THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-07-2022, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What new air compressor to buy

I bought this pictured compressor new in 2007 for $900, been extremely happy with it.

4 years ago I replaced the 5hp electric motor. today the motor thru sparks and flipped the breaker. its not the capacitor(s) the spark came from internal area.

so this motor (same as compressor came with) did not last long. disappointed.

I'm at that crossroads point where money spent to fix puts me backwards so I am going to buy a whole new compressor.

recommendations of what you have and what to buy is appreciated. I have used this compressor a ton, is 15 years doing good on the lifespan? I'm not in need of an expensive professional one I'm after equivalent to what I had here. sideways pictures again dont know why.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2022, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vertical Ingersoll Rand, Black Friday after Thanksgiving special at Farm/Fleet, Tractor Supply is a very good option. They have several sizes available.

Tim john---

The Following User Says Thank You to Tim john For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2022, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I second the Ingersoll Rand. Got mine from Tractor Supply and the manager met the Lowe's Kobalt price for the same size.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Had the same motor failure on my Eagle brand comp. Electric motor started to smoke while I was grinding stuff on the floor and I did not notice until I stood up,
whole shop was full of smoke, windings burnt up bad, But i bought another motor from Princess Auto, kinda like Habour Freight, but in Canada.
This was probably 8 years ago, so far so good. I see the prices have gone up on that motor now so if another fails I will be in the same airless tank.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I got one of the IR compressors too, one step up from the standard models ... around $1500 I think. Added an after-cooler ... which the compressor seemed to love ... quieted it down considerably, which I can only attribute to the after-cooler decompressing the hot second stage air immediately when it leaves the cylinder. After-cooler fan also blows much needed additional air across the compressor cylinders and factory inter-cooler line. This thing is a rolling clean and dry air factory (I put wheels on it ) Probably another $500 for the modifications, but they can be added over time.

Of course these consumer level compressors don't hold a candle to US made commercial compressors ... but then they cost 70% less. The compressor head on the IR is made in India, not sure about the motor, I think the tank is made in the US.

One piece of advice I will give ... stretch the budget as far as possible and get the best unit you can buy and it may be the last compressor you ever have to buy. This is my third compressor ... if I had gotten a really nice quality unit first, I would still be using it. But then I didn't have the money way back when.

Last edited by dataway; 10-08-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-08-2022, 08:26 AM

Yep, Ingersoll Rand at Tractor Supply. Look for a sale.

Old 10-08-2022, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a "Quincy" compressor, couldn't be happier. I used these compressors in car dealerships for decades. They ran hard for years and years of abuse and rarely had issue with it. Northern tool sells them.

The Following User Says Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like that set up dataway.

I see this new tech beast here. v4, but just has that look of high maintenance.

Old 10-08-2022, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Emax is made in the USA! major point.

gets great reviews. what i'm liking is the quiet power.

I have a 3000si honda generator for rv boondocking and its so quiet it does not bother us at all. or other campers.

having a quiet compressor in the shop would be so nice. if I can get over the price. although they are actually fair priced.

Old 10-08-2022, 02:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not sure if they still make them, but I bought a Sanborn new probably 20 years ago, been trouble free.

Old 10-08-2022, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Sometimes less expensive is better

Thank you for the replys. I made the purchase based on 'em.

tractor supply was the last place I would have went. in fact, I wouldn't have. anyway, went up to tractor supply after also seeing there were EMAX brand on their website and was leaning towards one. sometimes I like pulling the trigger on something new and different and the quiet thing I really liked.

but there were none in store and when I saw the 80 gal ingersoll rand same as what I had and likely better for just $1,299 I couldn't believe it. based on this era and inflation/suppy shortage etc. just 400 bucks more 15 years later. a bargain. I expected the same replacement as my old one would be at least $2,000.

so for due diligence I left and checked northern tool. biggest ingersol rand was the 60 gal single cylinder for $1,599. done at that point!

about the only difference in the one I bought from TS is the pump is a vertical twin pump instead of the v-pump like my old one. so I guess i'll be seeing the difference. I did check online and its half dozen of one six of the other. It does have cooling fins on the tubes I like that. thoughts on the vertical pump?

