Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking 455 score

I started a new thread because the news is so good I had to make sure you guys read it. I still have the 455 that has the mismatched mains but.......drumroll please........the other complete 455 I went to look at wasn't stuck after all. The guy just didn't know the old PB blaster and transmission fluid trick so now I have a 73 with its main caps that's not stuck for 150 bucks. I feel like having a beer and I rarely drink. Finally a solid foundation to build on and with very little money. So here's to us and those like us. I even got 73 4X heads that have been ported but I think the combustion chamber is still too big. They are numbers matching to the block. I traded the crank and pistons and rods for some other parts I needed because I plan to buy a scat kit anyway. So in short happy day to me. I will just save the other block for emergency. Thanks for those that listened and supported a private messaged me but in the words of Gerald Ford my long national nightmare is over.

Last edited by 64speed; 07-12-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good deal! Get that sucker to you the machine shop and get it magnafluxed.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-12-2017, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have been a busy boy, buying main cap sets, trading parts...and posting more new threads, good luck!

Old 07-12-2017, 11:19 PM
Boost Engineer

Glad the other engine will work for you.

My biggest fear was not your ability to buy the main caps but the machine shop having the capability to install 5 main caps correctly without wasting more of your money.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I'm gonna keep that motor and its main caps around in case of emergency but I am going to have this block vatted magnafluxed and just generally cleaned up but that's all I've got the money for right now. I will keep you posted as the build progresses. Gonna buy the scat kit at tax time and Edelbrock rpm cnc ported heads asap. Machinist says the valvesprings on the edelbrock suck so unless I am running the summit cam then upgrade them so I guess I will order a comp cams kit. Who makes the stump puller I always see people talking about? Engine has to be docile enough to run power brakes and ac, but I want to push it to the edges of streets le power with non sti

Old 07-12-2017, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=64speed;5761351]I started a new thread because the news is so good I had to make sure you guys read it. I still have the 455 that has the mismatched mains but.......drumroll please........the other complete 455 I went to look at wasn't stuck after all. The guy just didn't know the old PB blaster and transmission fluid trick so now I have a 73 with its main caps that's not stuck for 150 bucks. I feel like having a beer and I rarely drink. Finally a solid foundation to build on and with very little money. So here's to us and those like us. I even got 73 4X heads that have been ported but I think the combustion chamber is still too big. They are numbers matching to the block. I traded the crank and pistons and rods for some other parts I needed because I plan to buy a scat kit anyway. So in short happy day to me. I will just save the other block for emergency. Thanks for those that listened and supported a private messaged me but in the words of Gerald Ford my long national nightmare is over.
P.s. Are these 4X heads worth anything they have screw in studs.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:56 AM

Sounds like a good deal!

Old 07-13-2017, 01:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad you found a good engine to build! That's better than trying to get main caps fitted.

4X heads are very likely to crack. Every set I have seen has been cracked. If they are not cracked, I would have hard seats installed in he exhaust if you plan on running them. That will cut out the induction hardening, and make them less likely to crack in the future. But check the chamber CC's first, as they are likely very big, and will be low compression.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 07-13-2017, 05:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtofreek View Post
Glad you found a good engine to build! That's better than trying to get main caps fitted.

4X heads are very likely to crack. Every set I have seen has been cracked. If they are not cracked, I would have hard seats installed in he exhaust if you plan on running them. That will cut out the induction hardening, and make them less likely to crack in the future. But check the chamber CC's first, as they are likely very big, and will be low compression.
I am fairly certain that these are low compression ones. Their only redeeming factor being screw in studs. Oh yeah guys by the way. I am not illiterate I am a night owl and I am typing these messages on my phone in the middle of the night with my brightness turned way down. I have gone back and read some of my threads and even I couldn't understand what I was asking. LOL

Old 07-13-2017, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't worry. The English comp "not sees" don't hang out in here. We ALL make mistakes. Mine are from too big fingers attempting to use small keys.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-13-2017, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good plan

Old 07-13-2017, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I am fairly certain that these are low compression ones.
They might not be low compression. What's the secondary stamped code on them?

On 1973 and 1974 4X heads, the stamped codes 3 or 3H, 4 or 4H, and 7 or 7H are around 98 cc, which is a good size for a 455.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stump Puller link http://www.sdperformance.com/viewPro...productID=1815

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 07-14-2017, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats, man! Sounds like you have a great base upon which to build your dream engine. Best of luck to you with your build!

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 07-16-2017, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a competent machine shop in Greenwood SC about an hours drive from me that has a machinist with an excellent reputation. I called him about my 455's and played dumb on every detail I wasn't dumb about and he didn't try to sell me a line......he told me he could probably make my block with the missing main caps work but he would rather do the block that has its originals. That kinda tells me he's not out to gouge you. I am going to have him do all the machine work but I am gonna do the actual assembly because I want to try my hand at a Pontiac. I have built countless chevrolets including a 409 so with some tech help from you guys I'm pretty sure I can do it. I have been looking at the Scat kits where everything is forged and I have looked at the eagle set where everything is forged but the crank. I am using ARP studs on the mains and the engine will be 30 or 40 over depending what it cleans up at. There is no rust or ridge in any cylinder so I am gonna say hopefully 30. I am looking at the 488 stroker kits and I just wonder if I have my rev limiter set to 5500 do I have to have the forged crank? It's about a 600 dollar difference. I know 600 isn't that much when you're into it like I am but 600 dollars means the difference between me doing things at certain times cause I can only spend so much each month which fluctuates between doctors visit and general household expenses. I am on a fixed income drawing a VA check and I promised my wife I wouldn't use any of her income to do this.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I started a new thread because the news is so good I had to make sure you guys read it. I still have the 455 that has the mismatched mains but.......drumroll please........the other complete 455 I went to look at wasn't stuck after all. The guy just didn't know the old PB blaster and transmission fluid trick so now I have a 73 with its main caps that's not stuck for 150 bucks.
Congrats. You were able to get it "unstuck" with PB blaster and trans fluid the same day you brought it home? Sounds like he seller didn't try anything. Please describe how you did I?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 07-16-2017, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Congrats. You were able to get it "unstuck" with PB blaster and trans fluid the same day you brought it home? Sounds like he seller didn't try anything. Please describe how you did I?
It wasn't really stuck other than a spun rod bearing and some light rust in the cylinders. I keep old transmission fluid whenever I can and I use the old dimple style oil can to apply it. Filled the cylinders that were down with trans fluid with pb blaster and let it sit. After about two hours I dump it so I don't make a mess then I set my snap on impact to its lowest torque setting and just blip it back and forth till the crank spins

Old 07-16-2017, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I am looking at the 488 stroker kits and I just wonder if I have my rev limiter set to 5500 do I have to have the forged crank? It's about a 600 dollar difference.
Is the 4.5" stroke crank available in cast iron? All I've seen is forged.

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg