THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Time to put the old Astro to bed.

Back when we still had 4 kids in the house we bought a 2yo Astro with 50k to haul the kids around. It survived the boys going camping, another 140K, been run into 4 times......

So I was thinking. 1 transmission @ 55K (free replacement) 2 front end rebuilds, one rear end (see boys camping). 1 belt idler, 1 water pump and one fuel pump. 2 sets of shocks and 1 tune up. The Damn thing still runs fine as bad as it looks. After the last time it was rear-ended pushing the wife into the truck ahead I did not fix it.

It did always get maintenance and lived on mobil 1 most of it's life. The AC still works but the PS is getting ready to go.

So for the last 5 months we have been looking for a pontiac that we would be happy with that we could pay cash for. Do you have any idea how many 100k pontiacs have been driven into the ground?

Yesterday we found it. A 2000 GP/GT. 2 owner, always garaged Colorado car. Clean as a pin. All the receipts for all the changes and service. Runs and drives like a new one. $4200

I do have to give the old 4.3 credit but the outlaws now have something to drive (gave it to them).

And the wife,s new ride.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

A pissed off fat house chimp on dope would be a lot more deadly.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow, great deal on the GP!

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 06-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice GP. Those Astro/Safari vans were a favorite for contractors for a reason. They just kept going and they were that perfect size. One of many GM screw ups was dropping this from the commercial line up. We still have 6 of them in our fleet and the guys dont want to give them up. I dont blame them. The alternative is either a Ford Connect or the big 3/4 extended E-250 vans.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 06-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Nice GP. Those Astro/Safari vans were a favorite for contractors for a reason. They just kept going and they were that perfect size. One of many GM screw ups was dropping this from the commercial line up. We still have 6 of them in our fleet and the guys dont want to give them up. I dont blame them. The alternative is either a Ford Connect or the big 3/4 extended E-250 vans.
I will agree. So the front ends like to go out. $300 and an hour of your time and it is as good as new. Simple to work on. The boys tried to kill it a few times but failed.

Since the outlaws now have it I will monitor just how far it goes.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Engine shot.

08 Torrent GXP (wife's)
09 G8 ST (UTE) black

Old 06-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And those Astro/Safari vans were a PITA to haul too. Delivered many of them out of the Baltimore GM plant. I liked the van but hated loading them on the carhaulers we had. I've got a photo of a load I put on in Baltimore. Gotta scan it first and then I'll upload it.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.