THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default READ THIS IF YOU'RE HAVING WEIRD FACEBOOK PROBLEMS

note added by Stuart: If you're having weird problems with getting redirects to Facebook when using the forum, try changing your view: scroll down to the bottom of the screen, and in the lower left there is a little window where you can select different methods of viewing the board. The problem appears to be related to using the "responsive 2017" format. Change it to one of the other options and try again.

Anyone else getting dozens of friend requests everyday recently?
I have a Facebook account but I'm not really active. I've been getting friend requests for years from people I don't know but I usually accept them when I see some type of car, especially Pontiacs on their page. It's just in my nature not to be rude but lately I'm wondering WTF? Could Facebook be faking requests just to stir up some kind of activity?
I just don't understand why so many people would want to befriend me when I'm really not doing anything of any interest to them or anyone else for that matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PY format.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	587852  

Last edited by Stuart; 04-03-2022 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I only have folks I know as friends. Once you start accepting friend requests from folks you don’t know you open the floodgates. I suggest you purge friends you don’t know and set your privacy settings such that only friends see what you post etc.

Don

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhutton For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2022, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As soon as I figure out how to do it I will...lol
It's going to take me a while. I just looked and I have nearly 500 friends. I probably know less than 100 of them.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:51 PM
Senior Chief

Be careful, I would not accept unknown " friends". Never know what their motivation might be.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For 10 years, I could always find a reason (distant family/friends, church, hobbies) to justify "being on Facebook", meanwhile in the back of my mind was the true concept: "if the service is free, you're not the customer, you're the product". One day it just shifted to forefront, and being a piece of Mark Zuckerberg's inventory was no longer something I was willing to tolerate.

Getting on the book and remaining for 10 years are among my biggest regrets.

YMMV...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to einstein For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2022, 08:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I believe it is an “automatic” feature. I recently relented and opened an account specifically for access to market place.
Within days received 4 friend requests. i asked each of them personally if they tried to request a connection and all 4 said no.
More social media bull ****….

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
The Following User Says Thank You to lfdsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2022, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think facebook started sending "friend suggestion" it's not a friend request. Facebook thinks you have something in common with someone rather than someone specifically sending you a friend request. I've been seeing the same thing the last month or so.

Old 03-27-2022, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I set my account so that only friends of friends can send me requests. Seems to limit the random requests pretty well. You can do this under privacy settings.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 03-27-2022, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No, I get many friend suggestions but these are actual requests.
Ken, I think that's where I screwed up. I believe at least one of the people I accepted probably has like 1 million friends and now all of a sudden a lot of the request I'm getting are from people who have only one friend in common and when I check many times it's the same guy.
At this point I'm just ignoring them. I've gotten at least 20 more since I started this thread yesterday.
I'm beginning to think that it is a Facebook's automatic feature. I don't really believe all of those people are requesting my friendship.
Another thing that I've noticed over the years is that I sometimes get friend requests from people that I'm pretty sure I'm already friends with from years ago.
Like einstein, I'm reluctant to suspend the account but only for the sake of a very few people. Mostly younger relatives who do a lot on those sites. I have suspended the account before and I'm very close to doing it again.

Old 03-27-2022, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's false drama. LinkedIn does the same thing, "You appeared in ten searches today". That's why I turned that one off.

The Following User Says Thank You to JSchmitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2022, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is annoying and sounds suspect. Might consider unfriending that guy with a million friends and locking your profile down as best you can.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 03-27-2022, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Anyone else getting dozens of friend requests everyday recently?
I have a Facebook account but I'm not really active. I've been getting friend requests for years from people I don't know but I usually accept them when I see some type of car, especially Pontiacs on their page. It's just in my nature not to be rude but lately I'm wondering WTF? Could Facebook be faking requests just to stir up some kind of activity?
I just don't understand why so many people would want to befriend me when I'm really not doing anything of any interest to them or anyone else for that matter.
Why would anyone NOT want to friend you Greg? Word gets around, you’re a popular guy!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 03-27-2022, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I only accept friend requests from people I know personally.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 03-27-2022, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess being a celebrity does have its downsides...lol
I am so 'not' the Facebook guy that I don't even know how to unfriend someone... I'm going to find out though. It is annoying. Having to delete 30 or 40 Facebook emails a day alone is enough to drive you batty.

Old 03-27-2022, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My facebook profile is our deceased english bull dog, I do occasionally get other bull dog owners that want to befriend me, I just ignore or delete them.....

When he ( Charlie, the bull dog ) was still alive, my wife used my E mail address so she could have access to other bull dog groups etc. I kept it in his name so no one bothers me for the most part.....

I don't use the social media at all, I just mostly have it for marketplace.

My mother in law uses her dogs profile too, seems to work pretty well.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-27-2022, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, that's probably the best way... incognito and share the name only with the people of your choosing.

Old 03-27-2022, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My FB account has a profile picture and that’s it. No, it’s not of me. I have no posts and no friends. I only have it so I can see other FB pages and also Marketplace. That’s it.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fakebook stock has dropped some in last Month or two and the accelerated friend stuff is their answer.
I am glad their is MEWE as its an open platform that does try to steer the people

Old 03-28-2022, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
No, I get many friend suggestions but these are actual requests.
Ken, I think that's where I screwed up. I believe at least one of the people I accepted probably has like 1 million friends and now all of a sudden a lot of the request I'm getting are from people who have only one friend in common and when I check many times it's the same guy.
At this point I'm just ignoring them. I've gotten at least 20 more since I started this thread yesterday.
I'm beginning to think that it is a Facebook's automatic feature. I don't really believe all of those people are requesting my friendship.
Another thing that I've noticed over the years is that I sometimes get friend requests from people that I'm pretty sure I'm already friends with from years ago.
Like einstein, I'm reluctant to suspend the account but only for the sake of a very few people. Mostly younger relatives who do a lot on those sites. I have suspended the account before and I'm very close to doing it again.

My "friend suggestions" aren't friend requests. A request if I respond "accept" I am now that persons friend. A suggestion would be me sending that person a request and I would need that person to accept. I think that's FB trying to expand everyone's base.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, I guess it may be like you say, tied into a friend you accepted, who has a zillion friends. I am a light FB user. I get maybe one serious friend request every couple months and maybe a couple randomish requests every month or so. some people collect "friends" like trading cards with thousands. I only friend people with like interests, like obvious Pontiac people, or obvious from music pages I frequent. Once in a while I get friend requests from scantily dressed young women that make me feel old.... NO, I don't accept them