIW I actually ran the line to the passenger caliper behind the main engine crossmember to minimise plumbing.

I'll get you some pics tomorrow.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:56 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you, Marv! I have a friend who has done some brake line install work on his hot rod help me, but otherwise I’m going into this brake line project as a complete novice. I was going to look at photos on the internet to get ideas, but if you can provide photos of what you did, that will help me a lot!

Old 12-18-2017, 05:35 PM

subscribed. i myself am curious.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done this and it's a lot easier to run single line to your existing distribution block. Then plug the hole where the rear brakes attach to the distribution block. Install a coupling to that line and run it to the master and your done.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:30 AM
Senior Chief

Apologies for the crap photos but it is harder than I envisaged to get good pics! I'll have another go tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171219_121408_preview.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	470407   Click image for larger version

Name:	brakes1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	470408  

Old 12-19-2017, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ64GP View Post
and maybe more safe as there will be two lines going from the proportioning valve to the front wheels (one line for each wheel).
There is no "safety" advantage in having two lines vs. one line coming out of the proportioning valve. If one line fails, the whole front system will fail. So don't use safety as a determining factor in your decision of one vs. two lines.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you, Marv! Please take and share more pics! One question...did you make that plate that the all-in-one proportioning valve attaches to below the master cylinder or was that in the Master Power kit? How does it attach to the master cylinder or the car? I didn't notice that in my kit, but it's possible I just haven't opened the package that has the plate.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:39 PM
Senior Chief

G'day mate, the plate came with my kit. Initially i had been provided the wrong plate and hars lines but the guys fixed that quick smart.

The way it attaches is the combination valve bolts to the plate. You can slide the valve forward or back depending on where you want it sitting. The bracket then attaches to the underside of the master cylinder with supplied bolts.

You basically dummy fit it all to work out where you want it to sit. Then you pull the master and combination valve, bleed it on the bench, amd reinstall it.

I will be back up with the car today so will take more pics. It isnt fun in the shed the last 2 days have been 115-125degF in there! Haha

Old 12-19-2017, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I feel for ya, the high hear Monday and Tuesday is supposed to be -2° F.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:35 PM

Disc brake cars also had 3/16 lines to front brakes instead of 1/4.I ended up running new separate 3/16 lines to the front brakes.Was easy enough and I believe this is the best way to go..

Old 12-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Senior Chief

Since I'm doing a complete redo of the car, all of the original brake line and components have been removed. I'm keeping the rear drum brakes and have replaced the 1/4" brake line going across the rear axle, but all of the other brake line will be 3/16". I like the firmer pedal that comes with the smaller diameter brake line and it's needed for the front disc brakes anyway.