Old 02-01-2018, 08:39 AM
Senior Chief

Default source for 64 dash metallic blue/grey help please

Would anyone have a good paint code or source for the mysterious metallic blue/grey color for 64 dash and console parts? I tried the parts place paint and it is way too blue. Hoping for a rattle can but wouldn't have to be.

Thank you!
Paul

Old 02-01-2018, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm with you. I bought a can from Parts Place. Didn't look correct to me either.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:12 AM
Senior Chief

Exclamation

This subject has been covered in previous threads----Good Luck !

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746508&highlight=64+gto+console+p aint

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=console+paint

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=802250

Old 02-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a local automotive paint shop color match the Blue on the Dash Bezel before I stripped it.

I just got the dash bezel back and it looks great. I haven't had a chance to compare the bezel to the Heater Control or Console yet (both with original paint so far.

My initial impression is that the color matched Blue is a bit lighter than the original color before I stripped it. But I still think it looks very good. "Chroming" and paint work was done by Vacuum Orna-Metal, I supplied the Blue paint, they sprayed it.

Here is a before pic and a pic of the refinished bezel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6420.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	474285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Refinished Dash Bezel.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	474286  

Old 02-01-2018, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pic of Refinished Bezel looked dark so I took another pic with flash.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Refinished Dash Bezel with flash.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	474287  

Old 02-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi John.. I guess I will ask... Are you not using the gun swirl insert around your dash pods, or am I getting forgetful?????? "Bill"!

Old 02-01-2018, 07:46 PM
Senior Chief

John V.
I don’t think this color stuff will ever be truly resolved. A lot of good info though in those links, including some that you posted.

Some pics attached just for FYI. Pic 1 shows a NOS “take off” (left) next to a restored control that I bought from Gary’s GTO Goodies some time back. Not sure how long the NOS was exposed to the light but you can see it is more gray than the resto. When I talked to Gary about the resto he stated that a lot of trial and error was spent matching up the color and that computer matching didn’t work. Pic 2 is a true NOS on E-Bay ages ago—greenish, greenish/gray, greenish blue?????? And Pic 3 is for reference.

Pic 4 shows my NOS 64 console plate. Again not sure of the “exposure” history but you can that it has a strong gray tint. Pic 5 is not the best but the color on the NOS HVAC matches the console plate color.

As Pete Serio stated this paint was prone to fading. The original in my 64 was down to a washed out silver color. I have three dash bezels. The ribs that were covered with the insert were more of darker color than the one that wasn’t. Pete sent me a formula for the paint he uses but I haven’t had it mixed yet.

As for the actual paint code here’s my thought—and that’s all it is- all these parts are die cast and made by a third party. Pontiac said this is the color we want and the vendor made up the paint and painted them. When replacement parts were purchased they came already painted (such as my console plate) and therefore the paint and/or paint code was not available for field refinishing OR if this was an existing interior color again the part came prepainted so no need to list the paint/code used.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	474291   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	474292   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	474293   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	474294   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	474295  

Old 02-01-2018, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And I did not read the old posts, but don't forget, the long thin rectangle above the bezel guage pods is that same blue-gray-green color...... "Bill"!

Old 02-01-2018, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill, yes, definitely using the Insert, just haven't installed it yet. I plan to use a less "permanent" adhesive to hold it in place in case I ever have to remove it again. It was a high stress project to remove it the first time although in the end, Goo Gone pretty easily dissolved the original adhesive. My before pic shows the bezel after I cleaned the adhesive off. If I knew how the GOO Gone dissolved the adhesive, I think I would have had a much easier time removing the Insert.

The reason I wanted the color matched paint was so I could duplicate that rectangle above the gauge pods.

When I removed the Insert I discovered why that rectangle is Blue. It is "connected" to the ribbed area on the Bezel face around the gauge pods.

On a non-GTO, it becomes apparent why the rectangle above the pods is Blue regardless of the interior color. The original Blue also was on the outside of the gauge pod "rings" and also around the outside of the rectangular heater control opening so I made sure to have that sprayed with the Blue also.

I went thru all the links. I have to admit, I had completely forgotten not only those previous threads but also my own thoughts about the code.

I did NOT use a lacquer, it is acrylic enamel. When I showed the paint guy my original dash bezel, he immediately commented that the Blue had "some metallic" in it. That surprised me because I didn't think that was so obvious. But I'm no paint expert.

The Base is PPG Shop-Line JE#1 acrylic enamel.

Anyway, here is the formula he gave me for reordering:

J43-31.0
J72-64.0
J42-16.0
J55-1.5
J83-3.5
J86-22.0
J93-60.0
J82-60.0

None of these nos. means anything to me and I have no idea if any of these nos. indicates metallic was added to the mix.

I'll post again after I compare the Bezel to my Heater Control and Console Top which I intend to refinish with this paint too.

I have no idea to what degree the Blue on my dash faded or changed color, certainly the ribbed area was not exposed to sunlight and the rectangle above the pods would have generally been pretty shaded too. But I suspect they would have been subjected to heat before the car went into my garage 25+ years ago.

I read about the use of Stealth Gray but I wasn't sure that appears Blue. There is no question that my Bezel appeared Blue before I stripped it. It will be interesting for me to compare the refinished Bezel Blue to the Heater Control and Console top. In my mind, the refinished Blue is a bit brighter blue but we shall see. Either way, I am very happy with how the Bezel turned out. Props to Vacuum Orna-Metal.

I'll agree that there isn't a definitive answer. Perhaps even if the code was known, not sure a modern paint would result in a true match. But as long as it looks "right", not sure it needs to be nit-picked. That's my take!

Old 02-02-2018, 09:09 AM

I tried to get as close as possible to the original color on mine, I had an original heater control that just had a little chipping in it for reference. I used a ford paint color from a 2012 Fusion, Steel Blue Metallic code NU.
It’s probably just a bit too blue but very close, readily available and affordable. Just throwing it out there as an option. Both my console and heater control turned out great, of course as soon as I finished the delicate process of painting the heater control I found an NOS one

Old 02-02-2018, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have always favored picture 2, the true NOS piece. I also had a nos piece that was that color. It seems so close to the color of the gauges background, that I wondered if that wasn't the intent. Common sense indicates that introducing a color that is close to that color but not quite, just doesn't make sense.
But on the other hand, gauges never fade to the greyish color, but that may be because they are painted stamped steel, while the other pieces are porous pot metal.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:37 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hardtop View Post
I tried to get as close as possible to the original color on mine, I had an original heater control that just had a little chipping in it for reference. I used a ford paint color from a 2012 Fusion, Steel Blue Metallic code NU.
It’s probably just a bit too blue but very close, readily available and affordable. Just throwing it out there as an option. Both my console and heater control turned out great, of course as soon as I finished the delicate process of painting the heater control I found an NOS one
I did a quick Ebay check for that paint 2012 ford blue metallic code UN is what they called it. I'm assuming its the same thing. its about $30 a can. Would you be able to post a picture just to get a feel for how close it looks?

Thank you!

Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 PM

PM sent

Old 04-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got to look at my resprayed Heater Control Panel and the Console Top pieces today.

Suffice to say, the mix formula color that I showed in Post #9 did not look right at all.

My guy had a Duplicolor color on the shelf that he used to spray behind the clear Fan Switch lens and it looks a lot closer in my eye to what the color should be.

So I made the decision to go with it.

Just wanted everybody to know in case anybody ever decided to duplicate the mix formula I posted.

Old 04-06-2018, 07:12 AM
Senior Chief

John
would you be able to share the duplicolor code or color name?

Thank you!

Old 04-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is a Ford color!

Dupli-Color Perfect Match Medium Wedgewood Metallic #BFM0355

Available on line at lots of places, this link just for reference:

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-B.../dp/B00407V4ZO

Until I see it sprayed out on the larger surfaces, I'm not sure how I'll react to it. But I think I've run out of patience so unless it looks awful, I'm sticking with it.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron cozzo View Post
Tiemann's paint shop will mix up two large spray bombs for about $80. They call it dash dial blue. Dead nuts color match in lacquer. I posted the contact info before, use search, or call Tiemann.
It would seem to me that if 2 like minded individuals both wanted the exact paint from Tienmann a deal between those individuals could be worked out to split the cost and make it more affordable for both parties. I for one would be interested in striking such a deal. I would be willing to take the lead and buy the paint and then sell it to the second individual. Second individual would be responsible for their shipping. If anyone is interested, just PM me.
Tony

Old 04-10-2018, 04:47 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
It is a Ford color!

Dupli-Color Perfect Match Medium Wedgewood Metallic #BFM0355

Available on line at lots of places, this link just for reference:

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-B.../dp/B00407V4ZO

Until I see it sprayed out on the larger surfaces, I'm not sure how I'll react to it. But I think I've run out of patience so unless it looks awful, I'm sticking with it.

John,
I found this thread while searching for my '67 dash color. I got a spray can of the Dupli-Color and tried it partially on a spare cluster insert. I don't know how it stacks up for '64-'65 applications (you guys can decide) but it's not too bad for what I need it for.
It looks a little too glossy, maybe it will tone down with a little clear flat over the color.

These 4 pictures were taken with the flash. I will post the 2 I took without flash next post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	67 GTO Gauge Panel - 01.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	480414   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 GTO Gauge Panel - 02.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	480415   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 GTO Gauge Panel - 03.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	480416   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 GTO Gauge Panel - 04.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	480417  

Old 04-10-2018, 04:49 PM
Senior Chief

Here are couple of pictures without the flash.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	67 GTO Gauge Panel without Flash - 05.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	480419   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 GTO Gauge Panel without Flash - 06.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	480420  

-----------------------------------
GTO-The Great One for 1967
-----------------------------------
Old 04-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

67TIGER, thanks for the input and the pix.

I don't know if the '67 color is same as '64. I thought the '65 didn't use the blue. But wouldn't surprise me if the '67 and '64 used the same blue.

The gloss might be an issue. Good tip about the clear.