Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-06-2023, 02:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Cold case

Cold Case in my Firebird has been excellent.
AC pulleys to overdrive water pump and fan.
Should is key player here. Still have original on mine.
Standard fan clutch with 7 blade AC fan from 76 TA.
I have to be on highway to hit 170!!
Most of the time it’s 165-168, even when it 90+
NOS AC Delco thermostat 170.(cracks open at 165ish)
Had a cheaper two aluminum eBay unit before and
It did not cool as good as cold case.
That’s why I did every mod possible because I thought,
The old two row aluminum rad was not the issue.
It was two rows of one inch tubes.

Sadly it was and when it began leaking I replaced
With the CC.
Stop at a store it heat soaks up to 185-190. And drops
Back like a rocket to 170 before I leave the parking lot.
Gerry.

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds

Last edited by 68 Firebird; 09-06-2023 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree, I have no issue at all with Cold Case radiators. Good quality, fair pricing, and they work. I'm using them in 4 cars and they work, fit and function just as well as the expensive Griffins I run in the other cars.

It's the electric fan setup that stifles the radiators cooling ability, and there are dozens of other radiator vendors that sell those electric fan setups designed the same way.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 09-06-2023, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is Rodney Red still around?

Old 09-06-2023, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered this from Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-384000

It took some minor trimming but fit in the stock 71 shroud just fine. Still using clutch-type fan.

Old 09-06-2023, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
If you have a parallel flow radiator with dimensions similar to 2nd gen 'Birds, the Flex-A-Lite #295 is a good electric fan option. I've heard nothing but good reviews on it. Flows at 4600 CFM, has conical design integrated into the shroud which favors travel of air through through the shroud (air hates sharp corners or flat areas, just like water - that's why the CC fan shroud is garbage), and rubber flaps that are forced open at highway speeds to further aid in heat dissipation. And for 2nd gen 'Bird radiators, it fits pretty much perfectly on the core. The fans suck around 50-60 amps each, though, so to get full power out of them you'll need to upgrade your alternator and definitely install a controller. It's reportedly loud as hell, but then performance, period, is loud so you know lol

Here's the fan installed on a G-Body radiator, which has similar dimensions to 2nd-gen Bird and 2nd-gen GTO radiators:

Perfect core coverage, not to mention the fan comes with an integrated seal around the fan so that there's nowhere for air to escape except where it's designed to.
That top clip holding the radiator, where did you get it ?

Old 09-06-2023, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Like I mentioned, to mount the radiator without the shroud, the best solution I've found is the upper core support plates that are used on Camaros, Chevelles, Novas etc..... They come in different widths.

That's how I did dad's GTO back when he was experimenting with electric fans. His radiator is also encased in the factory shroud and used to hold the radiator by bolting to the upper core support. With that gone, it was just as simple as bolting a Chevelle upper radiator support to his existing core support holes and it holds the top of the radiator as designed, and looks stock. Very easy to do. I didn't have to drill anything. In fact when he decided to go back to his clutch fan and stock shroud, it was as simple as removing that top Chevelle plate, sticking the radiator back into the factory shroud and bolting it down. Literally a 10 minute process.
Is this the core support you are talking about ?
The radiator is going on with stock shroud at first. I can't put any electric fan until I figure out how to hold the radiator.
The radiator I have looks to be made by the same people who make Cold Case. Looks well made.
Its 70 deg on a warm day where I live and it won't be street driven. If I can find a way to set the electric fan shroud I do have back 1/2"-3"4" it should help.
I will try that before getting the Flex A Light 460$ fans.
I might not have much of a problem since I live where its cool and I drag race it.

https://www.amazon.com/RADIATOR-SUPP...omotive&sr=1-3

Old 09-06-2023, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Is this the core support you are talking about ?
The radiator is going on with stock shroud at first. I can't put any electric fan until I figure out how to hold the radiator.
The radiator I have looks to be made by the same people who make Cold Case. Looks well made.
Its 70 deg on a warm day where I live and it won't be street driven. If I can find a way to set the electric fan shroud I do have back 1/2"-3"4" it should help.
I will try that before getting the Flex A Light 460$ fans.
I might not have much of a problem since I live where its cool and I drag race it.

https://www.amazon.com/RADIATOR-SUPP...omotive&sr=1-3
Yes I used one of those.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 09-06-2023, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If this is track only then I see electric fan is the best option.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
That top clip holding the radiator, where did you get it ?
If you have a 70-81 F body, Restore-A-Musclecar makes one for about $125. I could not find another one that would fit.