THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure appears to be as cast, with numerous areas of grinding.
Not RARE's traditional level of appearance
Thanks for noting the weights.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
Are those ceramic coated?
No bare

Old 06-04-2023, 04:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The quality of those RARE manifolds look nothing like the D ports I got just before COVID. I was impressed when I received mine. Gotta be disappointing after a long wait.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 06-04-2023, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70geeteeohh View Post
RARE 490802-RH weighs 20lbs
RARE 490803-LH weighs 18lbs

Per my scale.

Here are some pics of the areas I feel aren't very nicely casted. Correct me if I'm wrong since I am no expert. To me they don't look nice. Luckily when they get bolted on nobody will see it.
I think I would talk to them and ask for another set those are not great.

Old 06-04-2023, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope that is not the new normal after their foundry supplier issues.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:49 PM

I have contacted RARE about my exhaust manifolds after hearing what some members with previous experience had to say about the quality of the parts I recieved. I honestly knew they didnt look very nice but was trying to convince myself they were fine and suck it up.

Paul was not happy that I posted pictures of his product on PY and asked others advice about the areas of concern. He sees NO issues with the exhaust manifolds and won't even acknowledge the poor quality of the finish.

PAUL said "send them back (my cost) for a full refund or run them". Not the response I was hoping for at all. A full refund is nice if there was another company that sells Oversized round port exhaust manifolds.

I was hoping he would stand good for them and exchange them for another set but Paul is making it seem like I am the issue and the product he shipped isn't.

I have asked him to send me a different set that has been checked over before shipping and a return postage label for the manifolds I have received. I am waiting on his reply.

I highly doubt this is going to end well but I am hoping he comes through. I would love to own a good set of these manifolds.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have contacted RARE about my exhaust manifolds after hearing what some members with previous experience had to say about the quality of the parts I recieved. I honestly knew they didnt look very nice but was trying to convince myself they were fine and suck it up.

Paul was not happy that I posted pictures of his product on PY and asked others advice about the areas of concern. He sees NO issues with the exhaust manifolds and won't even acknowledge the poor quality of the finish.

PAUL said "send them back (my cost) for a full refund or run them". Not the response I was hoping for at all. A full refund is nice if there was another company that sells Oversized round port exhaust manifolds.

I was hoping he would stand good for them and exchange them for another set but Paul is making it seem like I am the issue and the product he shipped isn't.

I have asked him to send me a different set that has been checked over before shipping and a return postage label for the manifolds I have received. I am waiting on his reply.

I highly doubt this is going to end well but I am hoping he comes through. I would love to own a good set of these manifolds.
Sounds like a nice guy,,,,, sarcasm.

Old 06-05-2023, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those in post 104 look good.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I suppose when you are the only guy in town you can have that attitude. I am a small business owner and do whatever I can to keep my customers happy. Giving them great service and a great finished product is one way to do so. If he was offended by you showing them on a forum he must have some misgivings about them to begin with!

I dont know motors but the ones pictured did look rough to me, considering the cost and the wait time. I think if it were me I would take them to a local machinist and see if they can be further 'polished/cleaned up' a bit before installation. If those are the manifolds you want or need what is the other choice?

I THOUGHT I was on a call list last year this time, still havent heard anything, was lucky enough to get my hands on a set of stock manifolds, so at least I have something I can use. I have the D ports on my 77 and am curious to see how everything compares to the current motor with stock.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a pair of round-port Ram Air manifolds that I purchased from RARE in 2012 that are still new-in-the-box. There are areas where flashing and/or parting lines from the casting process must be removed and I believe those grinding marks is what we're seeing in 70geeteeohh's pictures above.

I feel the quality of my 2012 pair is excellent. Based on what I see here, I'm not so sure I'd say the quality of RARE's newest reproductions is much different than before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5045.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	613809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5047.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	613810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5049.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	613811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5051.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	613812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5053.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	613813  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocky Rotella For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

70geeteeohh,

I've attached one of your original images and a picture of that same area on my 2012 unit. My manifold has much more parting line visible, which simply means someone spent less time on the grinder trying to make it more visually appealing than they did with yours.

If anything, I might say my 2012 unit looks worse than your newer reproduction. In either instance (yours or mine), it's simply cosmetic and won't affect performance or functionality. Once yours are ceramic coated the area will be far less unsightly, and once the exhaust manifolds are installed (yours or mine), no one will see it.

I'm sure the wait was very frustrating, but I say dress them up, run them, and don't give any perceived blemishes a second thought!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230601_165044.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	613814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5054.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	613815  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rocky Rotella For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
I have a pair of round-port Ram Air manifolds that I purchased from RARE in 2012 that are still new-in-the-box. There are areas where flashing and/or parting lines from the casting process must be removed and I believe those grinding marks is what we're seeing in 70geeteeohh's pictures above.

I feel the quality of my 2012 pair is excellent. Based on what I see here, I'm not so sure I'd say the quality of RARE's newest reproductions is much different than before.

