Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-31-2023, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the ones that I got for the road race engine, that Mike inspected and installed, as-is.

https://butlerperformance.com/i-3164...tegory:1459647

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 01:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yep, you got the Power Adder rod, a lot of rod for the money. Those are the same series we bought for a 1800hp Procharger engine(due to the Power Adder "Plus" not being offered for the Small Block Chevy), except ours are 6.125". It can be a bit confusing because Molnar rods are offered in 3 different designs for most applications.... First, the "Standard" series, which are a standard weight rod, then the "PWR ADR" Series, which are built a bit beefier and heavier for big Turbo/ Blower/Nitrous applications, and then the "PWR ADR PLUS" series, which are the Extreme Duty rod, built even beefier, and are a heavy weight rod. They are for huge boost application running 40+ lbs or multiple stages of nitrous. All of his rods are machined 4340 Billet however..... and all come with Toms special ARP 2000 bolts that feature Assymetrical threads...

Old 03-31-2023, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
R 70 Judge.....I looked for a 4" stroke crank on the Molnar site and did not see one....
They are making a run in 3” mains referenced in the other post.

I contacted them requesting a run of 3.25” mains 4” stroke cranks, as my IA2 is an oddball large main unit. I provided a deposit. I called them last month to check in and he told me they would be ready around August 2023.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...highlight=3.25

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 03-31-2023, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is little confusing I just talked to him wanted get it from houses mouth. The Pontiac rod is NOT ! Power adder rod. That’s exactly what he told me. For $747.00. One would have to go BBC rod which is 6635. vs Pontiac which is 6625. All their rods small end are bushed, for 990 pin. The BBC power adder rod is $868.00 bucks. The one that’s $1118.00 is super power adder rod for boost motors.

So now the motor I’m putting together for a customer/friend the pistons have .9270 pin, which would require them to change the bushin, to fit .9270 pin, that’s an additional $200.00 so now your talking 1068.00 to get their power adder rod, but here’s the problem that rod is .010 longer then Pontiac rod, meaning the piston will be sticking out of the hole. .010. the block has already been squared and Sonic tested. I would never cut the tops of a piston to make up the .010 longer rod.

Last edited by Gach; 03-31-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 01:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
This is little confusing I just talked to him wanted get it from houses mouth. The Pontiac rod is NOT ! Power adder rod. That’s exactly what he told me. For $747.00. One would have to go BBC rod which is 6635. vs Pontiac which is 6625. All their rods small end are bushed, for 990 pin. The BBC power adder rod is $868.00 bucks. The one that’s $1118.00 is super power adder rod for boost motors.

So now the motor I’m putting together for a customer/friend the pistons have .9270 pin, which would require them to change the bushin, to fit .9270 pin, that’s an additional $200.00 so now your talking 1068.00 to get their power adder rod, but here’s the problem that rod is .010 longer then Pontiac rod, meaning the piston will be sticking out of the hole. .010. Buy the block has already been squared and Sonic tested. I would never cut the tops of a piston to make up the .010 longer rod.
That is correct, he does not offer a standard 6.625" Pontiac rod in any of the Power Adder series, just the standard series, which are still excellent for the money. Sounds like other options may be better for the particular combination that you are currently building

Old 03-31-2023, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

So now the motor I’m putting together for a customer/friend the pistons have .9270 pin, which would require them to change the bushin, to fit .9270 pin, that’s an additional $200.00 so now your talking 1068.00 to get their power adder rod, but here’s the problem that rod is .010 longer then Pontiac rod, meaning the piston will be sticking out of the hole. .010. Buy the block has already been squared and Sonic tested. I would never cut the tops of a piston to make up the .010 longer rod.
I talked to Tom at PRI and can tell you from experience that he does not refer to the rods that I bought from Butler as Pontiac rods. If you start the conversation mentioning "Pontiac rods", the conversation will be temporarily derailed.

Eric

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following User Says Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 01:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
I talked to Tom at PRI and can tell you from experience that he does not refer to the rods that I bought from Butler as Pontiac rods. If you start the conversation mentioning "Pontiac rods", the conversation will be temporarily derailed.

Eric
That is because the rods that you are using are not truly Pontiac rods, they are the common BBC rod that are used when running the aftermarket Pontiac crankshafts that use the 2.20" rod journal, instead of a stock Pontiac rod journal, and the aftermarket pistons that are used in the stroker Pontiacs that use those crankshafts, typically always have a .990" pin, so the 6.700"/6.800" BBC rod variety work perfectly

Old 03-31-2023, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The BME rod is 6625 length and has 927 pin. My cost is $1400.00 so $332.00 more then Molnar power adder rod. For this build I’d prefer the BME which is much lighter rod. May be in the future I’ll look at the Molnar power adder rod.

Old 03-31-2023, 01:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
The BME rod is 6625 length and has 927 pin. My cost is $1400.00 so $332.00 more then Molnar power adder rod. For this build I’d prefer the BME which is much lighter rod. May be in the future I’ll look at the Molnar power adder rod.
Thats is probably what I would do for the build you are currently working on, sounds like the better route. Aluminum rods are easier to get in whatever dimensions you need, usually without a problem

Old 03-31-2023, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Eric
Yes I gather that from our Conversation, the minute I said Pontiac rods the bushin Conversation started. Didn’t know Butler also sells them I guess would have to change over to 6.800 rod length. I see Butler sells them for $750.00 sounds like a good deal. Have a friend who’s a a Molnar dealer like (Butler) he puts $200.00 in his pocket for every set he sells. So I’m wondering at $550.00 how much does it cost Molnar to produce them maybe $250 maybe 350.00.

So I could get a set of the BBC power adder rods for $550. If I change over to 6.80 rod length. When getting pistons change pin hight. Pass on the $200.00 bucks. Saving. Be a good street rod.

Old 03-31-2023, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You just can't go wrong with a BME aluminum rod. We have a 25 year + relationship with Bill. Another straight shooter and a big help to us with the two Beswick tribute cars we ran. He never talked down to us and treated us like we were idiots when we told him we were going to run blown nitro in a traditional Pontiac. He actually convinced us to start at 90% because he said starting small and building up to 90%, we would run out of $$ long before we reached our goal and potential. He said tune-up was so different at every 5% of nitro we would always be starting over. That type of insight and experience is almost priceless.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

None of this is confusing in the slightest. Purposeful confusion being brought here maybe.

The standard BBC Molnar rod is 727$ The Pontiac rod, same type of rod is 747 $ This is the rod on a 1600HO Mopar engine running fine.

Now the "Power Adder" is 789$ and has been around a long time. The vast majority of folks running PA rods run this rod. Used for boosted type engines or just by someone that wants a beefy rod. Lots of folks using this rod in 1500- 2000 HP builds.

Then you have the Power Adder+" rod. Its Toms newest rod and is designed for guys making north of 2000HP. Twin turbo. 2 400 kits on big aftermarket blocks. This rod is the 1118$ rod .

None of these rods have been broken yet due to the rod. All 3.

Confusion over.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
None of this is confusing in the slightest. Purposeful confusion being brought here maybe.

The standard BBC Molnar rod is 727$ The Pontiac rod, same type of rod is 747 $ This is the rod on a 1600HO Mopar engine running fine.

Now the "Power Adder" is 789$ and has been around a long time. The vast majority of folks running PA rods run this rod. Used for boosted type engines or just by someone that wants a beefy rod. Lots of folks using this rod in 1500- 2000 HP builds.

Then you have the Power Adder+" rod. Its Toms newest rod and is designed for guys making north of 2000HP. Twin turbo. 2 400 kits on big aftermarket blocks. This rod is the 1118$ rod .

None of these rods have been broken yet due to the rod. All 3.

Confusion over.
Your they one who makes it confusing, very reason why I called and talk to Tom personally. So who am I going to listen to, him or you, dude definitely not you I can tell you not even close to the way you just explained it. I’m sorry if I rub you the wrong way and you need to be the messenger. I’m not gonna elaborate on exactly what he told me because with you it’s a waste of time.

Last edited by Gach; 03-31-2023 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
You just can't go wrong with a BME aluminum rod. We have a 25 year + relationship with Bill. Another straight shooter and a big help to us with the two Beswick tribute cars we ran. He never talked down to us and treated us like we were idiots when we told him we were going to run blown nitro in a traditional Pontiac. He actually convinced us to start at 90% because he said starting small and building up to 90%, we would run out of $$ long before we reached our goal and potential. He said tune-up was so different at every 5% of nitro we would always be starting over. That type of insight and experience is almost priceless.
Exactly one of best guys to deal with, this is just me i’d rather pay the extra bucks and have security. Been using his rods for over 20 years. I’m not saying I wouldn’t use a Molnar rods in a 500 hp street motor if a guy is on a tight budget. Already have a couple of those out there.

Last edited by Gach; 03-31-2023 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Exactly one of best guys to deal with, this is just me i’d rather pay the extra bucks and have security. Been using his rods for over 20 years. I’m not saying I wouldn’t use a Molnar rods in a 500 hp street motor if a guy is on a tight budget. Already have a couple of those out there.
Gach, I understand what you are saying about this particular combination that you are working on .... BME rods definitley have a great reputation and have proven themselves for sure, but I don't really agree that the Molnar rods are for street engines on a budget. Tom is a very sharp individual that has been designing rods for near 40 years. His Billet 4340 rods are an excellent rod in anything from the Standard series in a street engine(even a big power street engine), all the way to 2500+hp Power Adder combinations using his Power Adder Plus series. Lots of people making huge power with his Power Adder and Power Adder Plus series that have proven they are excellent rods without failure. As Mgarblik said earlier, the machining of the rods are usually spot on. Most of rod failures are do to poor machining/and or bad tuneups. I will say though, at 2500+hp I would probably be looking at a set of MGP Aluminum personally.

Old 03-31-2023, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shameless plug for BME....his aluminum rods (the "426" model) are the ONLY connecting rod that has ever been over 250 mph in a true Pontiac engine.

Eric

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was very impressed with Tom, went into the hole explanation on why rods break in half. I mean I know but it was good hearing it. Also why he offers the Surper power adder rod mostly for high boost Applications the whole thing on why the bush the pin.

Ok so when we got talking about the Pontiac rod and him saying it’s not a power adder rod, in other words it doesn’t have the strengths of the power adder rods. But that’s stock Pontiac rod dimensions 6625 length and not the 6.80 length. And stock Pontiac rod journals not the BBC 2.200 size. But that’s the rod I am referring to when I said I wouldn’t hesitate in using them in a 500 hp street motor. But his power adder actually BBC rod I would hesitate using them in high hp Application. They are definitely a stronger rod made for that and I understand that but a certain person kept quoting as Pontiac rod. It’s actually BBC rod. I think you get it.

Old 03-31-2023, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Given me much to think about when selecting rods for my 428. Thought my choices were limited to Scat and Eagle which makes me nervous from things I've heard from lacal Chevy guys. Having to have Eagle rods re-machined by local machinist to get them right costs more than a Molnar set. Hmmm.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1968GTO421 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Shameless plug for BME....his aluminum rods (the "426" model) are the ONLY connecting rod that has ever been over 250 mph in a true Pontiac engine.

Eric
Exactly why I prefer them.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks R 70 Judge ...I had not seen that thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtospieg For This Useful Post: