Old 06-02-2023, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1955 56 57 58 post doors

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some POST doors for a 1958 2 door Pontiac and was wondering if I can widen my search to include Pontiac and Chev doors from 55, 56, 57 and 58 ?

are they all the same size?

Thanks for your help

Old 06-02-2023, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'58 is a one year only. I suspect that Chevy is the same, at the very least the internals would be.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 06-03-2023, 06:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 694.1 View Post
'58 is a one year only. I suspect that Chevy is the same, at the very least the internals would be.
Agree. I know the tri-five years (1955-57) used same doors as Chevy, except for trim. I suspect 1958 did also but not same as earlier years. So you would need to be looking for 1958 Chevy or Pontiac doors for 2-dr sedan.

Old 06-05-2023, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Guys,

I should have noticed the vent window, completely different in 58 from 55,6 and 7.

At least I can broaden my search to include Chev doors from 58.

thanks again for your help

Old 06-05-2023, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

According to Hollander's interchange manual Chevy and Pontiac 1958 doors do NOT interchange.

Old 06-06-2023, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, that is interesting.

I wonder what the difference is?

I have found a possible 58 Chev donor car, and now you have me rethinking this.

Can anyone confirm this?

Old 06-06-2023, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Trim would be different, but I don't know if Hollander's cares about that.

Old 06-06-2023, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

trim would be different of course, but maybe that is why Hollander claims they are different.

Thanks for everyone's help

Old 06-06-2023, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hollander has always had notations of minor work that would be needed to interchange parts, especially GM parts. If they say it won't fit, chances are it won't fit. It would likely be so different that even minor rework won't make it work.

Just my experiences because in the last 50 years I have used Hollander interchange to save my butt, and money in my profession.

58 Pontiac 2 dr sedan is probably gonna be a little tough to find, since there were far more 2 dr hdtps and convertibles made. Someone may be able to weld the upper part of the old sedan door frame to a hdtp/conv door if you have the old parts, the window, and regulator. If the old door is missing you're out of luck to even fabricate one from 2 old doors.

I really didn't think chevy, and Pontiac used the same doors, back then each division had a lot of things in their cars that were different. I know for a fact that even though chevy and Pontiac both used the X backbone frame, the frame and suspension was completely different, nothing would interchange in that department.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-08-2023, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the input, much appreciated

Old 06-08-2023, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I really didn't think chevy, and Pontiac used the same doors, back then each division had a lot of things in their cars that were different. I know for a fact that even though chevy and Pontiac both used the X backbone frame, the frame and suspension was completely different, nothing would interchange in that department.
True, Pontiac and Chevy went their own way and very little interchanges -- except for the body. Pontiac and Chevy divisions don't make the body. They get the bodies delivered from Fisher Body and much does interchange, including all glass and other body parts. All 1958 Pontiac & Chevy glass is the same for the 2-dr sedan.

1955-57 doors do interchange with Chevy except for trim, but I don't know about 1958. The difference in the bodies is in the floor, firewall, quarter panels, and maybe trunk. Pontiac/Chevy station wagons were even made in the same Fisher Body plant. You might call CPR and see if they know about 58 door interchangeability (talk to Rich if you can). A clue might be in the door weatherstripping, if Pontiac and Chevy use the same weatherstripping then there is a high probability that the doors interchange.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info, much appreciated

Old 07-23-2023, 09:10 AM

Not to hijack, but I had a related interchange question. Would fender (lower front quarter) repair panels for a tri-5 Chevy work on a tri-5 Pontiac? I have rust out on the bottom portion lower corner, near the doors. Thanks!

Old 07-23-2023, 05:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very unlikely. The Chevy & Pontiac fenders are different. Pontiac has longer wheel base with front wheels and fender wells positioned further forward than Chevy.

Old 09-22-2023, 01:54 PM

i know of some 58 chevy 2dr sedan doors