Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default how to hang "true" duals on a 73 firebird

Just curious as to how everyone is hanging their system at the rear when using a dual muffler setup vs the original stock crossflow muffler. when i got it, mine had duals, hung at the rear with universal strap hangers installed with 3/8 sheetmetal bolts. the bolts were just drilled into the underside of the body above and ahead of the axle where the original muffler would've been. i've switched exhaust systems a few times since, but have used/modified the universals to make it work. however, i'm always fighting clearance between the leafspring and trunk extension. (if things loosen or move a tiny bit, i get clanging of either at idle) one of the universal hangers broke on me the other day and i'd like to install a cleaner setup. any opinions as to the best hardware to use? PS, there were no factory hangars with the car when i got it. Right now it has 2.5s and x-pipe off headers. i feel the headers are supporting too much of the weight as it is.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my 1980 trans am I use the original hanger holes that are there from the crossflow muffler and tailpipes in front of the tank.At the rear I utilize the rubber tailpipe hangers that are original to the car.In front of the tank I just use universal hangers,at the rear I have a bent piece of steel welded to the tailpipe and slid through the hanger just like how the factory did it.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i do have the rear section hanging from the original hangers that come off the trunk extension. i think i'm going to try sourcing an original set of hangers for the crossflow and see where they end up in relation to the pipes that go over the axle. i'd like to put something between the x-pipe and mufflers for support, but don't want to drill or weld. bad enough i've got a pair of 3/8 dia. holes from the universals. the system itself is all one piece from the header collectors to the connection between the muffler and the pipes that go over the axle. kinda nice for removing and re-installing (takes all of 5-10 minutes to remove everything except the headers), but the front section with mufflers is heavy. when i had the 3-inch pipes on it, i made them one piece from the headers to the exhaust tips, no x-pipe. believe it or not, all it took was just jacking up the rear of the car and sliding the whole deal in under the doors and rotating it over the axle. still have that setup with flowmasters 40-series, was just too resonant at idle--and the 3 inchers always banged the spring or quarter panel at idle--too little clearance back there.