Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-20-2021, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Engine strap (chain) bolt hole OK with aluminum heads?

Hello,

I am installing a chain from the DS head to the frame to limit movement and prevent the DS mount from failing.

My goal is to hide the chain as much as possible and I have a perfect spot, everything lines up well, but I am looking for feedback on whether or not loading the corner of the aluminum head is likely to cause damage to it. The bolt hole is at the bottom outside corner.

If these were iron heads I wouldn't give it a second thought but being aluminum I'm just not sure if it is likely to hurt something.

Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_215409.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	562994   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_215536.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	562995  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 03-20-2021, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it were me I would make/use something similar to the old Chevy Lift Stop kits.
These were cables installed low and close to the frame/mount to prevent lift.
I would not go high and/or bolt to an aluminum part.
JM2C

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CHEVY LIFT STOP CABLE KIT.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	562996  

Old 03-20-2021, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would have no question about using it if I first where to drill and tap it out for a 7/16” fine thread bolt .
Also a key detail when using a chain is that even when the engine is not running that there is some minor tension on it like you can apply from a turn buckle.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!

Last edited by steve25; 03-20-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
Hello,

I am installing a chain from the DS head to the frame to limit movement and prevent the DS mount from failing.

My goal is to hide the chain as much as possible and I have a perfect spot, everything lines up well, but I am looking for feedback on whether or not loading the corner of the aluminum head is likely to cause damage to it. The bolt hole is at the bottom outside corner.

If these were iron heads I wouldn't give it a second thought but being aluminum I'm just not sure if it is likely to hurt something.

Opinions?

it will work fine & not cause any damage to the head. i use a stainless chain with about 1/4" slack in that same location on a 500+hp stroker motor & it drops straight down to the frame where i drilled a hole with a grade 8 3/8 bolt & poly lock nut, & used a couple washers to space it off the head & frame. very hard to see behind the power steering pump. the chevy straps to the A-arm mentioned above will work too but are very visible & unsightly IMO. a nice turnbuckle is another option.

i also made my own mity mount since this is on an earlier 2nd gen firebird that doesnt have the later clam shell mounts. so far has worked great with lots of low 11sec drag strip runs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2821a.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	563003  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is my setup, bolted to the top outside hole. The seatbelt has a more sophisticated look than a chain lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leeklm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As others have said, I run an adustable rod to that bolt on my car. Edelbrock aluminum heads. Have for years with no issues.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:29 PM
Boost Engineer

I have had, as posted previously several engine block retaining set-ups over the years (with a manual trans drive-line) that I was power-shifting.

The version I am going to use with the 455 block will be a very simple piece of flat stock material 1/8" thick by 1 inch wide with a 3/8" hole very slightly slotted upward.
I am planning on making that a 7/16" tall slot. So about a 1/16" of clearance.

I will attach the lower part of the strap to the frame with a 3/8" hole and bolt.
The hole will just clear the 3/8" fastener.

Basically I want no twisting of the engine reacting on the Nash Transmission or
clutch linkage. I think it will work great and will not rattle.

I had the chain deal and the cable deal and saw too mush exhaust header swing with
excessive retention clearance. Engine could not break the mount but the rest of the
parts attached to the engine were getting worn by the engine/trans/exhaust movement.

Not a issue with a slip on collector exhaust but a totally welded exhaust system would eventually crack and need repairs. I have seen the same issues with Exhaust systems on some turbo applications. Two many Dollars on a custom Stainless Exhaust system to ignore movement of the driveline parts.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I really like the "seat belt" section. A fabric strap will do a great job of cushioning the initial "hit" when the block jerks under torque.

Same reason I like tow straps instead of--or in addition to--tow chains. The towed and the towing vehicle don't get the "impact" or "shock" of the chain getting tight, the tow strap provides some elasticity.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2021, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could fabricate a plate to incorporate two or three of the mounting holes.
then weld a nut or bolt to the center of that.

Old 03-20-2021, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL BOWMAN1 View Post
You could fabricate a plate to incorporate two or three of the mounting holes.
then weld a nut or bolt to the center of that.
That was my plan B if it seemed to be a sketchy connecting point with only 1 bolt, but I would have to machine the back of the PS pump bracket an equal amount to keep the pulleys aligned.

Glad to see others have used that bolt hole with no issues, I'll carry on!

Thanks guys

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 03-21-2021, 12:02 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeklm View Post
Here is my setup, bolted to the top outside hole. The seatbelt has a more sophisticated look than a chain lol.

I used a similar set up on my 69 Bird... just used the turn buckle from block to frame. But installed it at the back of the head (EDL) drivers side to the frame.

On the street I kept a little slack to allow some movement. When I went to the track, I gave it a few twist to pre-load it to help minimize twisting.

It never rattled or made any noise. I went from changing drivers side motor mounts once every 3-4 months before to not having to change them for years.

Great low buck mod!

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 03-21-2021, 05:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeklm View Post

Slick - do you have better pic where seatbelt is attached to frame?

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 03-21-2021, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're worried about stressing the hole in the aluminum I would use a stud rather than a bolt. With a stud you can get maximum thread engagement of the depth of the hole. This point only has to hold the twisting force, it doesn't hold the weight of the engine at rest as the OEM mounts do.

The further the mounting point is from the centerline of the crankshaft, the more mechanical advantage (leverage) the tie down point has. The LS engine, for example, has 4 mounting points on each side of the engine to spread the stress of the mounting points over a wider area. It also is a skirted block and is a stronger design to begin with. The older Pontiac design needs as much help as possible to keep block distortion to a minimum, IMO.

I've used just a turnbuckle with just a very small amount of free play for many years. I had a problem with mounts breaking in my dirt track cars every couple of weeks. Installing a turn buckle stopped the mounts from breaking. After 2 years I pulled the engine from the car and the mounts were as good as new.

Transferring the holding of the torque from the oil pan rail area to the left cylinder head also takes stress from the older mount 2 bolt which uses only 2 mounting points, and straddles the #3 main bulkhead.

In 1970 with the advent of the 455 engine Pontiac engineers slid the mounts forward, and lengthened the mount so the later design used 3 mounting points with stiffeners cast into the block mounting points. This allowed the #2 and #3 bulkheads to share the load. With the 2 bolt system it has been documented that the #3 bulkhead will distort, and is subject to cracking in high HP applications. Transferring the stress to the front of the left cylinder head also lets the stress be transferred to the right cylinder hear by the coolant crossover tying both cylinder heads together.. I believe that lessening the forces from the pan rail area to the left front of the engine are beneficial to longevity of the block, especially in high HP applications, and also using a stock block, as opposed to the stronger aftermarket castings.

A front motor plate also is a more sophisticated way to distribute the twisting force to the whole block, rather than just a small area above the pan rail area.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-21-2021, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Slick - do you have better pic where seatbelt is attached to frame?
Here it is

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 03-22-2021, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 03-22-2021, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How about solid motor mounts?

Old 03-22-2021, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
How about solid motor mounts?
Knowing what I know about Pontiac engineers revising the mounts in 1970 to better handle the stress placed upon the sides of the block in the larger displacement engines. Plus seeing blocks break, and crack in the webbing of the #3 bulkhead, the last thing I'd want to do is remove any elasticity from the motor mount attachment points, especially on the older style 2 bolt mounts.

There are people that run them on this board that will tell you they're fine, but I'd rather use a limiting device attached to the left cylinder head than solid mounts placing all the stress on the left side of the block, especially stock blocks.

The mounting points may survive just fine on a low performance street tire application, but having sticky tires on a high torque example is going to start trying to distort the left side of the block and main webs.

There was recently a picture of a 69 GTO drag car that split the stock block into two halves posted on PY.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...02#post6234402

After looking at this carnage there is some validity to the point of these engines will fail under extreme circumstances. Putting a solid mount on the left side isn't going to help any, at least IMO.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-22-2021, 10:45 AM
Suspended

W T F ^ ^ ^

Old 03-25-2021, 10:22 AM

Had a 68 firebird 350 when I was a kid. Pulling into a gas station when engine starts revving up big time . Trying to brake, but rear tires are spinning. Finally slap it into neutral and shut key. Under the hood found motor mount broken which let engine rise on drivers side, which pulled the accelerator cable to carb and gave it more gas, which which raised it higher, which pulled it tighter...... Installed a section of chain from head to upper control arm foward bolt. Not pretty but effective