The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-13-2016, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I think I'll do some practicing before I decide .... I've got until next summer to make up my mind.

Tempest ... I'd be happy with a finish like yours (minus the stripes ) Or actually .. not quite as glossy as yours, yours looks too good for a replica factory paint job

Old 05-13-2016, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks for the tip bdk, I will try that when I jam the car.

Every time I paint, only been 7 or 8 times now, always primer except for my 1 bc/cc experiment, I learn something new.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:54 PM
Senior Chief

I shot arcrylic enamel on my 68 firebird vert way back in the late 80's. I was pretty young and using a borrowed garage. I had to clean out the garage, prep it for paint, paint the car and get the hell out of there in 1 weekend. it was exhausting but the results were very good.

You have to practice getting into a total focused mindset. the first time(s) you spray should not determine completely if you will or won't paint your car. In my opinion if you practice, gain skill and confidence and bring a boatload of focus and patience you can do a good paint job yourself in your garage. Incidentally, from what I know the paints sold today are legal for home use. but your neighbors will complain like a bunch of schoolgirls if they smell fumes!!. so when I painted my motorcycle parts last year (basecoat/clearcoat) I did most of my spraying at night after my neighbors had closed their door and went in for the night.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just did the top half of my 64 GP in Axalta (dupont) cromax mosaic base and LE8700S Premier clear, in my shop, no fans (wasn't the whole car so why bother) and it came out real good, some dirt in the clear but that can be cut and buffed out as i have twice as much clear on as the factory. Is this car a concourse car? if not, why not put the extra layer of protection of a clear coat on the car? We can't by regular paint up here, it has to all be low VOC, so no reducer. Color, Binder, Hardener. Done. Clear is just clear and hardener. I laid the paint down well enough with a devilbiss finish line that any imperfections were from the environment and not the gun. My first BC/CC job and with a little cut and buff should look pretty damn good.

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The goal is as close to a concourse car as I can get ... there will be some compromises, but typically I don't think they like to see a modern BC/CC finish when shooting for that "unrestored - restored" look.