Old 06-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Senior Chief

Default 1972 LeMans in my future

My buddy works at a GM dealership. In the 90s, the original owner traded this car in and my buddy bought it. I've always like it and he decided to sell it to me last week. I'll be flying to North Carolina and driving it back to L.A.

Sexy in green, eh? Now I just have to liven up that 350.

Old 06-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice one!

How many miles did she have?

These unmolested cars are getting real hard to find...true unmolested.

I am in Raleigh along with other members so if you need any help...just ask.
Others all around NC on here.

Jeff

Old 06-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Senior Chief

Ditto. Whew! That's a heck of a drive. What part of NC you chiming into? Nice 72!

John.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Senior Chief

Nice! Welcome to the forum... and kudos for adding pics to your first post (we usually have to ask for them).

Good luck and happy driving on your long trip home.

Scott

'70 Lemans Sport - Upgrades: HEI, console, dual-gate shifter, tilt steering, formula wheel, dual exhaust, dash clock, stock 4v intake, Q-jet, dual snorkel air cleaner, GTO hood, hood tach, GTO spoiler, chrome Rally II's and sport stripe.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 06-27-2010, 02:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great looking car. Glad you got it. Tell us more.

Welcome to the Forum. No questions too basic. Do a search first and you may be surprised what you will find.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:04 AM
Senior Chief

It has approximately 94k miles. My buddy is a good painter and we're going to repair/spot the rusty places over the weekend. The car was painted once, about 15years ago (guessing), and he has the original paperwork that shows it was ordered with the GTO front end and stripes.

My plan it to put in a bigger engine but keep it looking stock (except for headers). I actually prefer the fact that its a LeMans with endura option verses a real GTO. I WILL drive it.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:08 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal70lemans View Post
Nice! Welcome to the forum... and kudos for adding pics to your first post (we usually have to ask for them).

Good luck and happy driving on your long trip home.

Scott
I love that color green... He bought it with beauty rings but thiks it wasn't supposed to have them, for some reason. Is it personal preference?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Senior Chief

I left out a picture... No greenies can claim I'm NOT green when they look at my green/woody interior!

Old 06-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome to the forum and to the '72 club!
This forum has a wealth of knowledge to utilize and the host is my #1 source for Pontiac parts.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Joe

Old 06-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome & nice score.

That'll be a nice first drive.

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 06-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwing View Post
It has approximately 94k miles. My buddy is a good painter and we're going to repair/spot the rusty places over the weekend. The car was painted once, about 15years ago (guessing), and he has the original paperwork that shows it was ordered with the GTO front end and stripes.

My plan it to put in a bigger engine but keep it looking stock (except for headers). I actually prefer the fact that its a LeMans with endura option verses a real GTO. I WILL drive it.
Don't wanna be a buzz-kill on your plans, but... what kind of maintenance has the previous owner done (before you start your loooong drive home)?

I feel the same way about mine - you can change/upgrade anything you want on these cars (Lemans vs GTO) and you won't hurt the value in any way. Mine still has the original 350/TH350/2:56 peg leg in it (upgraded with HEI and last summer switched to a stock 4v intake with a rebuilt Q-jet) that just rolled over 90K last weekend... still slooooow, but a GREAT highway cruiser (80mph @ 2500rpm). The only changes that will get a "grumpy" reaction will be a GTO clone or swapping to a non-Pontiac engine (which I agree with - keep it a Lemans and Pontiac powered).

Quote:
I love that color green... He bought it with beauty rings but thiks it wasn't supposed to have them, for some reason. Is it personal preference?
Mine is Verdoro green (not sure what green colors were available in '72 or what they were called) with black interior (originally a column shift with bucket seats car, but I did the console/tilt steering swap first thing after I bought it - more comfortable for me to drive and looks better, too).

From what I understand the '69/'70 GTO Judge was the only A-body car with RII's that originally came without beauty rings - they look better without them IMO. My chrome RII's are from Specialty Wheels (15x7 front - 15x8 rear) that I just put on this year.

Quote:
I left out a picture... No greenies can claim I'm NOT green when they look at my green/woody interior!

Nice interior... and with A/C, too.

'70 Lemans Sport - Upgrades: HEI, console, dual-gate shifter, tilt steering, formula wheel, dual exhaust, dash clock, stock 4v intake, Q-jet, dual snorkel air cleaner, GTO hood, hood tach, GTO spoiler, chrome Rally II's and sport stripe.

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 06-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wow.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice buy, I too am wondering what part of North Carolina are you flying into as I'm about 45 minutes north of Charlotte. I too am fond of the 71-72 A-bodies as I have a 71 that I've had since 86 and have a close friend that is rebuilding a 72 GTO that he has had for over 22 years. There is a wealth of information here so I also welcome you to the board.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks like '72 Wilderness Green. Nice score with the T-41 and factory A/C.

1971 GT-37 - 350/M38, Rosewood Metallic/Black
www.GT-37.org
Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Senior Chief

Western N.C. I'll fly into Atlanta and spend a couple days with my dad/friends before heading out.

The transmission, tires, brakes, heater core were replaced last year and it should be good to go. I haven't seen the option sheet and my buddy couldn't remember what T-number it had off the top of his head.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That car is pretty nice.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Senior Chief

Are they straps on the dash above the glove box? I've never seen something like that before.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Neat first post - welcome to the boards and good luck with your big adventure. Be sure and get some good photos of the car at various landmarks as you make your cross country run. Post those up when you get back so we can all enjoy the journey as well. These cars are great road trip cars! I drove mine from Atlanta to Dayton for the nationals last year. Another member, Steve Barcak, has driven his 72 WW5 GTO all over creation and back towing a trailer most of the way - That is a great thread to read before you make your trip - hopefully HFR will post a link to it - he's our resident "Librarian".

BJ

Old 06-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Neat first post - welcome to the boards and good luck with your big adventure. Be sure and get some good photos of the car at various landmarks as you make your cross country run. Post those up when you get back so we can all enjoy the journey as well. These cars are great road trip cars! I drove mine from Atlanta to Dayton for the nationals last year. Another member, Steve Barcak, has driven his 72 WW5 GTO all over creation and back towing a trailer most of the way - That is a great thread to read before you make your trip - hopefully HFR will post a link to it - he's our resident "Librarian".

BJ
X2 (love reading about that kind of thing)... maybe check to see if your car is running the original timing gear before you hit the road, too.

Scott

'09 Yamaha Vmax

'94 GMC Sierra GT
Old 06-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like it.

Shouldn`t be too much of a problem to liven up that 350.