The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 01-22-2013, 02:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Base and clear shoot differently and may or may not require different guns or air caps. The Iwata LPH400 has 3 different air caps to optimize the atomization of the different paints. The silver cap is for clears, the orange cap is for 90-95% of bases, and the purple cap is for more difficult bases such as silvers, golds, pearls, and candies. That being said for your color you could probably get away with using the orange cap for both your base and clear, keep in mind however that the silver cap will do a better job on clear. This gun is at the upper end on the price scale though so may not be worth it for one paint job. That's up to you to decide. Sata makes a good gun too although you need to buy two guns to optimize for each type of paint. If you go looking for guns online stay away from Spraygun World, we ordered one from them because of price with all the caps and never received it, we had to dispute the CC charges. TCP Global came within $5 after I called them, and our local paint store matched TCP's price. You're looking at spending $750 for the set at least. The gun with one cap is around $600.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I said, I'm not looking to go into business. Any recommendations in the $300 neighborhood that will give satisfactory results for the base and clear? I mean, my body work is probably not even worthy of that kind of gun. I understand that I may need separate caps for the clear and base and don't mind buying that.
I mean, if this goes OK, I may paint two or three more cars in my lifetime.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundep...mno=DEV+703496

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundep...no=DEV+FLG-670

Stay way from the Devilbiss Starting line guns, we have a set of those and they are not good for bc/cc. Don't know much about thier Finish Line guns.

I have used one of these, it's an ok gun. I wouldn't choose it over the Iwata though for the price difference though.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundep...mno=SHA+253434

I figure it this way. What's your labor worth? What does the paint cost? A $6-700 gun is cheap if you have to go back and redo a paint job because the gun wasn't up to the task.If you are going to do more cars in the futuire, even 2-3 more, divide the gun cost amongst the 3-4 cars, and it feels better on the wallet. Plus the fact you don't have to pay a painter or shop to paint it for you, and wait months for them to do it.

You are welcome to use the psychology on your wife if needed.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What about catching one of the guys at a local body shop to come by and give you advice, I stopped by the shop that fixes my truck and cars after accidents and he was more than helpful to lead me to one of his painters. For a few bucks on a weekend I bet one of them would help you. I've even talked to them about renting their booth when I'm ready, not sure if I'll do that or not but at least I know I have help when I need it.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 PM

Don't forget a disposible spray suit/coverall and spray sock hood.
Avail at any paint store or body shop supply/jobber

One time spray mask:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_69634-98-R60...torDisplayView

Last edited by sonjaab; 01-22-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a Start Line kit with main and touchup guns and I knew when I bought it that it was only fit for primer. It's been OK for that and for learning.
I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on a $700 gun...no pun intended...lol
I just can't believe my bodywork is good enough to justify it.

As for getting a painter over here to look at it, here's how I got to this point....
First guy was my first choice and is actually a friend. I was going to get him to do it a couple of years ago. Actually, just finish the body work and everything. When the appointed time came, I couldn't get him on the phone. He's about 40 miles from me and I couldn't see renting a trailer and driving it down there when I didn't even know if he was there or was still game to take the car on. I talked to him later but by then, I had just decided to finish it all up at home.
Fast forward a couple of years and a lot of learning about body work-
I finally, got a couple of pros to look at it just about two months or so ago. I drove it to them both since the car is now basically finished.
First guy agreed to give me a price on the following Monday. About 6 Mondays later, I happened to see him again and he suddenly remembered he was supposed to get me a price. He will 'definitely' call tomorrow. That's been another 10 tomorrows...so, actually getting him to do it is another story apparently.

Another guy I talked to looked it over and said it looked good but that he needed to really look it over closer and wouldn't be able to get to it until after New Year's. This was back in late November I think... I called him yesterday morning and he told me to call him back in about 2 MORE months and he MIGHT be able to LOOK at it.
When I hung the phone up, that's when I started to think about the feasibility of just trying it myself and started this thread.
I have about two other guys I would be interested in getting to do it (one of which is the first guy I mentioned from way back) but I just don't have the patience...so I'm just about done asking someone to take my money....and like I said, my car is probably not really good enough for a $5,000 paint job anyway...and even if it is...I live on a dirt road for goodness sake!
Nothing against any of the folks I'm talking about here...I know that's how it goes in the paint and body business. Heck, it's taken me years to do it myself but I'd rather be doing something than waiting for someone else to do it.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 01-22-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Senior Chief

I used a Copper Tekna with 7E7 Cap and 1.3 and 1.4 tip to paint my car. Gun also included a digital pressure gauge. Cost was a little under $400 shipped. The 1.3 is intended for base and 1.4 for clear. You don't need a separate gun for base and clear, just be sure to clean the gun very good as soon as you are done. Since we are not doing this for a living spending longer to clean the gun is no big deal, certainly not worth buying two guns.

I don't recommend trying to paint outdoors. I can't imagine the conditions 40 miles south of me would be that much better. I always had bugs, leaves, trash, pollen, etc blow on anything I attempt to paint outside. Get some 2x4's or PVC pipe and construct a frame. Cover it with automotive grade plastic sheeting. The roll I purchased was 12'x400' and sold for about $30. This sheeting is designed so that paint and over spay sticks to it and does not flake off.

I think part of my success in painting my car in my basement was due to use of this sheeting. Look at post 390 and you can see that I put this stuff down everywhere. Dust is also attracted to this plastic.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...584076&page=20

2014 Infiniti Q50S Hybrid
Marietta GA
Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With all the $$ you would spend on equipment & materials why not drive it to your local Maaco? Their mid level paint job is downright reasonable......

Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 AM

My personal preference for a quality paint gun for a reasonable price is a DeVilbiss Plus GFG-670. You can buy it from autobody101.com online store for $310, free shipping. It is a high efficiency conventional gun, not hvlp so it uses less air. It comes with a 1.2, 1.3 and a 1.4 cap so it will work well for base, clear or single stage. IMHO these guns perform as well as any for a reasonable price. As far as a respirator goes Summit sells a Gerson half mask , P95 organic vapor for $20, disposable spray suits fo $5 and they sell head socks also. If I order from them I recieve my order the next day.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Abe, I'd love to find a Maaco around here and I have searched. They just aren't there. Even the similar types of paint shops that are within 50 miles of here not only got 100% bad user reviews on their paint but they were accused multiple times of stealing parts off the cars. I'm not dealing with that. If you know of one, even one other than Maaco in my area, I'm totally open to that.
As for the dust, bugs, etc. fbrown, that has been my main concern when ever I thought of doing it myself before....and I've thought about it for years.... Especially out here where I live in the middle of the woods. Haven't figured out exactly what I'll do about that yet. I have considered getting one of those metal car sheds...I am going to get one anyway....and use the plastic in conjunction with that. There are problems with that too such as placement. The problem is it probably won't be easy to move once it's constructed...and the best place to have it for painting is not where I want it to be permanently. Just things I'll have to figure out for myself over the next couple of months. .

Old 01-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Greg,

No advice here, but I've been watching your resto for a long time and hope that whatever you do, it turns out good. Good luck!

-J

Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjaab View Post
Don't forget a disposible spray suit/coverall and spray sock hood.
Avail at any paint store or body shop supply/jobber

One time spray mask:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_69634-98-R60...torDisplayView
Somehow missed that post sonjaab. Thanks for the link on the mask. I actually have a case of the disposable coveralls.

Judas, thanks a lot.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Scott View Post
My personal preference for a quality paint gun for a reasonable price is a DeVilbiss Plus GFG-670. You can buy it from autobody101.com online store for $310, free shipping. It is a high efficiency conventional gun, not hvlp so it uses less air. It comes with a 1.2, 1.3 and a 1.4 cap so it will work well for base, clear or single stage. IMHO these guns perform as well as any for a reasonable price. As far as a respirator goes Summit sells a Gerson half mask , P95 organic vapor for $20, disposable spray suits fo $5 and they sell head socks also. If I order from them I recieve my order the next day.
So, you prefer the conventional gun as opposed to the HVLP? Is that strictly due to air demand? I always thought the HVLP guns were supposed to be better in regard to putting the product on the object as opposed to having it float away into the atmosphere.
I have a 60 gal. compressor and so far haven't had any real issues with air supply for my lower quality HVLP guns....but I've got a lot to learn in this arena.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg,
You CAN do this yourself! There is a lot of satisfaction when completed. Plenty of good advice has been given. If you do this outside don't do it in the late afternoon/early evening as there seem to be more bugs around-and they will find your car!!! A good gun can work wonders with even a mediocre painter-make sure it is matched to your compressor. I use a Deviibiss CVI-it can lay paint down like glass. One word about safety-I use a fresh air system--period. While a good mask may suffice why take any chance with your health? Isos can do some pretty nasty things to your body. I understand that many shy away from a fresh air system because of cost but you can purchase one and sell it after you are done with it and loose very little. Hobbyair makes a nice low cost unit.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 PM

Hey Greg, How far are you from Mableton, Ga they have a maaco there if you decide to go that route also one in Jonesboro, Ga

Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Greg, regarding painting outside or inside....for grins and giggles, check out this thread on autobody101.com....

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/vi...p?f=12&t=15614

this guy painted a 1980 Porsche kinda sorta outside in a little metal carport type of thing. His paint job came out fantastic. The thread is super long, but the essential point is made in the first page or two. He used the **670 devilbiss gun also. Check it out.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow...that looks fantastic Dave. The shed with the plastic is exactly what I was thinking of doing.
Jonesboro and Mableton Maacos are within 30~40 miles of me but I don't like the reviews I'm seeing. I found one positive for each but they were the exact same wording left by apparently the same person. The one review I found that was from someone else was negative. Not going there.
Thanks for all the advice so far. I'm feeling pretty positive I'm going to try it unless someone comes along begging to do it for me. Somehow, I don't think that's happening.
The one thing that keeps worrying me is whether I'll have the motivation to start going over the car again to make absolutely sure I have it as good as I can get it before I just start spraying. I can be impulsive like that and let the chips fall where they may.
I have to be patient now. Make sure I get the best gun for me. Make sure I come up with the best location I can here on my property to do the job right, etc. Patience!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You might be able to rent the spray booth for a weekend from a local body shop, I have done this in the past. In Saturday morning, out Sunday afternoon. It's worth asking the question.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by paint guy View Post
You might be able to rent the spray booth for a weekend from a local body shop, I have done this in the past. In Saturday morning, out Sunday afternoon. It's worth asking the question.
Yeah, I've looked around to see if there was any place that did that. I hadn't thought about asking the local body shop....but I will say this- The local body shop owner is the guy that's still supposedly going to call me tomorrow.
There's another one down the road from me a bit but I've never been up there.. I may stop by his place to see what's what.
One concern I have about that is that I have absolutely no knowledge of professional paint booths, ventilation systems, etc. I'm thinking he may be hesitant to let me loose in there after talking to me about it for a few minutes.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just bring it up here and I'll let you use our booth and my personal Iwata for free! Just had to say it... A temporary visqueen booth with pvc pipes and positive pressure fan's works ok. Lay visqueen on the ground first and build a "tent" over the top of it. Or... you can get a storage tent from Sam's club, Costco, etc. for a couple hundred bucks and use it afterwards for storage. just cover the framework with clear visqueen instead of the cover that comes with it for a booth, and paint on a sunny day. Have your fan blowing into the booth with a filter on the fan, and have a filtered hole on the other end to let the air out. I've done a driveway job or two that way in the past. It worked pretty good.