THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Not even close, I tried.

440P with Edelbrock ProFlo 4 and KRE heads. My LS3 beat it in every aspect, and I did not need to go thru 3 sets of roller lifters either.
Eric will be racing his 2nd gen Pontiac powered TA against a field of LS based and new hemi based cars next year. Can just about guarantee he will be the only Pontiac powered car. May get his azzz handed to him. Will let you know.

You said you tried and I for one appreciate your efforts. 50 years of engine development since the last real Pontiac designs were put to paper should account for some progress.

I had a student put an old engine in a new chassis. Kind of the reverse of the 2+2 build. 2013 Mustang GT. Took the Coyote engine out and threw it in the garbage. He installed a Ford 385 series John Kasse Boss 429 engine. It made 735 HP and 810 Ft. Lbs. of torque on our engine dyno. 6 speed manual trans car. It was a blast to drive. For some reason the old engine in the new car thing doesn't get under my skin as much. I may need counseling!

Last edited by mgarblik; 12-12-2022 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I have no doubt that the owner is happy with his car. He should be. The "power, handling, and efficiency" could have been matched or exceeded with a traditional, correct Pontiac V-8 engine. He chose to take the lazy, easy way out. Nothing wrong with that if it has little or no meaning to you. It's just fine, no argument. An aluminum IA II, port fuel injection, modern seals and gaskets and engine management system and your there. It would cost more and take more skill to make it happen than a cookie cutter transplant. Also, it would only matter to a real Pontiac person. Only a few thousand of them still alive.
To your point: Exactly why Butler started their LS engine business. They saw the writing on the wall years ago. Diversify to the LS platform or go out of business in 10-15 years. I don't hold that against them or this guy for cutting up his 2+2. He should do what makes him happy. To me it's a very cool car that could be even cooler with a Pontiac engine.

I would also add I have no ill will for the LS platform engines. We build them all the time in my classes. How can anybody complain when they can run at 1000 HP with a stock bottom end? Very strong case, crankshaft containment. Like every engine, they do have some issues. Lousy stock oil pump, some head sealing issues at higher power levels with thin head castings and essentially 10 head bolts. Oil leak issues at rear seal carrier, rocker arm needles grinding up/falling out. No engine is perfect, but they are damn impressive.
Check-Writers are vastly different than those of us that do their own cars and their own work. Check-Writers have their place, I suppose, but are not gearheads. 'Nuff said.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice looking car. Not my cup of tea though. I am on the keep it Pontiac band wagon, to me thats what owning an old car is. If you want something that handles and drives like a new car, then buy a new car.
I know I drive like an old man (maybe because I am) but I see no sense in a car needing to be 700+hp.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess that's what makes the world go round...different strokes for different fokes. I myself would love to have a 700 hp street car.

Old 12-12-2022, 07:06 PM
Senior Chief

All Canadian Pontiacs (A, B and X bodies) had Chevy engines back in the 60s. As well as complete Chevy chassis on the B bodies and a mix of Chevy interior bits. So installing an LS in a Pontiac today is not out of the ordinary. I have no problem modifying cars, done it all my life. If I were building that 2+2, I would have used Grand Prix grills and tail lights to enhance the appearance.

This is sort of the Canadian version of the 2+2. A Grand Parisienne Sport. This one is a 396 with 4 speed, but a 425hp 427 was available. I was looking for one of these a few years ago.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	603440  

Old 12-12-2022, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Respect. Nice build. I want to take the Pontiac Purist side about the engine, but that LS just makes sense with the full chassis conversion.

I have a huge soft spot for these cars, as I spent most of my childhood in Pontiacs of that era. In late 65 Dad bought 3 Catalinas from Myrtle Motors as company cars, a black/red 65 Catalina Safari wagon (ours) and 2 66 Catalina 4-door sedans for my 2 uncles, one was this color, the other was the light green. Added to that a used white/black 64 Bonneville coupe for a couple of those years, and the next door neighbor drove a black/parchment 65 GP I also rode in quite a bit. So to see one done up to this level of modern tech is pretty cool.

Yeah, interior would have been far more interesting in a 66 color like turquoise or parchment, but I'm not footin' the bill.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a friend at Alfred State College in 1969 that had a 1966 421 4speed 2+2. Low miles on it and in excellent shape. That was the sweetest car I'd ever seen back then Even better than a 66 GTO in my book. I've never seen another one since then.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-13-2022, 03:13 AM
Senior Chief

I like the colour of the car, I think it's a bit too low and would have looked better slightly less low. The interior is pretty good, the center console is what I do not like. Too much like a new car and I would have opted for some form of (fuel injected) Pontiac engine. What I noticed was the long story about the pedals and it shows a nice gas, brake and clutch pedal but they forgot to make a nice e-brake pedal.. a shame. All in all, I wouldn't object to owning that car though

Old 12-13-2022, 08:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think with a set of wide 15" wheels and an "ambulance' spec suspension the handling would be good enough to satisfy most people and give the ground clearance needed for the real world. Ditto for the LS transplant. They belong in Chevies.

Old 12-13-2022, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice car. Wouldn't mind having it.. though I would change the seats. There is no way I could justify the expense of having all of that done. I'm guessing the Roadster Shop conversion bill would be 150-200k plus the cost of the car.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 12-13-2022, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they did a nice job. As with any car that’s been modified, it’s easy to find something you don’t like about it. The whole touch screen digital stuff is what I don’t like. I’m OK with the engine and the overall look. Obviously the owner is a car enthusiast, not a Pontiac nut! The look of a Catalina is much nicer in my opinion than an Impala. If the mechanicals are being updated to modern technology then why not an LS motor? To each is own is how I see it. There are some that only like restorations with no changes. That’s great but individually is what makes the hobby interesting.
Would I like one? Certainly! I’d enjoy that thing every day!