Old 05-06-2023, 04:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1970 pontiac 400 rear deck emblem

So i was looking at used cars for sale on Facebook and viewed a 1970 formula 400 and took a screenshot of rear deck because it has a 400 emblem. Is that stock? It also has sail panels on front fender infront of emblem like a 72 or 73 I think. Im 50 and car been in my family since I was 6. Am I missing these emblems? I do remember gold hood and ram air black.sticker thou., and I thought the rear deck emblem was just aluminum not realizing mine was "toast". Insite please. Thank you. Oh and if this 400 emblem is stock.where can I get 1?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230506-133628_Facebook.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	612062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230506-134039_Facebook.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	612063  

Old 05-06-2023, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This will get URJohnny posting! The rear emblem on that car is NOT original, and also is in wrong location. There was at least 1 on a pre production car, and Pontiac had the emblem made, while it is a bit rare to find any.
Fender emblems are newer than 70 as I recall. 1971 look very similar.
There is a thread on the trunk emblem that is pages long.....

Last edited by Formulabruce; 05-06-2023 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 05:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 400 emblem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
This will get URJohnny posting! The rear emblem on that car is NOT original, and also is in wrong location. There was at least 1 on a pre production car, and Pontiac had the emblem made, while it is a bit rare to find any.
Fender emblems are newer than 70 as I recall. 1971 look very similar.
There is a thread on the trunk emblem that is pages long.....
Not original and wrong location? Where is this emblem suppose to go can you share pics of it? I do recall Eric B mentioning something about rear deck emblem but have never seen one on a car till today. Hmmm

Old 05-06-2023, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No emblem on rear deck.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-06-2023, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
Not original and wrong location? Where is this emblem suppose to go can you share pics of it? I do recall Eric B mentioning something about rear deck emblem but have never seen one on a car till today. Hmmm
The One emblem I saw in a factory "video" was up further like a '69 would be mounted and Not facing towards the rear.
The 70 emblem ( no spoiled car) "would be" 9808505 12.182 23 PLATE PKG., compt. lid (400)
As John Said, this was NOT on any Verified production models.
That said: The "Firebird 400" designation carried on way past this emblem and on into the late 70's for customers.
The Formula model "sorta" replaced it, but we all know 400's came in models other than a Formula..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk emblem 2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	612083  

Last edited by Formulabruce; 05-06-2023 at 10:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulabruce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Link to the thread on the deck lid:

1970 Deck Lid 400 Emblem

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2023, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
So i was looking at used cars for sale on Facebook and viewed a 1970 formula 400 and took a screenshot of rear deck because it has a 400 emblem. Is that stock? It also has sail panels on front fender infront of emblem like a 72 or 73 I think. Im 50 and car been in my family since I was 6. Am I missing these emblems? ...
lol.

This is an OE badge, but just for clarity, it was NEVER used on production vehicles;
As best as I can tell it was used on at least one pre-production Formula, but no production Formula has ever surfaced having had this badge installed.
(keep in mind that all of the press fleet cars were pre-production, and none had this badge - meanwhile one had the plastic valance, and another(?) had no sport mirrors, but one chrome mirror (and non-production chrome button door handles)).

I was searching for one of these trunk badges for a looong time, because I wanted to add it to my car.
Since my car is not, and never will be numbers matching (because i have looked, but my car's history goes cold prior to 1985), I figured I had the liberty of adding a non-production badge that I thought looked cool...

I would never add one of these to a numbers car;
I am incline to agree with a thought floated here a while back - if these ever get reproduced, you likely will see every '70 Formula getting them, as though they were standard equipment.

As to those extra fender badges, although the badging was a little different for the first three years, and that car definitely has extra badging going on... looks like someone got a bit carried away there.

1970: (one year) "Firebird" scrip above 70/71 "Formula 400" badges*
1971: 70/71 "Formula 400" badges* below the one year non-TA fender vent
1972-1974(?): small fender "bird" crest in font of (72-75) "Formula 400" badge**.
1975: "Formula 400" badge** only
1976-81(?): (71-81) "Firebird" script badge above "Formula" decal (non-W50 only)

* = 1970 and 1971 Formula 400 badges are different in the stud placement;
The 1971 Formula badges (350, 400, and 455) all had the studs moved to align with the stud spacing on the 1971-1981 "Firebird" script badge.
I believe this was done so that all non-Trans Am fenders had the same pilot holes drilled for badging (the only deviation was for base/350 or Esprit 400 cars which had a callout below the "firebird" script badge).
I am guessing that 1970 Formula fenders (needing unique badge mounting holes drilled) were unique for that model year, and possibly added more work on the assembly floor - if the fender badge holes were streamlined post-1970, that would conceivably remove an extra step in the production line.
I believe that fenders would have been drilled pre-paint.

** = same applies for 1972-75 'Formula 350' and 1972-1974 'Formula 455' cars, but with appropriate displacement badge used.

If you do some searches here, there are fantastic examples of unmodified cars to be seen;
As two example that come to mind, the "radio promo" car that the Jensen's got not too long ago, and the low mile black Formula that was discussed at length here might both be great examples of cars to look at.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 05-08-2023 at 02:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post: