Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Special Update!!!!!!!!

We interrupt this forum to bring you a special update on my 67 GTO restoration. My painter informed me that he has moved from starting to think about painting my car to making a concerted effort to think about it!!!
We now return you to your regular scheduled forum.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
We interrupt this forum to bring you a special update on my 67 GTO restoration. My painter informed me that he has moved from starting to think about painting my car to making a concerted effort to think about it!!!
We now return you to your regular scheduled forum.
Phil, I know this pattern all to well! LOL

Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Senior Chief

Tell him you have been thinking about where your checkbook disappeared to....

Old 03-14-2012, 10:47 PM

This is a prerequisite to become a painter. Mine started out "Ill have it done in 6 months" and went to "its been 3 years your car is finished"

Old 03-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont even know what to say about this.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If this remodel job in Atlanta comes through in time I'll paint it for you for free. It may be a while before it does though.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 AM
Senior Chief

Me....how long will it take a year? Painter....it will take longer than a year! Me...after "many" broken promises and 5 years 9 months later brought car home "NOT FINISHED"!! LOL

Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Painting and buffing don't take long. Body work is what takes all the time.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67droptop View Post
Me....how long will it take a year? Painter....it will take longer than a year! Me...after "many" broken promises and 5 years 9 months later brought car home "NOT FINISHED"!! LOL

Wow, makes me feel better!

I just thought a year and 4 months was too long!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Senior Chief

this is the one subject that brings out the dark side in me. 4 years and 3 collision men later. collision man #1, excellent. worked with nothing but lead and did the best body work and paint i've ever seen. i think the lead was permeated in his brain. i guess it was suppose to be my job to make sure he went into the garage to work on my car. NOT!!
collision man #2 said he was doing the work every time i called him, but when i showed up at his house one day, not a thing done!! promised me he'd get it done, so i gave him another chance, showed up at his house, he wasn't there, looked in the garage window, and the car is gone!!! i want a big piece of this guy now.
he calls and leaves a message on my answering machine, and tells me the car is at some collision shop in niagara falls. i go to the shop, see this guys work,(very good) he tells me he'll do the car and get all of my money back from collision man #2 (which he does, i dont no how)
collision man #3 was all right. it took him 9 months, but there was always something being done. i hope i never have to go through that again.
best to you my friend.
tony

Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Painting and buffing don't take long. Body work is what takes all the time.

So true! And after the paint has been buffed and it's all put together, EVERYONE will ask "Who painted it?" and NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON will ask "Who did the body"?
The paint work is what the average person slobbers over. That's because first class body work is invisible, so it's not appreciated.
I've done so many bodies of basket case cars that have won "Best of Show" or "Best Paint". Ever see a trophy for "Best Bodywork"? "Straightest Black Car"? How about "Best Hand Fabricated Sheet Metal Replacement Part That Can't Be Bought and Is Undetectable"?

I hope you get to see a quality paint job on it soon, Phil. If not, then contact me if you want to send it north to be finished.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Threads like this make me feel like I got lucky. I've had 4 cars painted (with some body work) by two different shops. I think the longest one took six weeks!

I should add that every time, I feel like I got a better job than I paid for.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw