Old 02-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Stripe delete on 70-72 Trans Am?

I recently come across this picture of a '71 Trans Am on display at a new-car expo. Notice that its Shaker is white and it appears to have no accents stripes.

HPP posted the photo on its Facebook page and some of the replies coming back are saying that posters owned or recall early Trans Ams being available without stripes.

To date I haven't heard or seen any documentation to support it. Anyone here seen such a car?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1971 Trans Am less stripe.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	352013  

The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky Rotella For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to thefirebirdm@n

Rocky, I have never seen a documented original 70-72 without the stripe package but could it just be as simple as someone requesting the stripe deletion at a dealer? If a dealer thought that the stripe package was a deal breaker to make the sale I'm sure they would try and get the factory to work with them on it.

I've seen references to several documented later model TAs that came with the hood bird deleted.

1973 Trans Am 455/4-speed
1971 Formula 400/400
1969 GTO 400/400 - 3rd owner
1968 Firebird Convertible 350/200R4

POCI - AAC
Old 02-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default T/A NO STRIPE

they probably recall seeing a 1973 without a hood bird, really we need some names & #s of these persons to tell us all about it

Old 02-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that from 1971? Looks like they had Armorall too...

Old 02-06-2014, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The photo owner told me it was the Harrisburg, PA auto show and it was believed to be in 1971.

Here's another angle, which shows the woman handing out, what looks to be Pontiac brochures.

I noticed the driver's door doesn't have the blue compliance label.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1971 Trans Am less stripe Harrisburg PA Auto Show.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	352015  

The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky Rotella For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting that there is no blue VIN conformance decal on the inside of the door.

The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 01:03 PM

All the details look right for an early original 71 TA from what I've seen...ie... black fender vents, plain center caps with no trim rings and chrome rings on the dash bezel. The lack of conformance label is a mystery to me?

Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Trans Am:

If the car in the photo is a pre-production car, they are not required to have the compliance stickers. The manufacturers do not put them on the display cars sometimes because it gives it a cleaner look. Just my .02 cents worth.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IF you check the box on the order form, lower Right, and add a note, this could be done. THis box was to go "outside" the normal color contrast used by GM. IT will allow a note and I seriously doubt a credit would be offered and stripes would end up in trunk, in 1 small cardboard box and 2 cardboard tubes. Common practice on PACE car replica's

Old 02-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
I recently come across this picture of a '71 Trans Am on display at a new-car expo. Notice that its Shaker is white and it appears to have no accents stripes.

HPP posted the photo on its Facebook page and some of the replies coming back are saying that posters owned or recall early Trans Ams being available without stripes.

To date I haven't heard or seen any documentation to support it. Anyone here seen such a car?
This particular car has been modified/detailed.....

In the front view...which is the best one I've seen....the shaker is white with what appears to be black HOdecals.........there is NO bumper bird on it....but does have a larger stylized version of the bumper bird on the hood in front of shaker.

It is either a Pontiac "cosmetic" one off....OR the dealer was playing an "old stock" 71...for their local 73 new model car show....

Also,the front signal fillers and grill surrounds (which should be silver) are painted blue...similar to the interior color.

A showroom type Pontiac tag is mounted in the front tag frame and there is a small card in photo with the PA dealers info on it.

Either WAY....I WANT the girl...............

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!

Last edited by 2manyT/A'S; 02-06-2014 at 02:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default the paint job

does that look like Cameo white. perhaps lighting and age of photograph...this is really a unique photo s and they are just turning up?..I want my paint to look like this car ...are those chrome bezels..see how the tires fit in the wells..71 not 14,,,look at the profile of the door panel...71 or 72

Last edited by transam1972; 02-06-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirebirdm@n View Post
Rocky, I have never seen a documented original 70-72 without the stripe package but could it just be as simple as someone requesting the stripe deletion at a dealer? If a dealer thought that the stripe package was a deal breaker to make the sale I'm sure they would try and get the factory to work with them on it.

I've seen references to several documented later model TAs that came with the hood bird deleted.
Just an FYI....as I recall....there is no such thing as a a "bird delete"...as it was ALWAYS optional........except on the the later 70's SE/LE's

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2manyT/A'S For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default these photos...

...are Awesome!!!..thank you for posting them...these true back in the day are the ones that are the coolest...I want to be there...I see 2 photos, where is there a front view photo where you see the turn signal fillers?,wait,on the HPP website or FB, do I have to join ?..Headed there now... and what year/colour is that blue?

Last edited by transam1972; 02-06-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to thefirebirdm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyT/A'S View Post
Just an FYI....as I recall....there is no such thing as a a "bird delete"...as it was ALWAYS optional........except on the the later 70's SE/LE's
I thought most of the later year models the bird was standard and the buyer had to elect the "option" of not getting the hood bird. Probably semantics in terminology. Same effect.

If the buyer or dealer didn't want them I could see them factory just not installing them and putting them in the trunk. Makes more sense. Car comes down the line complete from a build perspective. I assume they would have included the stripes on the build sheet in that case?

Is it possible this car was specially "prepped" for this show, perhaps by someone that didn't like the stripe package? They could have been installed by a dealer later before it was actually sold and titled.

1973 Trans Am 455/4-speed
1971 Formula 400/400
1969 GTO 400/400 - 3rd owner
1968 Firebird Convertible 350/200R4

POCI - AAC
Old 02-06-2014, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

73 forward you paid extra (optional) for the hood decals.
No pay , no get.
About like the terminology of radio delete - it wasn't a delete. No pay-no get.
The other call-outs would go on - unless a special request to delete.

i vote these pictures are full legit.
the display shag carpet , the buffonted hairdo , the go-go pantsuit , the tires , the various marquee brand signage hanging from ceiling (VW Porsche etc) ...

Most likely a pre-production display/stage car.
Possibly a market test sample to gauge higher or lower acceptance of non-racing striped machinery.

As far as anyone having the 70-72 stripe package deleted on order / or physically removed at new car level - bound to have happened at least once or more.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default photos

perhaps I am more nostalgic but I still cannot get over these photos....anyone certain the interior colour and year of this car?...if there are more than these 2 photos can someone please put them on this thread...inspires me to wait a few years to put on the stripes after its painted! thank you

Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
73 forward you paid extra (optional) for the hood decals.
No pay , no get.
About like the terminology of radio delete - it wasn't a delete. No pay-no get.
The other call-outs would go on - unless a special request to delete.
I love when those talking heads on the auctions spout about "radio delete" and "heater delete" etc.. Yeah right. If you didn't pay for it = You didn't get it.

I once had a 1968 Dodge Dart that was a "Hemi delete". It came stock with a 225 Slant Six. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

In the front view...which is the best one I've seen....the shaker is white with what appears to be black HOdecals.........there is NO bumper bird on it....but does have a larger stylized version of the bumper bird on the hood in front of shaker.

It is either a Pontiac "cosmetic" one off....OR the dealer was playing an "old stock" 71...for their local 73 new model car show....

Also,the front signal fillers and grill surrounds (which should be silver) are painted blue...similar to the interior color.

A showroom type Pontiac tag is mounted in the front tag frame and there is a small card in photo with the PA dealers info on it.

Brian, can you tell me where you're seeing that?

Old 02-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Not sure what picture you're looking at to see all that stuff, but that's a 1971 'Pure Pontiac' brochure she is handing out. The 1973 brochure had a color chart running along the bottom of the back cover - it would be visible.

The Following User Says Thank You to starlightblack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

...some of the comments on the HPP FB page are pretty funny.....