Old 02-10-2024, 12:40 PM

Default 66 GTO dash pad info. needed

Working on 66 GTO dash pad. I know about the bolts near the grab bar. Beside the clips at the leading edge of the pad what secures the dash on the left side? Do the same screws that go through the speedo. gauge bezel go through the pad also to secure? Or does the bezel have it's own screws to secure it? If the screws go through the dash pad does anyone know the size? #6 #8 and approx. length and do they normally have a upholstery washer on them? My dash pad was not secured on the left side when I purchased the car probably because an idiot assembled the car prior.

Old 02-10-2024, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Besides the screws along the leading edge of the pad, there are also metal clips on the underside of the dash pad's metal structure that slide into holes in the car's dash structure. They keep the top of the pad from lifting up. But there is no bolt stud & nut on the driver side like is used on the passenger side. The driver side leading edge is secured with the same screws that attach the instrument bezel. I don't know their exact length, but they only need to be long enough to pass through the dash bezel and pad and into the metal tabs on the dash structure, so probably around 5/8" long. My car didn't have any upholstery washers when I took it apart for resto, and I didn't use any when going back together.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild