Old 03-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default For Sale, 1977 Can Am

For sale, 77 Can Am. Unrestored, Very good condition, 100K miles, 6.6L (403 Olds).
A/C, P/S, P/B, P/W, Tach, Am/Fm 8 track, New tires, shocks, brakes, Hoses, Radiator.
Good original interior. Arizona Car!, NO RUST!!!, Owned since 1988. Allways garaged.
Asking $7600/OBO
Contact Gary Sundberg, 623-979-4114 garyandmary59@cox.net for more info.

Pictures are here,, http://s857.photobucket.com/albums/a...cpZZ1QQtppZZ16

POCI.org
Old 03-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Price reduced to $6600!!! Fly in & drive it home!!!! I went over today & changed the oil & filter. Put some miles on it just to shake out the cob webs. Entire front end has been rebuilt, new tierod assembly, upper & lower bushings & ball joints, sway bar links & bushings. Car drives very nice. Owner needs to sell! Very motivated!! Owner has some extra parts,, call for more info.

POCI.org
Old 03-29-2012, 01:54 PM

Looks like a really neat car to me, too bad that I'm 2000 miles away on the east coast.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduraLeMans View Post
Looks like a really neat car to me, too bad that I'm 2000 miles away on the east coast.
You pay for the gas & return bus ticket & I'll drive it out to you!!!

POCI.org
Old 03-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Senior Chief

I can´t believe this has not sold yet...

Old 04-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SOLD!!! Car is going to the Netherlands!!!

POCI.org
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good for you. I guess Erik bought your car instead of mine in the end. Im sure it has a good home now. Nice looking car you had there.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep!!,,,I listed it for a good friend thats not very computer literate. Now for him to figure east or west coast shipping.

POCI.org
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Would it be more cost effective to ship it out of Long Beach?

Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Somebody got a great deal on a solid Can Am!

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Too bad I wasn't headed out to Tuscon with the truck, I'd be coming back to Delaware empty. I could bring it back for east coast shipping.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
Would it be more cost effective to ship it out of Long Beach?
.IIRC,,,If it ships out of florida, you cant have any parts spare parts in the car. If shipped out of longbeach, you can toss all the spare parts in the trunk.

POCI.org
Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Senior Chief

Hi Guys,

As much as I liked Don's Can Am with the Pontiac 400 W72, posi and cruise, Gary's is the one I decided to buy.
Even when most guys don't favor the 403 Olds, Pontiac built it this way. This one was originally delivered to Philips Pontiac/Buick/Opel in Laguna Hills CA. Gary bought it in Phoenix back in '88.
I doubt there are many Can Am's left this original and untouched. I'd rather buy an honest original than any "restored" car with all possible kinds of suprises.
So I am really glad I got the chance to buy it. (PY and Keith thanks!)

I've always had a soft spot for Can Am's ever since I first saw one here in Europe (partially disassembled) back in 1992. That car still belongs to a fellow Pontiac enthusiast in Luxembourg and it used to be registered in The Netherlands before he bought it.

So far I haven't finalized the shipping, but I intend to ship it thru Jacksonville FL.
Difference in total shipping costs including trucking between Long Beach and Florida are very small, just a few bucks.
The biggest drawback to Long Beach is the much longer shipping time which could easily absorb 4 to 6 weeks extra.
Only problem with going Roll-On Roll-Off thru Jacksonville is that the car has to be empty. So no spare parts are allowed in the car.

'71 LeMans Woody Wagon 400/350 patina project
1975 Grand Am 400 factory sunroof project car

Last edited by erikgto; 04-12-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

I'm glad you bought this one. What are your plans for the Grand LeMans that you purchased from NY?

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Senior Chief

I'll keep the '77 Grand LeMans until the Can Am gets here.

If there are any trim or chrome pieces which are better on the GLM I'll swap them over to the Can Am.
After that I'll get the GLM ready to sell.

