Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-27-2018, 03:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default trans shield lower pan strap question

i am installing a summit powerglide trans shield (in car). Have brackets attached to mount shield to case, but big u shaped bracket/strap that mounts to side of shield and goes under pan will not fit with shifter bracket. Bracket is right in way and not moveable.
I noticed TCI makes a version that has two thin straps instead of the one large strap. Does anyone have experience with this. Do two thinner straps mount to trans pan bolts or do they mount to the case.
Am i looking at this wrong or has anyone else ran into this issue.
TCI970005
SUM-G118SFI
I looked up the TCI instructions for shield and they only list version for large strap
TCI sells just mouting kit. If the straps mount to pan I can just buy a new strap kit instead of having to buy another shield.
I imagine not including a lower strap will negate the legality of the shield?

Old 01-27-2018, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the lower straps are to keep the shield from blowing " UP " they hold it down in the case of explosion. that's why it bolts to the shield and not the pan bolts straps have to be there to be legal at least in nhra

Old 01-28-2018, 10:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks, can't believe the poor fit of brackets and mods needed, I know it's racing, but shield on my th350 yrs ago fit perfectly.
I had to modify shift linkage and bracket for fitting huge lower strap.
If this ever blows up I'm getting aftermarket case

Old 01-29-2018, 01:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a TCI shield on my Power Glide. It has the two thinner straps that bolt to the upper shield. I did not have any problems with the bracket for the shift cable.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After Arnie's bad mishap back in '03 I made the decision no matter how much of a pain in the A$$ Saftey stuff is I'll make it work the way the SFI folks want it,the best I can. I had a few issues with my power glide and shift linkage issues when I 1st put the glide in...I used a small spacer to make the linkage more in line it's worked great for 7seasons now.

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23