The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-24-2013, 02:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugslyx234 View Post
I took a little cruise out there on Monday but he wasnt there so this next Monday if its not done it will be 600.00 off the bill. I wish I,d made this agreement way back in July and I like this motivational technique. Merry Christmas/ Happy New Year.
Be careful what you wish for body shop that did mine made a similar agreement went back a month later and he was gone closed the doors cars still sitting outside half done been trying to get help with mine for a year now finally got the fenders and deck lid back after 3 months and a court order.The best part was one of his cars won best in paint at the Tampa NSRA meet.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:18 PM

Woody
I have been following this thread now for over two months...my suggestion is get your car out of there.
The contract you got for getting $200 bucks a week knocked off your bill I hate to say is a joke. What's to stop him from adding $200 a week.
I am a owner of a collision shop...notice I didn't say autobody shop.
Years ago I figured out we either needed to specialize in restorations or collision work, it's a tight rope to walk to try to do both, not that it can't be done, I tried both for a while.
As a collision shop I can not afford to tie up a stall for doing resto work even if we are charging time and material, if I ain't selling parts I ain't making money, plain and simple.
It sounds like the shop you got your car at is trying to do both and ain't doing a very good job at either.
He wants the cash flow of doing collision work but probably does not have the facility and modern equipment to sway insurance companys,adjusters and customers to send him the collision work.
So is the reason he takes on resto work to fill the void.
Normally in the winter time there is plenty of collision work to go around to keep the shops busy, so that being said, if I where you I wouldn't expect much progress on your car till sometime after March.
Just my opinion and 2 cents.

Good luck

Bill
P.S.
Seeing how you live in a damp environment.....
I hope the shop at least has epoxy primer on it

Last edited by mudslinger; 12-24-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Update

Heres the deck lid painted jetstream blue. Its a shame that I have to ride his a$$ to make him accountable though. Sorry cant get the pic to appear i,m an idiot.

Last edited by pugslyx234; 01-03-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: no pic
Old 01-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Suspended

Pugs sorry to hear your problems but if you have to go to an atty. NOW & get a court order to get your car out now without him knowing. I went through this same deal a while back. I had to go to court to get my car back NOT done . He will make up a Phony bill saying he has don all this & that & the bill will be more then what it started because the EST. is just that. An EST. His finial bill will be higher & the judge will make you pay. But if you get your car out by court order because the time for it to be done has past. If you pay or agree to give him a pass on the first $ 200.00 you set yourself up for ,,,, WELL how about a 2nd pass then a 3rd. Then it will be the whole thing & you'll end up owing him more then the original EST. If you have paid him for all the work that is done to this point get it out NOW. Make sure you have & get all of your parts when you take your car out because you won't ever get back in there to get them if you don't get them the day you take the car. Please get your car out now before it's to late. Big little , long term or brand new , a body shop is just a body shop & they only want your money. Get it out while you can. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. If you forgiuve him the $ 200.00 you will set yourself up for some legal rules where he can get you for the entire amount ,, I don't remember what it's called but when you forgive something it open the door for something else. I wish I could remember what the judge called it but it can come back & bite you if you forgive the first amount.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Senior Chief

I am very fortunate that I learned to do body and paint work and did it for a living for 20+ years.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks rexs73gto he had this open house and I was looking at my car along with talkin to alot of people there but I didnt trash talk I only was feeling around /listening. He has my car all together and its ready for paint he said this Tuesday so I,m gonna be hangin out there and I dont care what he thinks cause if i dont like anything its gettin pulled. I also notified my insurance carrier and they sent out a rep to look at my car and wrote a report so i have that also. Its scary but i,m hangin ten right now but my eyes r open and its all in writing and i,m not afraid to sue but really dont want to. Woody

Old 01-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Suspended

If he's doning the work DON"T forgive the $ 200.00 per week to him, make him pay for him dragging his feet on it. But I do agree with you about hanging out there , make sure your getting all the paint & work you have paid for. If by chance he says you can't stay & watch thats the time to pull the car as your waking out the door. Don't give him a chance to screw you , because with my experience with body shops & I've had a few over the years & I was a GM service mgr. for 18 years & worked in dealerships fro a total of 33 years & I don't trust them & I could be there every day to watch.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Went to see my car he has the all the body work done, the jambs, trunk lid underside, hood underside and the fenders on the engine compartment side all painted. He told me that the primers been 400 sanded but he is going to wet sand with 600 then its ready for the paint. This has been a very trying experience but he is SLOWLY getting it done I,m cool with him cause I want it completed, thanks to my wife for keepin my dumb temper in check, I owe her: guess she knows me after 32 years of marriage.

Last edited by pugslyx234; 01-30-2014 at 11:23 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-31-2014, 02:10 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutx2 View Post
I got lucky and found a local guy that has a 1 stall shop and a long waiting list. He does great work, works his tail off and if you don't pay as you go, he pushes your car outside and goes on to the next guy with cash. If you jerk him around, you'll be getting your car at whatever stage you quit paying. It's a simple but effective routine.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^
This is exactly how I do paint and body on "customers" cars. Works very well and I stay busy, on track. Have not had one issue.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:08 AM
Suspended

Yes but who get to say at what level your at?? You may think you've paid for more then what he's done & then you have a problem with who decides how much work gets done for what amount.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:51 PM
Senior Chief

I know the feeling, but mine is a little shorter in time. no a lot shorter. I dropped my car of the middle of august and have had the same problems and answers. now my jams, underside of hood and trunk lid have been painted. and have been told it just needs to be blocked and then paint. for two weeks. I guess I will have to wait and when I think about it, its in a nice warm garage. and I can't drive it now anyway.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ive learned a lesson here do it myself even if it looks like crap.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pugslyx234 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Senior Chief

I was a auto mechanic for almost 50 yrs, and painted a lot of cars. the last 12 yrs I owned my own shop and would NEVER, EVER treat a customer like this. but due to bad health I can't paint anymore. I have a hard time to change the oil and filter on the wives car, it take me about an hour. so now I am stuck on taking my cars to someone else for the work. I called the body shop thur and they said it will be painted on mon. I WILL be there mon and see. when you have to depend on somebody else you are at there mercy, good luck and i'll pray for you

Old 02-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well Seahawks did it hooray, wish it was a closer game and half time sucked. I,m gonna go out on Monday and see hows it goin I too dont like people workin on my cars but some things a person has to farm out still gotta watch out all people arnt honest thanks for the kind words guys.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Senior Chief

I was going to stop at the body shop, but got up this morning to 7" of snow. and haven't seen a plow all morning. they are telling people to stay off the roads. so even If I could get there, I am sure they won't be. oh well sh$# happens, maybe tomorrow. we are getting another 6 to a foot the rest of the day and tonight. DA# I HATE SNOW. good luck with yours.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I like snow for a day or two then I want 75 and sunny, at least we have water they even say we are low on rainfall which this has been a dry winter so far . I guess mist/ fog with clouds dont count for rain but its still depressing.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Senior Chief

still no word on the car? no word on mine, a buddy called today and asked if mine was done. when I told him no, he said call or stop down and bust there balls. I told him we have 2 ft of snow and the roads are covered with salt, sinder stone and this new liquid ice melt. I told him it is safe where its at. if it gets scratched they can fix it and I won't have to take it back and fight with them. like I said ,can't drive it any how.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man id be all over them. Sanding 400 wet to 600 wet takes no time at all. I could probably do it in one day. There is no shaping at that point, just removing the 400 scratches with the 600.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:09 PM
Senior Chief

I plan to be there FIRST THING IN THE MORNING, I was holding off because the weather has been crappy, but sometimes a visit gets them moving. we are suppose to get snow sunday and Monday and I thing Tuesday. like I said there is salt and other crap all over the roads and it will have to be flat bedded to my home and salt is n.g. on fresh paint.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Same here last few days we had a shoot load of snow now comes time for freezing rain tonight. Yesterday at noon wife and I dropped daughter off at her job cause her mustang sucks in snow and on the way home we were at a red light when we just started to go then POW in the a$$ we were plowed by this gal after I got my wife calmed down I went to exchange info and she told me to go away so I called 911 they came took statement and gave her a soberity test and cuffed her took her away we went to hospital and now were at home all beat up I still dont know if she has insurance but I do and alot of it . whtz next.