Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris are those rims clear coated or bare aluminum? If they are bare it would be easy to weld up that name, grind it down and polish it out... Of course, you guys couldn't do it for liability/warranty reasons, but any decent metal guy should be able to handle that reasonably if it was that big a deal to someone...

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently installed the Cragar Eliminator 500 on my 67 and think they look great on square body Goats. A word to anyone looking at the wheel, the 15X8 doesn't fit, the offset is wrong. Go with the 15X7 all around. I'll keep my thoughts on the Hurst center to myself I guess.

400 + .020, decked to .005
SD Performance 240+CFM 670 heads
RARE HO/RA manifolds
RARE 2.5" Exhaust (18" Magnaflows)
SD "Stump Puller" HR cam (230/236, 112LSA, 107.5 ICL)
PRW stainless 1.52 roller rockers
Forged TRW slugs
SCAT H-Beam forged rods
Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As an outside observer, it's always good protocol to give a vendor every opportunity to rectify a problem before any other action is taken, particularly public posting. It's common courtesy. Negative comments, once posted, can be damaging. "Less said, less mended." I always give anyone an opportunity to hash things out and clarify an issue, and I hope that others would treat me in the same manner. We're all in this hobby together.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
As an outside observer, it's always good protocol to give a vendor every opportunity to rectify a problem before any other action is taken, particularly public posting. It's common courtesy. Negative comments, once posted, can be damaging. "Less said, less mended." I always give anyone an opportunity to hash things out and clarify an issue, and I hope that others would treat me in the same manner. We're all in this hobby together.
In general I agree with you. In this case anyone reading through this thread will see the level of committment and involvment from Chris and should be impressed! :)

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
In general I agree with you. In this case anyone reading through this thread will see the level of commitment and involvement from Chris and should be impressed! :)
....and we also know that a simple phone call would have avoided the whole thing.

I apologize for slamming the OP but we have all been at that point in a car or project where expectations & reality either meet or collide. I honestly have no patience for someone who's first instinct is to **** all over a vendor or product when that vendor is more than willing to bend over backwards for their customer.

The solution here was just a phone call away.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Senior Chief

Well after looking at the sales ad on pg. 154, I have to agree with the OP's expectations,..the ad states: "the aftermarket Hurst wheels below are an excellent Hi-tech replacement for original Hurst wheels",..then you see a pic of the wheel turned in such a way when photographed that you can't see the "crager" name,..no where in the ad does it say that the wheel is a "crager"!,..(if "crager" had been embossed on the wheel on the backside,who would care)..it is a nice looking repo though and this problem,I"m sure,would/could have been dealt with by other means as already stated.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
....and we also know that a simple phone call would have avoided the whole thing.

I apologize for slamming the OP but we have all been at that point in a car or project where expectations & reality either meet or collide. I honestly have no patience for someone who's first instinct is to **** all over a vendor or product when that vendor is more than willing to bend over backwards for their customer.

The solution here was just a phone call away.
Quote from original post --
"I called the tech department before ordering & specificly asked if there will be any surprise's with these rims & I was assured no surprise's, it is as described."

I would be pissed too ! Should be stated in bold letters in the ad "Crager"

Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
Jeff, I listened in detail to your conversation with our staff member and he was extremely detailed (almost to a fault) with trying to explain the difference between the $2100 Hurst wheels and our $850 wheels. I think the phone conversation was close to 20 minutes. He spent a lot of time reviewing wheel and tire sizes. He spent time explaining the differences between finishes. At no point in the conversation was there any even hint of deception and at no point in the conversation did you say anything about 'are there any surprises' to look out for. He was very clear to tell you that the wheels were 'aftermarket' and the advantages and disadvantages.
So... you guys think PY offers two sets of Hurst wheels, one set for 2100.00 that all of the other vendors sell for the same price, another set for 850.00 that only they are offring as a LOW COST alternative, and they both should be 100% correct? Really?

IMO, The reprpoduction Hurst wheels are garbage. In 2007 at the GTOAA Convention in Columbus, John Sawruk went so far as to instruct us to fail the cars equipped with them in tech. The casting is inconsistant, centers have broken out, the lug holes are inconsistant,etc. These wheels are reproduced by a company in Chicago, all the vendors sell the same rims. PY is the only vendor who cared enough to come up with a decent lug nut to try and hold these rims on a car propperly. The other vendors sell these with standard acorn style lugnuts. We machine the lug holes on the reproduction rims and cut down long, thick, aftermarket, truck style lug nuts with a propper shank to fit the new holes we machine into the rims... Now Chris has come up with a way to market a SAFE and ECONOMICAL alternative to these high cost low quality reproductions...

Thanks Chris, I get it.

www.fastrestorations.com

Last edited by PaulatFast; 03-24-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't mind Cragar as much as I would Crager.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Senior Chief

Crager,Cragar,who cares!!?,..maybe they should have "Hearse" on them if they're that bad a wheel..Looks like Summit sells the same wheel for $136.08 each.

Last edited by Bluesugar; 03-24-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesugar View Post
Crager,Cragar,who cares!!?,..maybe they should have "Hearse" on them if they're that bad a wheel..Looks like Summit sells the same wheel for $136.08 each.
I hate being the internet police...

I NEVER SAID THE WHEELS IN QUESTION HERE ARE BAD. Just the opposite in fact. The wheels by Cragar that PY is selling are high quality pieces. It is the 2100.00 rims that suck.
And the wheels from summit don't come with the Hurst caps and adapters...

www.fastrestorations.com

Last edited by PaulatFast; 03-24-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But Ossifer, I wasn't reading, I swear!

Old 03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've looked at the wheels in question and read the part info. Nowhere does it mention Cragar in the info, nor does Cragar show in the photo of the wheel. What the ad does say is.. "The aftermarket Hurst wheels below are an excellent Hi-tech replacement for original Hurst wheels."Aftermarket Hurst wheels is kind of misleading in itself. Tell the whole story. Show it all and tell it all to make things clearer on what you're selling in a catalog.

And from what I read, price and caps had nothing to do with the problem.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I've looked at the wheels in question and read the part info. Nowhere does it mention Cragar in the info, nor does Cragar show in the photo of the wheel. What the ad does say is.. "The aftermarket Hurst wheels below are an excellent Hi-tech replacement for original Hurst wheels."Aftermarket Hurst wheels is kind of misleading in itself. Tell the whole story. Show it all and tell it all to make things clearer on what you're selling in a catalog.

And from what I read, price and caps had nothing to do with the problem.
You didn't read my post. I explained exactly why we did NOT mention the name 'Cragar' in the description.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The only thing I see is the Crager is casted on the outside of the wheel. Most wheels the casting is on the inside and on the outside of the wheel you have a centercap with a company logo or name.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hslager69 View Post
Quote from original post --
"I called the tech department before ordering & specificly asked if there will be any surprise's with these rims & I was assured no surprise's, it is as described."

I would be pissed too ! Should be stated in bold letters in the ad "Crager"
You didn't read my post either. He never did say those things. He thought he asked these questions but he didn't.

So then do you also think that every generic and private label product on the market should divulge the mfg source of their product? Wouldn't that defeat the intent? ie: Kirkland (Costco's brand) should clearly state who makes their product for them? Sears should say who makes their Die Hard batteries?

Old 03-24-2013, 02:33 PM

Wow long one --Kris was trying to do a good turn the cragars do look like hurst but of course much more afforible and with a hurst center cap cool look no good deed goes unpunished-
anyway seems that the best thing to do is just return em-start over-thats the great thing about buying from an upstanding vendor

Old 03-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra96 View Post
Wow long one --Kris was trying to do a good turn the cragars do look like hurst but of course much more afforible and with a hurst center cap cool look no good deed goes unpunished-
anyway seems that the best thing to do is just return em-start over-thats the great thing about buying from an upstanding vendor
It's totally OK that these posts are being made. That's what this forum area is for.

I find it very interesting to see the different perspectives readers have on our marketing efforts. Many times we adjust after reading the comments. Its all good. :)

Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This thing as taken on a life of it's own. I have been following it a bit and have read all the posts and commented once on them. The ONLY thing that I would have changed was the photo in the cataloge. I would have either shown the wheel manufacturers name that's cast into the wheel in the photo, or I would have said "manufacturers name cast into the rim" or something to that effect. The text is clear otherwise and PY has gone above and beyond the call of duty to try to accomodate the customer. The wheel do look good!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i try not to stick my nose in other peoples dealings and am not going to here, i will say that it really says something about a vendors honesty, that will subject themselves to everyone to see when someone is not happy whether they are right or wrong.

anyway,

now the only reason i am posting is to ask if anyone has a good picture of a car with these cragar wheels on it?