I really wish Paul would have been more professional and snapped a few pictures of his other manifolds and took the time to explain to me that this is how his product is shipped due to the casting process that is used.

Looking at your pictures compared to mine it's easy to tell these manifolds are going to win ANY beauty pageant and what I received is normal for his products.

I guess I expected to much from this purchase and the price.

Last edited by 70geeteeohh; 06-06-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
70geeteeohh,

I've attached one of your original images and a picture of that same area on my 2012 unit. My manifold has much more parting line visible, which simply means someone spent less time on the grinder trying to make it more visually appealing than they did with yours.

If anything, I might say my 2012 unit looks worse than your newer reproduction. In either instance (yours or mine), it's simply cosmetic and won't affect performance or functionality. Once yours are ceramic coated the area will be far less unsightly, and once the exhaust manifolds are installed (yours or mine), no one will see it.

I'm sure the wait was very frustrating, but I say dress them up, run them, and don't give any perceived blemishes a second thought!
I will not be ceramic coating my manifolds. My wait wasn't really an issue....I think 6 weeks isn't super long and I was excited to get the manifolds.

Paul still hasn't returned my email requesting a nicer set exchange. I doubt I will see anything back from him. So I will just take this experience with a grain of salt and use them. I will however never give purchase another thing from RARE.

At one time every business owner starts small, they are so grateful to be successful and care about the customer and thier concerns. It's a shame the care becomes smaller and smaller as the companies grow.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I guess I expected to much from this purchase and the price.
Well, odds are if you don't want them, others will buy those.

I am glad Rocky posted pictures to compare his manifolds - if anything it appears as though yours DID receive a little more finishing than his.

I know that in the past the RARE manifolds were heads and shoulders above the rest - and were i in the market, that's where i would go.

I would also guess that the ceramic coating does something to cover up the extra finishing on the outside.

I will always try to be the first to give a small business owner a break... they tend to have a lot on their shoulders - and dealing with complains can really bring a downer on your day.

Also, if you opted to forego ceramic coating, I'd strongly encourage you to at least use a high heat/manifold paint - you can get them in a "cast iron" colour these days, and even that should ensure they look good for a while to come.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 06-06-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
Well, odds are if you don't want them, others will buy those.

I am glad Rocky posted pictures to compare his manifolds - if anything it appears as though yours DID receive a little more finishing than his.

I know that in the past the RARE manifolds were heads and shoulders above the rest - and were i in the market, that's where i would go.

I would also guess that the ceramic coating does something to cover up the extra finishing on the outside.

I will always try to be the first to give a small business owner a break... they tend to have a lot on their shoulders - and dealing with complains can really bring a downer on your day.

Also, if you opted to forego ceramic coating, I'd strongly encourage you to at least use a high heat/manifold paint - you can get them in a "cast iron" colour these days, and even that should ensure they look good for a while to come.
I definitely did try to put my best foot forward and be understanding knowing his backlog on parts and everyones foundry issues in the casting world. . After Paul's first message to me that came off completely rude (to me), I started my second message with " Hey Paul, I understand you are probably overworked and understaffed. I am sure you have alot of stress upon yourself but please in no way take it out on me"

He replied with "subjective presumptions about me or staffing or being overworked don't mitigate any of this(where do you come up with this??) "

I just don't find the man to be easy to deal with or maybe him and I are oil and water. I honestly don't have an answer.

I will coat the exhaust manifolds with high heat paint as you recommend, bolt them on and move on from this experience with him.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I definitely did try to put my best foot forward and be understanding knowing his backlog on parts and everyones foundry issues in the casting world. . After Paul's first message to me that came off completely rude (to me), I started my second message with " Hey Paul, I understand you are probably overworked and understaffed. I am sure you have alot of stress upon yourself but please in no way take it out on me"

He replied with "subjective presumptions about me or staffing or being overworked don't mitigate any of this(where do you come up with this??) "

I just don't find the man to be easy to deal with or maybe him and I are oil and water. I honestly don't have an answer.

I will coat the exhaust manifolds with high heat paint as you recommend, bolt them on and move on from this experience with him.
I’m just curious how deep is the spot in your picture number 3?

Old 06-06-2023, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
I’m just curious how deep is the spot in your picture number 3?

I honestly can not tell you how much material was removed. The exhaust manifolds obviously have the big "divot" in that spot before grinding.

Paul said he grinds this area to ensure the manifolds will work with a block with aftermarket raised deck height. I was more concerned with casting appearance than yhe grind marks to be honest. But I'm past all of it. Going to continue forward and move on.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whats going on with the oversized D ports?

Old 06-07-2023, 07:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
Whats going on with the oversized D ports?
I ordered OS D ports last august and the 3" down pipes. Talked to him 2.5 weeks ago and he said at that time it would be about 3 weeks.

Old 06-07-2023, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
I ordered OS D ports last august and the 3" down pipes. Talked to him 2.5 weeks ago and he said at that time it would be about 3 weeks.
I ordered in Sept last year and got 2.5 " down pipes.