Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default mech or vac sec w/my combo?

help me figure this out. this isn't for the firebird, but i value your collective opinions/experience with this stuff, so here's the question: on my camaro, 383sbc, 3400lbs, 3200 stall continental (thanks, cliff for the hook-up!), 3.25 rear gear, vacuum secondaries or mechanical? i know the typical heavy car, auto trans and highway gears are supposed to like vacuum secondaries, but with the high stall converter, would that mean the mechanical secondaries would work better? i currently have a 670 street avenger with the strongest spring in there and can't help wonder if it's hurting me off the line. without the stiffest spring there is a noticeable lean stumble from the secondaries opening quickly with no extra squirt back there. when the fuel finally gets there, it makes my tires spin a little after the first few feet of the launch. so with a mech sec carb that can squirt, i should get a good initial launch and quicker 60ft, right?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool I'd say...

stick with the vs. Maybe bigger squirter and/or weaker springs...but you still don't have enough convertor or gear to warrant the dp carb. JMHO. Maybe some carb guys will weigh in. Good luck. Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.