I expect the same noise level but for the $ I can deal with it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JUDGE3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a "Dayton" branded 2 stage compressor that looks allot like the IR. It has a 2-cyl vertical pump again similar to the IR you pictured. The only difference I see is mine has an oil pump and a spin on oil filter. I have allot of hours on it and it has been fairly quiet and reliable.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just had an Emglo given to me. 60 gallon tank,4 cylinder. All 4 rods are broken long story. Local co saying its rebuildable. The compressor was made in Johnstown pa,tank made in Stoystown Pa(still in business and I can have them ck tank as their tag is on it,). Emglo is now Jenny compressor out of Somerset,Pa. My point American made.

Old 10-10-2022, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bummer but made good on it

well the Engersoll rand experiment went sour. credibility is toast. -just kidding!- I asked for input.

so after hooking up and started it, it would rpm up and down. at first I thought it was a variable speed motor, but it continued doing this until the motor hot button popped. let cool, restarted and it got worse every time until it would run at very low rpm and pop. let cool real well, then barely ran and just quit. bummer. it never tripped my circuit breaker just the overheat button. upon returning it to TS fella said it was the second one. hmmmm. easy return at least.

So its all good though, I ordered the one I really wanted today in the pic. EMAX silent power. get it liftgate delivered oct 13-19. more moola but has a 5 year warranty and the quiet thing was/is very important to me. actually glad this happened, my wife even told me "shoulda got the one you wanted to begin with" lol.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:54 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JUDGE3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks like a real nice compressor, for sure let us know how it works out. I'll bet in the long run you'll be very glad you spent the extra money.

On the IR compressors ... I went to the IR website and did some research before I ordered mine ... there is a pretty big difference between their consumer rated machines as sold at TS and other places and their ... I guess you call them pro-sumer level machines. Subtle difference you wouldn't notice at a glance. But the next tier up from the consumer machines have larger motors, different compressor heads, typically a bit heavier and a bit more expensive. Still short of their full on commercial machines, but better than what you see on display at TS and Home Depot ... they usually have to be specifically ordered. I think the pro-sumer level compressors are called "Type 30".

Last edited by dataway; 10-10-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

likely just luck of the draw. even going the less expensive route I just happened to get the wrong one. happens with everything anymore. doesn't make me think IR is bad etc.

I did plenty of research but it gets to a point I get tired lookin.

I found it interesting the EMAX uses a half the rpm electric motor and a pump with a bigger bore and stroke to get the cfm. 1750 vs the usual 3450. uses 2 belts for less tension on the pullys, big after coolers, so its all about less rpm and cooling for noise reduction. the rear intake box uses baffles and filter material to quiet that down. pressure lube pump.

compressors the life blood of the shop, when its gone i'm pretty much shut down. just when I need it to.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a reconditioned Ingersoll Rand from my neighbor that worked there. 80 gallon 5 horse. Only problem I've had is I had a pressure switch go bad. I love it and paid $600. That has been r years ago and no complaints.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:17 AM

I bought an E-max 3-4 years ago for my auto service, 10hp looks like the one you pictured. This thing is really quiet for its size, my old compressor was outside and the E-max had to come indoors so I was concerned with noise, but it is not an issue.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
likely just luck of the draw. even going the less expensive route I just happened to get the wrong one. happens with everything anymore. doesn't make me think IR is bad etc.

I found it interesting the EMAX uses a half the rpm electric motor and a pump with a bigger bore and stroke to get the cfm. 1750 vs the usual 3450. uses 2 belts for less tension on the pullys, big after coolers, so its all about less rpm and cooling for noise reduction. the rear intake box uses baffles and filter material to quiet that down. pressure lube pump.

compressors the life blood of the shop, when its gone i'm pretty much shut down. just when I need it to.
Compressor RPM is a huge factor ... just a generalization, but typically the slower they turn the better they are, and much quieter. The IR T30 runs at 1750 motor RPM, and about 750 compressor RPM. That EMAX looks about the same ... maybe even slower at the compressor going by the pulleys.

After-coolers are very important, they remove so much of the moisture before it ever gets to the tank, saving your tank, and simplifying air drying after the tank. Add a couple of separators between the after-cooler and the tank and you'll reduce water to the tank by 90%.

More pictures when you get it set up please

Old 12-26-2022, 06:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post

Any update on how your EMAX compressor is doing?