Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-09-2023, 02:16 PM

Default MT Aluminum Rods

Long time lurker here, who finally joined! I recently picked some old MT rods and can't find any info on this particular set. There is no MT part number on them. Only Mickey Thompson and a stamp that reads "3B". I've looked online extensively and can't find anything that matches. Anyone have any info they could share? They are supposedly pontiac but I haven't been able to measure yet. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to Danish1995 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 05:18 PM
Boost Engineer

I HAD A SET OF MT ALUMINUM RODS (that I made into several (4) desk lamps.
They were used.

People who see the lamps always ask about the rods.

Easy enough to caliper the rod (with the cap off) and check if the connecting rod
pin center is close to 6.625" for the length. The serrations of the rod/cap will slightly
throw off the length.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I HAD A SET OF MT ALUMINUM RODS (that I made into several (4) desk lamps.
They were used.

People who see the lamps always ask about the rods.

Easy enough to caliper the rod (with the cap off) and check if the connecting rod
pin center is close to 6.625" for the length. The serrations of the rod/cap will slightly
throw off the length.

Tom V.

I can definitely measure once I get home, I was just curious if anybody had any other info on these since they don't have a normal MT part number.

Old 09-10-2023, 12:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I dont think you are getting the hint that they make great desk lamps....

Old 09-10-2023, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What is a "normal" M/T part number?

Old 09-10-2023, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twister View Post
I dont think you are getting the hint that they make great desk lamps....
I got that. However it did not answer what I asked. Which was if anyone had info on these. It is just a curiosity I have because I cannot find anything on these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
What is a "normal" M/T part number?
As far as I'm aware they usually are like MT-1528 MT-1606. MT and four numbers. These rods do not follow that. They only have a "3B" Stamped per my original post.

Just wanted to see what was out there on them.
Bought them as garage art, and my curiosity got the best of me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Danish1995 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2023, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No matter what engine they may have been made for you can tell that they have been run before just by looking in the pin bore,

By far the most important thing that you can’t tell ( no history on) is how long they have been run and up to how high a rpm they where taken up to!

Also compared to Aluminum rods today those MT rods where not made of the best formulation of Aluminum, and are not as good as rods made today.

If I was looking for used Aluminum rods I would try to turn up a set of Bill Miller rods that where used in a street build, otherwise take those and as posted make them into a lamp holder of bolt some together for a door stop or melt them down to block the exh crossover in iron heads used for racing.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2023, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The OP was pretty clear that he bought them as garage art.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish1995 View Post

Bought them as garage art
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
No matter what engine they may have been made for you can tell that they have been run before just by looking in the pin bore,

By far the most important thing that you can’t tell ( no history on) is how long they have been run and up to how high a rpm they where taken up to!

Also compared to Aluminum rods today those MT rods where not made of the best formulation of Aluminum, and are not as good as rods made today.

If I was looking for used Aluminum rods I would try to turn up a set of Bill Miller rods that where used in a street build, otherwise take those and as posted make them into a lamp holder of bolt some together for a door stop or melt them down to block the exh crossover in iron heads used for racing.
Well aware they are used. I'm not that dense, I also clearly said they were gonna be garage art.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danish1995 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Well aware they are used. I'm not that dense, I also clearly said they were gonna be garage art.
To be fair you didn’t mention you bought them as garage art until your third post here.

Not everyone reads every post in a thread, many here will read the initial post and formulate an answer from there.

Maybe making it clear you had no intention of running them in your initial post would have been helpful.

Old 09-10-2023, 01:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had no intension to insult the OP. I bought a set of BME rods from HO racing, when those and late SD rods were the only real upgrade over cast rods. If I remember all the other aluminum rods were cast (Superrods etc). That cast crank 400 with those BME rods saw 7k every time it ran. Its still intact in a barn in eastern MI

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Twister For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2023, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
To be fair you didn’t mention you bought them as garage art until your third post here.

Not everyone reads every post in a thread, many here will read the initial post and formulate an answer from there.

Maybe making it clear you had no intention of running them in your initial post would have been helpful.
Don't want to be politically incorrect here... But when did info search and intended use start meaning the same thang?

Asking for a friend
Clay

The Following User Says Thank You to "QUICK-SILVER" For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
Don't want to be politically incorrect here... But when did info search and intended use start meaning the same thang?

Asking for a friend
Clay
When you come into the race section asking about ancient M/T aluminum rods one might expect some advice on whether or not they may or may not be useable in a race application.

Again making it clear they were bought solely for display purposes in the first place would have saved everyone trying to be helpful some trouble and aggravation here.

Relay this answer to your friend.

Old 09-10-2023, 01:29 PM

Quote:
When you come into the race section asking about ancient M/T aluminum rods one might expect some advice on whether or not they may or may not be useable in a race application.

Again making it clear they were bought solely for display purposes in the first place would have saved everyone trying to be helpful some trouble here.
I came to this topic because these are old race parts, and the most likely place someone might have what I asked for.

Quote:

Not sure how my intentions of using them effects what I asked for? Unless people are only looking to critique what they think I'm going to use them for. All in all I only asked if people had more knowledge on them. I didn't ask for people's experience using them, or if they are a good rod to run, or what better rods there are out there. I asked if anybody has more knowledge on this particular set because I was curious. Which seemingly turned out too much to ask.

Also not reading all of the posts before formulating an answer is not an excuse. That is just absolute silliness. Why put an answer forth without all the info.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danish1995 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2023, 01:41 PM

The folks who gave you information you didn’t ask for were trying to be helpful.

How about you cut them a little slack here?

Again making it clear they were for display in your first post would have been better for all involved, this is a great forum full of knowledgeable people so let’s encourage discussion rather than chastise those who added information you didn’t ask for.

Old 09-10-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
The folks who gave you information you didn’t ask for were trying to be helpful.

How about you cut them a little slack here?

Again making it clear they were for display in your first post would have been better for all involved, this is a great forum full of knowledgeable people so let’s encourage discussion rather than chastise those who added information you didn’t ask for.
Because if you don't immediately put a disclaimer saying im not going to use them people make assumptions and ignore your initial question. Again silliness putting the blame on me, saying I should've done this. Instead of saying hey guys don't make assumptions, stay on topic and read the whole post!

You can get why I am a little frustrated right?

Old 09-10-2023, 02:26 PM

Looking to identify connecting rods may have others assuming you’re intending to use them.

Not all that hard to understand.

Enjoy hanging them on your garage wall.

This forum is free to join and the information is free as well, so take it for what it’s worth and relax.

Old 09-10-2023, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I came to this topic because these are old race parts, and the most likely place someone might have what I asked for.

Not sure how my intentions of using them effects what I asked for? Unless people are only looking to critique what they think I'm going to use them for. All in all I only asked if people had more knowledge on them. I didn't ask for people's experience using them, or if they are a good rod to run, or what better rods there are out there. I asked if anybody has more knowledge on this particular set because I was curious. Which seemingly turned out too much to ask.

Also not reading all of the posts before formulating an answer is not an excuse. That is just absolute silliness. Why put an answer forth without all the info.
So what it really comes down to is your definition of "more knowledge" was just different than many other peoples. Including me.

Stan

PS

Quote:
Long time lurker here, who finally joined! I recently picked some old MT rods and can't find any info on this particular set. There is no MT part number on them. Only Mickey Thompson and a stamp that reads "3B". I've looked online extensively and can't find anything that matches. Anyone have any info they could share? They are supposedly pontiac but I haven't been able to measure yet. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 09-10-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
So what it really comes down to is your definition of "more knowledge" was just different than many other peoples. Including me.

Stan

PS
More knowledge on this particular model of rods. Not generally the old MT rods. Just this one. No one offered anything that was specific to this model. That is what I asked for. So please stop with the condescension. I feel this thread has run its course. If a mod feels like it I welcome closing it. Nothing fruitful will come of it now.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW..... I enjoyed the picture on the M/T rod and learned about MT part numbers