Basically the '77 GLM is a pretty nice solid car. It too was originally delivered to California, in the San Francisco area. It too is Olds powered, with an Olds 350 4bbl. Somehow it wound up in New York state around '99 when the guy I got it from on ebay purchased it.
I did get pretty frustrated with it because the seller told me it was in good running and driving condition and a local show winner.
When it got here it ran on 5 cylinders (bad cap/rotor/plugs), intake leaked, exhaust manifolds and system leaked all over the place and the supposedly rebuilt carb is absolute junk plus the interior was really thrashed, looked like a 300k instead of a 100k car. Dash didn't have one crack like he said; it had several and huge ones at that and they decorated (spray bombed) the entire interior with some ugly cheap blue dye. Even worse; there's evidence that the interior has been flooded for a long time (rust on the seatframe to a certain height and scale rust on the floorpans) wich caused the interior to smell very moldy and it desintegrated the carpet.
The seller also failed to mention a number of exterior damages and other issues until I got the condition report the truckdriver wrote when he picked it up.
I asked the seller about these things and he said it was fine when it left his house. (yea right!) So that's a big lesson learned in ebay car-buying.

So I figured I'd be better off buying the car I really wanted (a real Can Am) as opposed to spending a considerable amount of money just to get this one to an acceptable level.

Last edited by erikgto; 04-12-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikgto View Post
Hi Guys,
..............The biggest drawback to Long Beach is the much longer shipping time which could easily absorb 4 to 6 weeks extra.
Only problem with going Roll-On Roll-Off thru Jacksonville is that the car has to be empty. So no spare parts are allowed in the car.

Hello Erik
I am a Pontiac enthusiast in Australia and I have to tell you that RORO has a terrible reputation here, with many cars being badly damaged. Personally, I'd be paying the extra and waiting the extra time, by using container shipping.

Have a read of this ... http://www.mustang.org.au/forum/view....php?tid=16450

Old 04-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Senior Chief

That is THE worst damage I have ever seen with RORO shipping!

I know a number of people who frequently ship cars and in all those years I've seen more damage on container shipped cars as opposed to RORO shipped cars.
Friend had a '70s full size Chrysler sedan where the container fell off a lift, crane or something and tipped over. The Chrysler had the side wall shape of the container stamped into it's entire RH side.
In another incident one friends '70's Cadillac convertible fell on top of another friends '73 Luxury LeMans because the wooded structure that supported the Caddy failed. The owners didn't know they were cramming more than 2 cars in the container... Both cars were pretty beat up but repairable.
The worst RORO damage I've seen over the years were a number of small schratches and a few small doordings.
As for items being stolen from the vehicle; I had a 2wd Blazer shipped from Sacramento to Long Beach then container shipped here. By the time I got it the entire sounds system, head unit, amps and speaker/sub enclosure were gone. Had a radio stolen from a '77 Chevy truck going RORO.
So it's still a wash, both have possible risks...

Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 PM

As you say Erik, both methods have possible risks I suppose.
RORO has such a bad reputation here that no one who regularly imports cars uses it.
Where I am in Queensland, a lot of clasic car importers use http://www.oneworldautoshippers.com/. The guy that owns it (Norm) uses only kiln dried timber (so no mould), has highly experienced packers, and I've never heard of a car he's shipped having damage.
Unless its a big car like a Cadillac or such, we ship four cars in a 40 foot container.
That way is the most cost effective for us.

Here's a pic of my GTO exiting the container ...

Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 PM

2nd attempt. My previous attempt disappeared ... maybe because I attached pics and don't have a high enough post count?

Anyway, as you say Erik, damage can occur either way. The general RORO experience in OZ has led to it being totally avoided by experienced importers. The smashed 79 Special 10th Anniversary Pontiac Firebird Trans Am in the link was brought in by a private individual.

Cheers mate en veel succes met uw Can-Am

Old 04-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Senior Chief

Cool

Thanks Tambo,

Now if only my '70 GTO convertible looked just half as good as yours........
Hope to get to it's restoration later this year.

erik