Old 10-30-2018, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 71 Firebird Dash Pad Availability

Hi guys. I'm sure this has been covered several times in this section, so forgive me for not finding it. I've been more of a race guy, but am currently looking at a pretty rust free 71 Firebird for my next project(ehead 455, Tremec, etc). The car is in a million pieces. The only thing missing from the interior is the dash pad. How hard are these to come across? It's going to be more of a nice driver than a show car, so one from a donor would be fine. Just not sure how hard it is to find these in decent shape(no cracks). I guess the same would apply to the console. This one is decent, but has a few holes in it.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 10-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if you're going for more of a driver than a show piece, then you have it easy;
The early dashes (70/71?) have a slightly different grain from the latter ones;
These are currently being reproduced - the full interchange is 1970-1977.

The dash was revised for the 1978 model year - but the change was subtle;
The radio opening was enlarged.

1978-1981 dashes will also swap in, and with an aftermarket deck, will be almost un-noticable.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

it should be noted the occasionally avail 2nd Gen reproduction dash from Classis Industries is not molded correctly and the result is a large gap between the stamped steel pillar piece & the dash assembly. Hooter, the most affordable way out is to find a slightly cracked up original dash assembly for cheap then buy one of the $110 molded dash covers. There are threads here on PY on the best way to install the repro cover.

Unfortunately, nice original molded 2nd Gen dash asms are tough to find, anywhere in the country, ESP the early versions. Over the last 35 years, have hauled in well over a 150 2nd Gen Birds as parts cars & projects. Have also yarded extensively& dealt with tons of collectors/restorers & quick sale parts guys. Can count on less than two hands how many really cherry 2nd Gen dash assemblys that I've pulled. The last molded dash I bought was little a year ago off a local car flipper, it wasnt cheap. The outer molded area is soft & perfect, it needed a little epoxy repair of the inner structure near the headlamp switch mtg. That dash out of a '76 near 25 years ago & had been saved, indoors, for a locals '70 T/A. That particular '70 T/A sold again, then was traded back to the flipper who offered me the never reinstalled dash & a set of early style T/A rally IIs. Was fairly disappointing to see the nice dash & wheels that was meant for that fairly nice driver to be sold off, but if I hadn't stepped up, someone else would have. Have three early 2nd Gen 4spd T/A projects going & am short one really cherry early dash asm. Am also short a late style for my '79 400 car.

Remolding alternatives... mentioned to a PY member from TX that I'm in for a trip to ElPaso to haul 6- 8 dashes down to Al Knoch. Thats a haul for both of us, but figured could hit boneyards on the way back. Have used Just Dashes in the past, & won't used them again for '69, 70-71 or 72 Pontiac A-body or 2nd Gen Bird dash. Too puffy in appearance, & too expensive in my book.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OPH,

Could you please let us know how the Al Knoch restorations work out? When I heard they were restoring the Firebird dashes I called them and they gave me a price of somewhere in the $800 range, which sounds pretty good compared to what I've heard Just Dashes charges. I have a nice uncut 1970 dash core in the attic, and am thinking of sending it out to Al Knoch to be restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Remolding alternatives... mentioned to a PY member from TX that I'm in for a trip to ElPaso to haul 6- 8 dashes down to Al Knoch. Thats a haul for both of us, but figured could hit boneyards on the way back. Have used Just Dashes in the past, & won't used them again for '69, 70-71 or 72 Pontiac A-body or 2nd Gen Bird dash. Too puffy in appearance, & too expensive in my book.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

will do Chris.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My dash was done by Just Dashes a bunch of years ago.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
it should be noted the occasionally avail 2nd Gen reproduction dash from Classis Industries is not molded correctly and the result is a large gap between the stamped steel pillar piece & the dash assembly. .
I've had a Classic Industries dash in my 75 for about 6 years now. I am totally pleased with the purchase. I used a coupon during a sale and I got it delivered for under $500.00. In fact I bought a second one that I stashed away.

Here is the Pillar gap on my car. Maybe that is too much for some people but I'm pretty sure it's similar to the factory fit on a 40 year old dash.

I am not super fussy but do care some about details. I could have worked the way I screwed the dash in better at the time, or aligned the pillar with it's clip more carefully but I think it looks great.

This car was my Daily Driver for 4-5 years after I rebuilt the engine/trans and it sat covered and uncovered in 90+ heat some days while Im at work. It is not garaged but does get covered in the street or driveway. I have dropped stuff against the dash moving things around in the car as you would in your daily driver and the dash shows no tears, waving or bends. There is a very slight "dimple" where I hit it with something a few years back.

I'd buy one again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45682758361_fd576e978d_o.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	496758  

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372