Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-21-2020, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '76 T/A pulley setup : A/C vs non A/C pulley order

My '76 was an a/c equipped car using the flat single grooved pulley to the balancer( for the a/c), then the double grooved pulley for alt and power steering after that . I'm going non a/c and want to eliminate the single pulley on the crank. If I use the the original water pump pulley I am thinking that ( to keep all the pulleys properly aligned) I will need to use the ring spacer first( that's the one that would normally go on last) to act as a shim to get the double pulley where it needs to be. Of coarse that means that there won't be a ring spacer where it would normally go. Does anybody see anything wrong in my doing this?
Thx, Larry

Old 01-21-2020, 09:12 PM
Senior Chief

Put the one in the back and get another for the front. Make sure you have adaquit thread engagement. Maybe a little blue lock tite

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

V.P. Pioneer Valley GTO Association
www.pvgto.com
67 Lemans 455 best et. 12.023@ 111 mph LVD 9/2008
68 GTO H.O. in progress?
Old 01-22-2020, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The crank pulley on an A/C setup is spaced from the balancer via the A/C pulley. If you don't space it, you will have an alignment issue if you continue to use the A/C water pump and power steering pulley.

The 'ring spacer' is actually a reinforcement plate, and usually goes in front of the pulley, so it doesn't space anything. Not sure if it's the same thickness as a pulley, but if it is, yes, you could use it as a spacer.

The A/C water pump and crank pulleys are desirable, since they drive the water pump faster than the non-A/C pulleys, helping with cooling.

Some aftermarket balancers don't have a beveled edge, and the A/C pulley won't seat right. Something you should also keep an eye out for.

There's no issue with running the A/C balancer pulley aside from that, just don't put a belt on it.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-22-2020, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Began providing an extra round reinforcement ring to mount behind a two groove AC diam crank pulley as part of a version of our 11 bolt timing cover/PS pump bracket changeover which i first began putting together in the early 90's.

Over the last 30 years, most of these 11 bolt PS conversions have been provided with non AC pulleys for '65-68 owners. Beginning in the mid 90's, I began getting more & more requests for the correct AC diam pulleys to be used in a non AC car & in order to help combat overheating while getting the spacing correct. Seems next to no one wants to run a single groove pulley behind their engine's two groove crank pulley when that single groove supplemental pulley isn't needed.