Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
Yesterday i discovered a leak at the bottom of my power steering pump. It is leaking where the flaired end of the hose is attached to the back of the pump. the pump is a remanufactured one and the hose flair appeared to be okay. I know the pump is putting out 1000-1200 psi. How can I seal it? I have ordered three new pressure hoses and have not got the correct one yet. Anyone know the correct one for a 68 GTO no AC, not HO or Ram Air?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi,
Yesterday i discovered a leak at the bottom of my power steering pump. It is leaking where the flaired end of the hose is attached to the back of the pump. the pump is a remanufactured one and the hose flair appeared to be okay. I know the pump is putting out 1000-1200 psi. How can I seal it? I have ordered three new pressure hoses and have not got the correct one yet. Anyone know the correct one for a 68 GTO no AC, not HO or Ram Air?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine leaked in the same area and after replacing the hose, I discovered that the fault was the pump reservoir fitting.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Silly question, Original motor or more important original timing cover and altenator mount. I'm using a newer timing cover and altenator bracket in my 68 FB and couldn't order a hose to fit. Not enough room behind the pump for the elbow. Found a hydrolic place in town that had a fitting with less material after the bend and it now works. Too bad cause my leak was because of a defective bypass which caused the fluid out the cap. Alan

Old 03-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had a similar problem recently with a remanufactured pump. We checked the tightness of the high pressure fitting on the back of the pump before we put it on and it seemed alright. However, after running the motor a few times it started to leak and we found that the fitting was a little loose [pump was probably not fully seated in the resevoir]. Play400 has a good suggestion, have a hose made exactly like you need it, I've had to do that myself.

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A truck or tractor place can do that easy. You may have a bad washer behind the HP fitting between there & the housing though. It may be hard to tell if it is a very small leak with that much pressure.

I have just been through a round of crap replacing the pump on a '66 F/S. It appears they all have the return in the Chevy (center) location now. After 5 different suppliers & 3 wrong pumps, ended up having to use my own resevoir & just replace the pump & gaskets. Seems OK so far.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Deadhead - Been there - done that far too many times. Can't ever seem to get the right resevoir on a reman pump. That is one of the reason why I have been starting to collect the old Pontiac resevoirs any time I see one.

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like it would be a good business. The Advance computer catalog has a photo of a Chevy pump/resevoir on the Pontiac pump listing . I'm glad they had the photo or I would hve wasted another 2 days & 140 miles of driving. Something wrong in the national parts computer.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress