Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-13-2023, 11:01 AM
Senior Chief

What is everyone's take on this video and results/documentation from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_qUY4E33r0

Old 05-13-2023, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckies76ta View Post
Ok, I like that idea of moving the coolant above the thermostat.But where is your supply coolant coming from? By pass, heater hose return or both?
The entire OE system is functioning PLUS the addition of 2 -6an constantly pulling from back of engine

some may say -6 is small... its an addition not a main system in fact with this same architecture using say 2 -12an or maybe 2 -10an lines the thermostat might not open to often unless running the engine hard

this is intended for street strip fair weather no heater core, after very stable temps and iam quite sure i will get them

Last edited by Formulas; 12-17-2023 at 10:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulas For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2023, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
The entire OE system is functioning PLUS the addition of 2 -6an constantly pulling from back of engine

some may say -6 is small... its an addition not a main system in fact with this same architecture using say 2 -12an or maybe 2 -10an lines the thermostat might not open to often unless running the engine hard

this is intended for street strip fair weather no heater core, after very stable temps and iam quite sure i will get them
Thats just about my same system, I used 2-10 an, like I said I tired the thermostat deal, tired it with drilling holes. The biggest problem I had was cruising around, and getting stuck in traffic. Thing would go to 220 degrees. It seem ok at first. Tired different thermostats but nothing changed. But once I went to the resticker never had a issue in traffic again. But hey you don’t know until you try it I guess. I also run 15 lb radiator cap. I just think having that Constant circulation from front of the heads as well as coming from the back of the heads makes the difference, I don’t know but thinking coming from the front of the heads and relying on thermostat to open or two small holes might have something to do with it. Not to say running thermostat won’t work for others you never know until you try it.

Old 05-13-2023, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My main concern was the reliability of the thermostat, if your stuck out on a Cruz and it screws up, then what do you do. For me away running the restrictor its not going to happen. The other thought is that thermostat being in there year over year, no telling when or if its going to screw up and not open. Just something to think about we put these cars away year after year then forget about thermostats because last time we took it out every was fine.

Old 05-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
thermostats have been in billions of cars since when??? and your scared !!
Sure they have, but whats the quality of the ones available lately. Not saying their all bad quality wise, but only what’s available local parts stores. I’m not telling anyone not to run one. Just piece of mine for me not having to run one.

Speaking of dreams I had this real weird dream the other night, I dreamt I swallowed a 2 pound marshmallow, when I woke up my pillow was gone.