Old 03-24-2018, 03:46 PM

Default Is the Mini Starter the only solution?

Last year I was plagued with hot start issues on my 71 GTO with 455 and RAIII exhaust manifolds. So this fall I took everything apart and found the solenoid to be fairly well cooked. I purchased a high heat (allegedly) solenoid, made sure I bought one of them repo heat shields, shielded the cables and wires, and hoped that my problems would be solved. Alas on the second time out this season it would not start, crank, or click when I went to restart. Two hours later all is fine again. Can it really be that this tight fit will never work with original gear and that I should but the mini starter or do I still have a solenoid problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03345.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	478849  

1971 GTO Convertible 455 #64 Heads, HO intake and carb with MSD HEI, RAIII exhaust manifolds and 3:55 posi
Old 03-24-2018, 04:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ive found using 0 gauge wire makes a huge difference. Started doing this on most of my cars a few years ago and haven’t had a hot start issue since. You can get it at O’Reily by the foot or at most stereo shops.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have the Jegs mini starter on my 71 455 with RA headers and that bad boy starts every time. No lag when hot, great clearance, no problems.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car was moded before I got it to use the ford solenoid. It is tucked away under the fender by the battery. It seems to be “push” the starter better if that makes sense.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetime Goat View Post
...Alas on the second time out this season it would not start, crank, or click when I went to restart. Two hours later all is fine again. Can it really be that this tight fit will never work with original gear and that I should but the mini starter or do I still have a solenoid problem?
My experience says you still have a solenoid problem. I had the exact same problem/symptoms on my 67 wagon (428/RA manifolds/stock starter/solenoid) a few years ago. And it was a "new" solenoid. It started acting up not too long after I installed it. No crank/click/nothing when heat soaked. Let it sit, and viola, it would crank like a champ again. The problem persisted until I finally yanked the starter, swapped in another solenoid, and then the problem finally went away.

As a friend of mine used to say, "new don't mean nothing." I tend to agree.

Of course no telling how long THIS solenoid will last, but at this point (years later), I'm hopeful. The bad solenoids seem to reveal themselves pretty quickly. Once you have a good one, they tend to work fine for years.

Hope that helps.

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3
Old 03-28-2018, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Autozone remans work fine. A year or two ago I had some inconsistent crank and start issues that turned out to be corroded battery posts under the clamps where I couldn't see it. I run headers and no heat shield. If I run my initial up around 18, then every so often my starter complains a little in the summer heat. I'm not so sure you have a pure starter issue, but maybe an electrical connection issue somewhere in the starting circuit: Battery cables, corroded posts, or maybe some weirdo intermittent stuff like a battery issue, or cranking circuit intermittent fault. I actually had an issue once where I was turning my ignition switch too far when cranking: The switch went from RUN, straight through START, to a dead spot on the other side of START.

Old 03-29-2018, 04:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the same combo in my 72 Autozone starter. I just changed it out after 13 years. It is tight in there but if this one lasts 13 years it will be Ok with me.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:22 PM
Senior Chief

I used to have hot start issues on my ‘71 with 455 and Ram Air III manifolds, but switched to mini starter and haven’t had the issue since. Had to get used to the different sound, but that was easy when my car started every time

1971 T-37 Laurentian Green/Sandalwood buckets
455/1971 #96 heads/TH400/3.31 12-bolt posi/4-wheel discs
Old 03-31-2018, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Ive found using 0 gauge wire makes a huge difference. Started doing this on most of my cars a few years ago and haven’t had a hot start issue since. You can get it at O’Reily by the foot or at most stereo shops.
^
This! I had the same hot start problem and after I changed out my repop positive cable to some 0 gauge wire, all is better. I am not exaggerating, my starter spins probably 50% faster with this set-up.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had my starter rebuilt with heavy duty/high torque parts from a local shop. Wasn't cheap at $250 but it works great.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I suffered thru this for years, before I'd ever even heard of a mini starter for a Pontiac. Lost several races because of it.

The best starter I ever had was built by a guy at a local starter/alt shop. He built one with what he said were the biggest guts that would fit into the longest Caddilac 500 starter housing. Then put my Pontiac nose on it.

Those worked better than any I'd had before. But, I still took spare solenoids with me, and had to change 'em out occasionally. I asked him if there was a better solenoid made. He said there was only one type of premium solenoid. And even if they were advertised as "high heat" or "heat resistant" or whatever, they were not any different or better in any way. "High Performance" brand name solenoids were no better, and were actually the same parts, in a different box.

After my last failed stock type starter, which cost me at least one round of elims, I bought a Summit mini-starter. At the next race, it worked perfectly, humming the hot 455 over, with no problem at all. It was a VERY pleasant experience, which I'd never had before. I'd always wondered if my engine would start or not, when it was hot. A reliable starter makes racing more fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-Type Solenoid .jpg
Views:	70
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	479638  

Old 04-01-2018, 02:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe the Summit minis are better now, but the last one I bought would not fully engage the ring gear. Not a shimming or installation issue - the pinion simply did not have enough travel to fully engage. It had no problem spinning the engine, but with such limited tooth contact its only a matter of time before the flywheel is gone. It's still brand new but well out of warranty, so its in my junk pile.

That said, the Summit SBC version fits (and fully engages) my 500 inch Cadilac perfectly. Very happy with that piece.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

sorry you are having issues. Have driven Pontiacs almost exclusively since 1975, close to 1,000,000 miles. Do not own a late model so, totally dependent on my vintage Pontiacs being reliable. And, living in Az, there probably is not a hotter place. Further, I actually tow with them 10,000s of thousands of miles each year. Stater? I have used the stock hi torque ones exclusively, both new and used. Have never needed an aftermarket starter. You should have no need for one either. Use a high current, continuous duty Relay. The ones I use are rated at 100amp or more. Have confidence in your Pontiac. The Ford ones have the right idea but, are too weak. They cannot flow current adequately. An aftermaket relay is cheap and give you confidence to drive it and count on it. If set up right, it never leaks, runs hot and starts everyone. more at the Pontiac Heaven face book page. save your money. no need for an expensive starter. best to you

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11