(Clutch Guys Matter)

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 08-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had to replay the video. I blinked and it was over. Congrats.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks to Mike ,Eric, and Jerry, Dave and his son and all the members of the Boss Bird crew for all the insight into the new aluminum block engine.

One thing nice about all the players on the team is they have time to answer questions, explain stuff. Other than this car, all my racing background is oval track cars so my knowledge of a fuel car is limited. Mike answers all the nuts and bolts questions, Eric gives you the engineers perspective, and Jerry tells you everything you ever needed to know about the Nitro and tuner knowledge.

Other than the valve train hiccup Friday, the weekend seemed to go well and all the hard work and thrashing leading up to Norwalk was rewarded by a team best 6.02 best ever run, and no major breakage.

So I suppose a RA V sprint car is outta the question now? ..............LOL

There was no video of the tow vehicle going down the return road after the 6.02 run, all the jumping up and down and arm waving that was going on in the pickup bed after the 6.02 run was pretty neat to watch, I think they were overjoyed!!!!!

Congrats guys, you earned it the hard way.....................

Friday when I pulled up in the mini sprint car look alike pit vehicle, they all knew who it was, and came over to look the vehicle over. Mike noticed right away it had a Tecumseh US made engine, rather than a chinese predator engine .................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 08-08-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Video of the Saturday run. Planned shutoff after 1/8th mile. Thanks to the person who posted it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dauIDP6W0w

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-08-2016, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a side note for all the doubters that think that fine oil particulate won't harm a high performance race/street engine, and a by pass filtration system isn't necessary. The Boss Bird guys have adopted a hybrid by pass filtration system on this new engine that filters the oil returning to tank. Eric and Mike shared the info with me about the newest addition to help with engine longevity. Granted it isn't just like a street system, but removing all the fine stuff (6 microns) from the oil is a priority and these guys change oil every time the engine fires up to remove the residuals from the corrosive Nitro-methane in the oil.

Changing oil frequently doesn't preclude you from engine damage due to fine particulate that a common full flow oil filter won't remove.

Being there while the guys cut open their filters proved that the new system was doing it's job of removing solids from the oil.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 08-08-2016, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Watched the run,when you seemed straight and stayed in it,wow.Thanks.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Great run guys and gals.

Mike and Eric did a wonderful job on this build. They kept us informed as they progressed building the block out. We were untested until the 1/8 pass.

I was there as they the pull the engine down after the 1/8 mile hit for inspection. There Nitro tuner and Mike could still see the bore gauge marks in the bearings as if they were never run. Everyone of the bearings looked and measured to the original specifications. The oil pan was clean with no signs of metal any where. So the bearings went back in for the 1/4 mile run. That means the block did it's job and did not twist. It took 3000 thousand Horse Power or more.

Mike and Eric were so excited after that pass. Eric was dancing in the pits.

This is a great time for all the Pontiac people.

Quickest, Fastest, Best selling Pontiac Aftermarket Block IA II and Tiger Heads

Boss Bird Funny Car
Best pass to date 08/06/2016 6.027@231.64
Allpontiac Big Chief Aluminum Engine Block

http://www.AllPontiac.com
Old 08-08-2016, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats to all involved! Mike & Eric your persistence and hard work is finally starting to pay off!
I really enjoy the pics of the autopsy and your progress and the changes you have made to correct whatever comes up.
Pretty awesome if you ask me! From my experience,nitro is a different crazy animal and you guys are doing a great job! Keep up the good work! And THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING the good & bad of your journey to the. 5's because it's gona happen soon!

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 08-08-2016, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I watched the video and it really doesn't compare to being there in person. But great none the less. Congrats to all involved.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Congrats - 5's close

Old 08-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Eric, Mike, and crew. YOU GUY's ROCK !!!!!! Very nice effort. Congratulations !!!!!!

330-628-3354 cell
Designer if the DCI Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air 5 Heads !!!!!
Old 08-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That was so awesome to see that pass. My wife was almost blown over at the line!
Really enjoyed talking to you guys and celebrating on the line. You guys are my hero's!

East Coast Pontiac engine builder - still going strong
4 month waiting list
email spotfam@verizon.net

1981 Trans Am 455 w/6X heads 4 speed 4 wheel disc (for sale)
1969 Trans Am clone 9.79 at 139 so far
1964 Banshee clone project - Opel GT platform
Old 08-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Thanks to Mike ,Eric, and Jerry, Dave and his son and all the members of the Boss Bird crew for all the insight into the new aluminum block engine.

One thing nice about all the players on the team is they have time to answer questions, explain stuff. Other than this car, all my racing background is oval track cars so my knowledge of a fuel car is limited. Mike answers all the nuts and bolts questions, Eric gives you the engineers perspective, and Jerry tells you everything you ever needed to know about the Nitro and tuner knowledge.

Other than the valve train hiccup Friday, the weekend seemed to go well and all the hard work and thrashing leading up to Norwalk was rewarded by a team best 6.02 best ever run, and no major breakage.

So I suppose a RA V sprint car is outta the question now? ..............LOL

There was no video of the tow vehicle going down the return road after the 6.02 run, all the jumping up and down and arm waving that was going on in the pickup bed after the 6.02 run was pretty neat to watch, I think they were overjoyed!!!!!

Congrats guys, you earned it the hard way.....................

Friday when I pulled up in the mini sprint car look alike pit vehicle, they all knew who it was, and came over to look the vehicle over. Mike noticed right away it had a Tecumseh US made engine, rather than a chinese predator engine .................
Hush yo mouf, I love me some Tecumsehs too! I skull dragged Briggs engines for many years in kart racing with those little injuns!

'78 Lemans - Drag car project
Old 08-08-2016, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's the OHV Powersport one too, says 12 HP. It has the checkered flags on the decal on the flywheel/fan shroud..................

Too bad the former owner ran it without an air cleaner, has some blowby, still runs good enough for the 3 day workout it gets at Norwalk once a year.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 08-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Watched it from the end of the track. Sounded awesome all the way to the stripe. Congratulations to the whole team.

Tom Syron

Old 08-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like many been following since the beginning. Money is one thing, but cant emagine the time and effort envolved.
Stop'd by the pit a few times Saturday/Sunday. Never saw the team resting.
Didnt stay more then a minute cause i couldnt stay focused with people watching me trash back in the day...
Was next to burn out box Sunday. Eyes teared up a just bit after the run. Nothing like with the National Anthem does to me...must of been the fumes
Way cool for sure.

Congrats to all involved!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 08-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
It's the OHV Powersport one too, says 12 HP. It has the checkered flags on the decal on the flywheel/fan shroud..................

Too bad the former owner ran it without an air cleaner, has some blowby, still runs good enough for the 3 day workout it gets at Norwalk once a year.
I raced the smaller ones of course, but I know how to make those little injuns fly! 😀
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	434398  

'78 Lemans - Drag car project
Old 08-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Stop'd by the pit a few times Saturday/Sunday. Never saw the team resting.
Didnt stay more then a minute cause i couldnt stay focused with people watching me trash back in the day...!
Stop in next time! We love putting faces to names on the board. The match racing deal demands lots of crowd interaction so we're used to it.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-09-2016, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Eric, How did the bearings look?

Quickest, Fastest, Best selling Pontiac Aftermarket Block IA II and Tiger Heads

Boss Bird Funny Car
Best pass to date 08/06/2016 6.027@231.64
Allpontiac Big Chief Aluminum Engine Block

http://www.AllPontiac.com
Old 08-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Congrats guys ! The boss bird was incredible sounding on that pass . Badass