Old 07-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Default 70 GTO Oil Pan to frame contact. HELP

As some of you know, I finished my 70GTO this last year.

I replaced the original oil pan with a unit from OPGI (Black painted model). Pan looked really good, bolted up well, no leaks, etc etc.

When I was finishing the chassis work and the engine trans etc were installed I noticed there was very little clearance under the pan.

Long story short, after running the car about 500 miles since the rebuild running to a car show here and there, I noticed the oil pan to frame clearance is virtually none. A pc of paper will not go under it.

Motor mounts are new along with the trans mount. Everything lined up well and when we aligned it it didn't show to be excessive like frame issues etc.

Where to start?

New motor mount perches?
Shim existing perches? Wouldn't take but about .075 to .1" on each side to shim up the perches and create enough clearance to be comfortable with. (I have access to CNC so I could knock em out).

Any thoughts?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same thing happen when I did my 69 bird.I used shims that werer made from alu.They looked like a front end align. shim so we did not have to remove the bolt from the frame mount,just jacked up a slid them in.We found the diff was the new offshore mounts we used.FWIW,Tom

Old 07-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've noticed that the rubber used in the after market mounts tend to soften prematurely and ultimately lower the engine height, not to mention the specs on them are not really what they used to be! Cheap rubber! Just my opinion

Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was thinking something with the mounts also.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:05 AM

When I was running parts on engine items, I bought a couple different sets of mounts from a couple different part houses. All were Ancor brand.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:38 AM

Does the Chevy and Pontiac have the same motor mount pedestal bolt hole pattern. I hope so, I just ordered a set of these.

Moroso #62535 Motor Mount Shim Kit
Scroll Down mid page
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?CatCode=28100

Old 07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also, '64-'72 A-body cars are known to have front crossmember "sag" issues. This also causes the front frame rails to collapse inwards and you lose camber adjustment - negative camber even with no shims.

Moog (and others) sell offset upper control arm shafts to correct the camber issues, but the car really needs to go to a frame shop and have the sag corrected properly.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 07-24-2010, 03:04 PM

OK, DON'T BY part number 62535 from Moroso. Long story, but mostly had my head in the wrong area. Lack of time, rush to order, etc.

These shims are to go between the engine and the mount on a chevy block, not the pedestal and the frame.

Yes I know, especially after having a wrenching history as extensive as I do.