Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-07-2023, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like Molnar offers three different grades of rods. At least from what he explained to me. The standard Pontiac rods which aren’t power adder rods, the power adder rods which are stronger the Surper Power adder rod the strongest of all.

Old 04-07-2023, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All the bolts are the same. Tom called the 750$ bolts you can not touch with your hand snake oil.
I know the bolts for the standard Molnar rods and Power Addrer rods are the same bolt. So I assume the + rods are too but they were in development last I talked to Tom.
But if none of the 3 have ever been broken due to the rod itself failing what does it matter to Pontiac folk ? The big power guys all run a BBC rod anyway and you can get them in standard, PA and PA+
The Pontiac rod is a standard series rod. Just like the 6.8 BBC standard rods I have that have taken 1600 HP. The PMD rods do weigh a bit more than a 6.635 BBC rod.
So I am pretty safe to assume the standard Molnar rod can not be broken in a PMD block, Pontiac rod or a BBC rod.

But the big power aftermarket guys......... Langer to told me in a post that he would not run a steel rod past 800 HP. Reason, detonation.
I believe the thinking on that has changed towards steel lately but what Langer says about this stuff always sticks in my mind.
Make sure you avoid detonation !

Old 04-07-2023, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Wow that's amazing.... Makes one think anyone using Molnar rods would be using a Molnar crankshaft..... Are you using a Molnar crankshaft?
I do, and have, used Molnar rods and cranks in most of the builds I do for customers. As several have mentioned previously, the rods and cranks are dead on spec wise. I pay a little more up front compared to the Eagle and Scat offerings but more often than not I have to have those rods resized, especially with Eagles. The only issue I've run into with the Molnars is the availability of the standard length Pontiac rods, which is sometimes iffy.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2023, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
I do, and have, used Molnar rods and cranks in most of the builds I do for customers. As several have mentioned previously, the rods and cranks are dead on spec wise. I pay a little more up front compared to the Eagle and Scat offerings but more often than not I have to have those rods resized, especially with Eagles. The only issue I've run into with the Molnars is the availability of the standard length Pontiac rods, which is sometimes iffy.
How much horsepower you put to a Molnar crank so far?

The Following User Says Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
How much horsepower you put to a Molnar crank so far?
So far, the maximum has been a 875 Hp pump gas engine. I'm currently building an all aluminum engine that has dual Torquestorms on it that should hit 1100 HP. Using Molnar crank and power adder rods

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 02:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

875 HP Pontiac pump gas engine, cool !
Can you tell us about the build ?

Old 04-08-2023, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
875 HP Pontiac pump gas engine, cool !
Can you tell us about the build ?
KRE MR1A block, 535", 4.5 crank", 11.4:1 compression ratio, KRE HP heads ported by Dave Wilcox, intake was a, I believe, BBC tunnel ram that was modified by Dave Wilcox to fit the heads, solid roller cam with specs I can't remember. I put a Luhn pump in it, trick crank scrapper, etc.. It's been together about 4 years now.

Old 04-08-2023, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just curious have any dyno sheets ?

Old 04-08-2023, 04:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Just curious have any dyno sheets ?
No, I give all the dyno sheets to the customer's who own the engines.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How do you fit a BBC intake on Pontiac head, that a hell of allot of Modifying. I suppose it could be done.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
KRE MR1A block, 535", 4.5 crank", 11.4:1 compression ratio, KRE HP heads ported by Dave Wilcox, intake was a, I believe, BBC tunnel ram that was modified by Dave Wilcox to fit the heads, solid roller cam with specs I can't remember. I put a Luhn pump in it, trick crank scrapper, etc.. It's been together about 4 years now.
Gary,
It would be interesting to know how many of those he has actually done. If I am not mistake he has offered that for a good number of years.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 04-08-2023, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Gary,
It would be interesting to know how many of those he has actually done. If I am not mistake he has offered that for a good number of years.

Stan
Stan, yes, I've seen that it has been offered for a while. I really don't know what all is involved. The customer I built the engine for had the heads and intake work done and then gave them to me. I just built the engine from there. Bolted right on with no issues, and actually wound up performing better than I thought it would.

Old 04-08-2023, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
How do you fit a BBC intake on Pontiac head, that a hell of allot of Modifying. I suppose it could be done.

Link to H&M Airflow ( Dave Wilcox ) site, BBC tunnel ram to Pontiac heads:

https://headsandmanifolds.wordpress....d-for-pontiac/

Although Dave seems to have dropped out of the head and manifold business, his website is still up.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OOOOH, I’m very well aware I Dave Wilcox !!!

Old 04-08-2023, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sweet. Thats the engine with the duel I-J crank scrapper you mentioned ?
I have one, fitting it took awhile but its a nice piece. 3 % more HP vs 1 % its worth it. Also have my own version of the Luhn pump. They helped me out with it. A lot of work, easier to just buy it. I dimpled all my gears and have the giant pickup.
Wilcox did do a little work on the Victor I have for my High Ports.
I am right at 11.5 CR too.
I have some Schoenfeld merge collectors on the way to go with my Mad Dog headers. Sending them all out to Caps Coating to get CERMAKROME insude and out after I weld in O2 bungs.
Just blabbing about mu own engine, getting exited. Been a couple years foe me.