THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-24-2022, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've said this before and l'm saying it again... Getting old ain't for sissies is it? My knee started barking at me day before yesterday and I can't think of a thing that I have done to aggravate it lately. Just started aching like a toothache and still hurting this morning. Joint pain seems to be the only real health issue I have at 64. Mostly shoulders.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I totally agree with that statement.

I started having my first hints of a problem after a car wreck when I was 28. I had hip and neck pain. Since nothing was broken, the doctor didn't take it seriously and I ended up with a chiropractor. His x-rays showed one leg was shorter than the other and my hip joint was deformed.

By my early 40s, my hip started bothering me. At first it was weekends, and anti-inflammatory medicines took care of it. By my late 50s, it hurt horribly and I knew it was time for surgery.

My neck and the hip that wasn't replaced is beginning to bother me. The amazing thing is the hip that was replaced has given me zero pain after a couple of months in. The doctor said all of the nerves in the joint were removed with the original joint, so there is nothing there to hurt.

I was really lucky that I waited on having the joint replacement. I came fairly close to having my hip replaced twenty years ago. At the time, the doctor recommended metal on metal hip replacements. There are a lot of lawsuits against those types of hips now because the metal particles created from wear cause issues with congestive heart failure and pre-mature failure of the joint. By waiting 20 years, I got a better hip that has been absolutely painless for the last four years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I've said this before and l'm saying it again... Getting old ain't for sissies is it? My knee started barking at me day before yesterday and I can't think of a thing that I have done to aggravate it lately. Just started aching like a toothache and still hurting this morning. Joint pain seems to be the only real health issue I have at 64. Mostly shoulders.

Old 10-24-2022, 03:17 PM

The most important part of total joint surgery is choosing the right Orthopedic Doctor. I would chose a orthopod that only does total joint surgery. Just like cars are different so are Orthopedic doctors as they specialize in different parts of the body. Orthopedics has come a long way, there might eve be a time a robot does the complete total joint surgery. PT is important but it all starts with researching who is the most qualified Orthopedic Doctor to do the joint replacement, that will predict your best outcome.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:48 PM

PT and follow through on the knee/leg exercising at home are critical. I did both religiously and the knee works great now. A friend got a little lazy on his home exercises and scar tissue thickened at the knee. Upshot? Back to surgery for scar tissue removal and start PT all over again. Make yourself do the work...it is worth it in the long run.

The Following User Says Thank You to gokitty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 04:13 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Arrow

Feeling much better and walking without the cane, gingerly.

My PT guy says my recovery is above average, but the exercises are not fun, but necessary.

And so it goes. Still reluctant to get the other one done.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 04:32 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Good news Bob ... glad to hear it.

Since I'm three weeks ahead of you, I am obviously doing better, but l'm still looking forward to some more pain relief.

Keep exercising ... you will be glad you did.

Ogre

The Following User Says Thank You to Ogre For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2022, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If anyone has issues that aren’t at that point (surgery) yet check out the book and give its techniques a try “pain free “. I know people who could barely walk made a full recovery . No cartilage at all, the are now waking fine. Same w back pain . My buddy now plays pickle ball 4 days a week w no surgeries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7406FA9A-1C80-45F1-83D6-1676FC7F2828.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	601745  

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2022, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My Dad, now 98, had his first knee done just on 20 years ago. He's not a good patient and a WORSE person to do the exercises but he eventually was OK. But he refused to get his other equally bad knee done. Said it hurt too much.

Then about 6 years later he went back to his doctor complaining how much pain he was in with the replaced knee.

The doctor simply said your other knee is now so bad you are grossly overworking the artificial knee. Get the second knee done!!

He did, the difference in the surgery and rehabilitation methods in just those 6 odd years was remarkable. Much faster recovery and less intrusive surgery. He is still walking albeit these days with a stick.

Good luck Bob

Old 11-06-2022, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tuesday begins week four of my recovery from total knee replacement surgery. Saw my othro’s APNP last Thursday. Had them take me off of the Percocet( having too many issues with it)and was told WHY I was continuing to have significant swelling: they had to sever all four tendons that attach your kneecap due to the extent of arthritis under my left knee cap, so I’ll spend the next couple of weeks on steroids. PT is going well; my therapist says I’m about a week ahead of where they expected me to be.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post: