Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Angry Racers, double check everything!!!! Even something you take for granted!

Well, i was going to do some racing the other night and i flowed the fuel pressure for the nitrous before i went out, just like usual. I also checked the timing, just like usual. I had some extra time, so i decided to go ahead and check the timing retard and make sure the right amount of timing was being pulled out when i hit the trigger. Had a buddy in the car, hit the button, NO TIMING PULLED OUT! After checking it 3 or 4 times and still nothing, i was getting sick to my stomach. I have been spraying 225 on this thing for a while. After some wire tracing, i could not believe how i could have let this happen.

I just changed the fuel system. I used to have 2 pumps. And the 2nd pump switch used to arm the nitrous and would also power the timing retard. When i went to one pump, i abandoned the 2nd switch. But i did not move the retard wire to the new arming switch.

To cut this long story short, Always check everything. Even something you are sure about. This cost me a burnt head gasket, and i am VERY VERY VERY lucky to not have hurt anything else. I have made 3 passes this way. I guess the super cold plugs and the c16 helped. I didnt even burn a plug. Scary. It also helps that i only run 30 degrees of timing on the motor.

Funny, i remember when i burnt the gasket, everyone was saying "too much timing"....And i thought they were crazy.

After all that, i fixed the issue, went out and had some fun. Till the tranny broke. Damn th350 finally gave up. No second gear!

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 08-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hear ya!
I had my car on the lift last fall before a track rental and was going over everything.
I found my solid motor mount bolts backed almost al the way out on driver side!
That would not have been good!
Its little things that can make a day at the track turn real bad fast!

370cfm butler eheads
port matched victor
1095 king demon
4.30gear,th400
MICKEY THOMPSON DRAG RADIAL tire
Old 08-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Boost Engineer

Drag Racers typically do not have the same philosophy (or maybe it is time) to do the things that a road race guys does.

A Road Race Guy (because he has a race once a month) will:

Check the rear of the car the first week-end after the previous race.
Check the left front side of the car, including engine, the next week.
Check the right front side of the car, including engine, the last week.
Be ready for safely racing the next week-end.

Most Sportsman Drag Racers, at least my observations, leave the car on the trailer from race to race and never touch (or look at the car) until they add fuel unless they break something.

This in my mind is due to the ability to race in "test and tunes" maybe weekly as well as race on the week-ends more often. The
Road Race Guy has more "free week-ends" to look at things. A PRO
Team assigns people to different areas of the car and they are responsible for that part of the car, period!

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The SCCA guys in northern CA when I autocrossed on tech would even jack the car up and check front and rear wheel free play. EVERY car got this and they might tell you to tighten your front wheel bearings and come back.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Boost Engineer

Same deal here, Skip. Open wheel stuff, every one had to pass an "egress test"

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

I know when I get my 63 tempest Drag car going, I intend to do a visual check of the overall car everytime before it hits the track! I've seen a few guys have, cracked/ broken suspension parts, or leaking lines, etc, and not realize it until they've spew stuff on the track. luckily they, and car were not seriously hurt by these incidents!

Old 08-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I go over my car before each trip to the track. You'd be surprised what loosens up with vibration and abuse on the track.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 08-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I learned a hard lesson this Sunday (yesterday). It was king of the track day. Top 16 racers for a Wally and a Gold card. I pulled through the water and started my burn-out for the first round of elims. The car made a very hard right hand turn and when it grabbed it sent my head hard into the side of the roll cage. I thought this was odd because it had never done that in the 7 years I have been racing it. I was creeping forward to stage and I noticed white smoke filling the cockpit. All of a sudden the starter begins waving his hands and running towards me with a flat catch pan. 7 and a half quarts of tranny fluid from the burn box to the starting line. Lesson: do no use the Twist-Tite hose for your tranny cooler lines. The twist tite did not "twist tite" enough and the hose blew off of the fitting. Thank God it did not happen at 120 MPH.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Boost Engineer

Even the "Dukes of Hazard" would not use rubber hose! LOL!

Tom V.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Check your modulator screw...if adjustable

I wasted a trans (TH400) at VMP..started slipping in second gear..not bad but bad enough that I shifted from 1-3 to finish week end..I checked fluid,modulator hose connection,and shift linkage. I pulled the trans and took to builder...
When he tore it down it was toast!! The damn adjustment screw in the modulator had backed all the way out....the vac hose stopped it.!! Of course this effected pump pressures and did in trans.. Live and learn.
I made a tool to check depth of screrw head and will check it often.
My builder uses a scale to preset the modulator pressure..
I haven't even heard of this happening ??!!!
I do check mine out between every race..it's to damn expessive to waste on a DA mistake....

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 08-05-2008, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to adam woodmancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79TA455STROKED View Post
I hear ya!
I had my car on the lift last fall before a track rental and was going over everything.
I found my solid motor mount bolts backed almost al the way out on driver side!
That would not have been good!
Its little things that can make a day at the track turn real bad fast!
i found that exact same thing this summer also.. left side was loose and right side was working on it

Quarter-Max Chassis and Racing Components
Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It only takes a few minutes to just check over the car. Like Darin said, it's amazing what can vibrate loose on these things. I'm constantly checking tire clearances, wheel bearings and suspension parts. My biggest fear is having something let go in the steering.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Even the "Dukes of Hazard" would not use rubber hose! LOL

LMAO Tom--Dukes of Hazard--smart A$$ :0)

I always wonder why the tranny coolers came with rubber hose. Must be made in Georgia.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Upper cross member

I was going over things this week getting ready to go to Norwalk. A fresh motor, new clutch and transmission after breakage at the end of last season. As I was looking over the under carriage of the car, I noticed the upper cross member that mounts the control arms was cracked off on the drivers side. It must have broke last fall when I hurt my Jerico, as the whole rear end moved. When I hung the drive shaft it was against my loop. The car is at Alston getting a band aid in hopes to still leave for Norwalk in the morning.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
I was going over things this week getting ready to go to Norwalk. A fresh motor, new clutch and transmission after breakage at the end of last season. As I was looking over the under carriage of the car, I noticed the upper cross member that mounts the control arms was cracked off on the drivers side. It must have broke last fall when I hurt my Jerico, as the whole rear end moved. When I hung the drive shaft it was against my loop. The car is at Alston getting a band aid in hopes to still leave for Norwalk in the morning.
Damn Calvin....
I check my frame,suspension,drive line, & tires after every race...especially after your Dad,s 59 bent the rear !!! These old cars got old frames......

Hope to see you & your Dad (with cars) at Norwalk...!

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 PM

after i switch from power to manual brakes the car felt like it was using only front brakes at the big end. a couple of days later i noticed a brake line off the master that was almost pinched shut. not cool. its stuff like that which is why i like having my car close to me. so i can pick at it.

1979 trans am - 462' #12 heads
2001 sunset orange trans am firehawk #154